Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+12
meridam99
FexDS
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
JY4answer
Tolvo
Carphil
Emergence
Midgar
Spurgun
Serious_Much
sen545331
JohnnyHarpoon
16 posters

FexDS
    FexDS
    Webmaster
    Webmaster

*********** - Page 2 Empty Re: ***********

Post by FexDS Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:43 pm

So to summarize: the word filter is there because the administrators believe in civility and trust that individuals can communicate without an inherent need to use curses. We all get frustrated and want to express it from time to time, but there are many ways to do so and one needs not retort to vulgarity.

So, if anyone spots another filtered word that needs to be revised like titanite let us know. Otherwise, the filter is staying as is. Thank you for the feedback and I hope you appreciate we are being forthcoming in why the rules and filters have been set as they have.
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JohnnyHarpoon Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:46 pm

Also, if it ever gets to the point where two users truly have an issue that they just cannot seem to work out civilly, that's why everybody has a 'foes list'!
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JohnnyHarpoon Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:03 pm

FexDS wrote:So to summarize: the word filter is there because the administrators believe in civility and trust that individuals can communicate without an inherent need to use curses. We all get frustrated and want to express it from time to time, but there are many ways to do so and one needs not retort to vulgarity.

So, if anyone spots another filtered word that needs to be revised like titanite let us know. Otherwise, the filter is staying as is. Thank you for the feedback and I hope you appreciate we are being forthcoming in why the rules and filters have been set as they have.

I'm sorry, but I do not believe that 'trust' entails limiting what we can or cannot say. I would go so far as say that the action shows you are, in fact, lacking a certain trust in the users of the forum. Trusting us would be you retaining your belief that we can communicate without an inherent need to use curses without actually having to take away our words.

And I mean, you're the bosses, so keep the system implemented, whatever you're gonna do. But don't tell us you censor what we say out of 'trust'. lol!
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:07 pm

I think you are taking Fex's use of the word trust out of context. In this instance trust is used in place of hope. When that hope goes unredeemed, the filter ensures it.

Last edited by Emergence on Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
    FexDS
    FexDS
    Webmaster
    Webmaster

Post by FexDS Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:08 pm

That is not what I typed, you have misread the paragraph.

If you reread my response

"...trust that individuals can communicate without an inherent need to use curses."

This means that we trust conversations CAN be had without curses. Not that we trust users won't curse.

I hope that clarifies.
    meridam99
    meridam99

Post by meridam99 Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:51 am

JohnnyHarpoon wrote:
    FexDS wrote:So to summarize: the word filter is there because the administrators believe in civility and trust that individuals can communicate without an inherent need to use curses. We all get frustrated and want to express it from time to time, but there are many ways to do so and one needs not retort to vulgarity.

I'm sorry, but I do not believe that 'trust' entails limiting what we can or cannot say. I would go so far as say that the action shows you are, in fact, lacking a certain trust in the users of the forum. Trusting us would be you retaining your belief that we can communicate without an inherent need to use curses without actually having to take away our words.

And I mean, you're the bosses, so keep the system implemented, whatever you're gonna do. But don't tell us you censor what we say out of 'trust'. lol!

Not sure I have any legs to stand on but I will put my 2 cents in.

When I first joined the site, before this current forum, there was the old forum. Profane language was flowing like water and I assumed that was the culture here, of course I was wrong. You know as well as I do, that a good percentage of the users (not a majority, but a good number) have never read the posting rules of this forum, and upon posting will see their words filtered and understand there is a code of conduct.

I do not see this as censorship. Censorship is not allowing someone to voice their opinion or stance on a subject, which is not what the filters do. A lot of times when a thread is laced with "colorful metaphors", the intent is lost as people tend to focus on those metaphors. By filtering them out, a thread is much more apt to be civil and lead to flames by removing the metaphors. Hope I make sense.
    ErrJon6661
    ErrJon6661
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ErrJon6661 Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:38 am

To censor is to omit certain words, phrases, idea's, images ect from being brought into public forum. The filters do just that.

But that is neither here nor there. The filters exist to keep the posts friendly, and they do that just fine. I don't know if its the new forums, moderators, or the community has changed but since we've switched over it has been a lot less hostile. In fact its been the opposite of hostile. Its become a downright friendly place to discuss dark souls.
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JohnnyHarpoon Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:25 am

ErrJon6661 wrote:To censor is to omit certain words, phrases, idea's, images ect from being brought into public forum. The filters do just that.

