Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3 posters

Shield damage reduction, and its interaction with defense.

Siegfried.
    Siegfried.
    Addicted
    Addicted

Shield damage reduction, and its interaction with defense.  Empty Shield damage reduction, and its interaction with defense.

Post by Siegfried. Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:25 am

Do we know which of these values applies first? I'm reasonably sure both values are active when one takes a hit to their shield, but the order could make a difference in some circumstances. Of course, this doesn't matter a smidge when it comes to physical damage against most decent shields, but it's worth knowing for use of, say, the Dark Hand.

So let's go with a hypothetical scenario, in which an attack has an AR of 200. The damage resistance of one's defense values, let's say, will reduce that damage by 20% and the shield will reduce it by 80%.

If the defense value is active before the shield damage reduction is active, that means the shield is working against 160 damage rather than 200 (200 - 20% = 200 - 40 = 160). That 160 is then reduced by 80%, to 38 damage (160 - 80% = 160 - 122 = 38). All good; if you're taking 38 damage rather than 40 damage, both one's defense and shield are active.

If we do it the other way around, we first reduce 200 by 80% to 40, and then that 40 by 20% to 32. A difference of a staggering 6 damage, but it seems the shield acting first holds an advantage.

But what about these values being set against a more powerful attack? Say, with an AR of 500?

If the defense value is active first, then 500 damage becomes 400, and then that 400 becomes 80. If the shield is active first, that 500 damage becomes 100 damage, which is then reduced to 80 damage. No difference, huh? Alright, but 500 is a weird, equalising AR value in this game anyway, so let's shoot a bit higher. Ever been hit with an attack of 700 AR in a single damage type?

Again, with the defense active first, you're taking 80% of that front-up -- that's 560 damage. But that 560 is then reduced by 80% to 118. The other way around, you first stave off 80% of that 700 to be left with 140 damage to deal with. That 140 is reduced by 28 (20% for defense) to 112 damage.

Huh, still no major difference. I suppose I'm chasing my tail here, and if you couldn't tell, this post has been a little stream-of-consciousness. All the same, it'd be interesting to know how this works and in what situations manipulating it would be useful. Perhaps the values differ more drastically with different resistances in both armour and shields? I have no idea. But understanding damage reduction would be lovely.

Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Shield damage reduction, and its interaction with defense.  Empty Re: Shield damage reduction, and its interaction with defense.

Post by Rynn Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:51 am

shield deflection comes first.

Get hit for 380 damage from a hit.
    Block it with a 95% reduction from grass crest shield.
    You don't end up taking a bit under 18 damage, you end up taking 7.

If the AR is reduced to 18, and then defense soaks it up, this calculation is possible, otherwise it's not.
    Siegfried.
    Siegfried.
    Addicted
    Addicted

Shield damage reduction, and its interaction with defense.  Empty Re: Shield damage reduction, and its interaction with defense.

Post by Siegfried. Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:54 am

Huh, interesting.

So I suppose using a shield with lower damage resistance is actually just fine the higher your defense. Something like the Grass Crest Shield or Sanctus is probably a better deal for a high defense character, their relatively low stabilities aside.
    Shindori
    Shindori
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Shindori Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:57 am

you and rynn are my fave posters ⭐u star
    Siegfried.
    Siegfried.
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Siegfried. Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:03 am

Thank you for the kind words. happy
    Rynn
    Rynn
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Rynn Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:12 am

thankyou kindly.
    I figured this out a while ago when i was trying to figure out why blocking a Crystal Soul Spear took away a bit over 95% of it's damage, despite the darkhand only having -80%

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:25 pm