But that is neither here nor there. The filters exist to keep the posts friendly, and they do that just fine. I don't know if its the new forums, moderators, or the community has changed but since we've switched over it has been a lot less hostile. In fact its been the opposite of hostile. Its become a downright friendly place to discuss dark souls.

That's exactly my thinking - I have seldom felt such a positive energy from an online community, and I just know that the people of this forum would keep it up, even if they were allowed to say a particular group of words.

Maybe I just have too much faith in the community...but I do know that, save for one single, albeit multifaceted, incident in the past, this has been one of the nicest, friendliest, most-helpful online communities in which I've ever participated. Since October, I've probably had more interactions with people on these forums than I have with some of the people I love most in the world - my old roommate, my old co-worker, certain relatives, etc. - and when there are so many of us that have put so much time and effort into these forums, whether it be tips, debate, stats, advice, mere conversation and literally everything else we've put into it, it just upsets me to think that some of us might not be able to say what we want to say and, in a way, not be ourselves.

We've helped each other, we've gone out of the way for each other, we've developed relationships with one another...we interact outside of these forums (despite it usually being through another censored matrix). And yeah, there are newer members who maybe haven't had the time to contribute much...but goddamnit if it's not every day I see one more post, "I've never written before, but I got this idea..." or "This is my first post, but I noticed..." and just like that, it's been like we've known them all along. But, bottom line, we're a community.

So again, perhaps it's simply that I've too much faith in the community...but I just don't know how to feel when I think that this place, somewhere that I know I've spent a lot of my time, somewhere a lot of us spend much of our time, somewhere we can all go when we have nowhere else to go, is somewhere where some of us literally can't be our true selves (but with cooler names, of course).
    FexDS
    FexDS
    Webmaster
    Webmaster

Post by FexDS Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:11 am

I'm glad you like the community. I find it hard to believe you cannot be your true self without cursing, but alas we cannot please everyone.

The filter is staying for the reason I explained previously. Thank you for your feedback.
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:35 am

Johnny, I appreciate those warm sentiments. It put a smile on my face when I read that, that kind of close community vibe is what I had hoped for the entire time we were building this site. I think in truth, although we are on opposite sides of the fence in this discussion, our feelings on the matter are in very close proximity to each other, where we have chosen to err on the side of caution. I feel the same way about the community as of late, and think we have been lucky to have such a great group drawn here. Thank you for articulating this, members like yourself have contributed greatly to this edifice. As a result we are always respectful and receptive of ideas. It would be all to easy to ignore this thread out of disagreement but we are always more than willing to openly discuss things. We would never shy away from it, because even though it is our decision in the end, we ultimately do this for everyone else.
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:46 am

All this warm and squishy is making me crabby. Where's that one guy I'm always yelling at? Need to get back to what I know.
    meridam99
    meridam99

Post by meridam99 Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:45 am

Emergence, I am right here, start yelling!
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:21 pm

Sorry mer, but you're not the droid I am looking for this time. You're much too agreeable.
    meridam99
    meridam99

Post by meridam99 Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:22 pm

Sorry, you are right as always....hey your Jedi mind trick almost worked!
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:31 pm

Did someone said my name? bounce
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:48 pm

Nope. Still closed, still closed...
    meridam99
    meridam99

Post by meridam99 Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:49 pm

Where is Serious_Much when you need him/her.
    Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:51 pm

I'm pretty sure he said he was a blond white guy.
    JohnnyHarpoon
    JohnnyHarpoon
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by JohnnyHarpoon Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:38 am

meridam99 wrote:Where is Serious_Much when you need him/her.

I was wondering the same thing (except Serious is totes a dude).
    PastaOfDoom
    Regular
    Regular

Post by PastaOfDoom Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:25 pm

I used titanite to upgrade my whip into a spear.

Interpret that any way you want.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:33 pm

Carphil wrote:I'm pretty sure he said he was a blond white guy.

Perfecto.

and you called? silly
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:56 pm

Serious_Much wrote:

and you called? silly

Ah yes, Serious. Thank you, I feel exceedingly better. You are the Pan to my Hook. Good form. Good form.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:59 pm

Well you do seem to make a better bad cop than good, even with your occasional gags and one liners.

Should really be a quotes page for the best I've seen here, there have been a few.
    Emergence
    Emergence
    Sovereign
    Sovereign

Post by Emergence Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:04 pm

Serious_Much wrote:Well you do seem to make a better bad cop than good, even with your occasional gags and one liners.

Should really be a quotes page for the best I've seen here, there have been a few.

You love me.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:12 pm

I love everyone. I'm just too benevolent.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:57 am