Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+10
Deathsitexxi
Siegfried.
WyrmHero
SlakeMoth
The_Flail
vatar5
StockpileThomas
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
Wade_Wilson
Mr. Tart
14 posters

Resident Evil 6 anyone?

Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Resident Evil 6 anyone? - Page 3 Empty Re: Resident Evil 6 anyone?

Post by Mr. Tart Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:39 am

''I'm Sorry'' :|
    Deathsitexxi
    Deathsitexxi
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Deathsitexxi Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:53 am

I used to be a big survival horror fan! RE4 came out and while it was different I did quite enjoy it. Silent Hill 1-3 were what I always considered the "Golden years". I recently ordered Fatal Frame 4 from Japan and played through it and I gotta say it was pretty awesome too!

Something happened to the genre that I can't quite put my finger on.... Maybe I'm just being jaded and I've played too many but I haven't truly enjoyed (in the scared sort of way) one in years. Leon's Campaign came the closest and I did like Adas as well. I thought taking a trip down memory lane would help and when the Silent Hill HD collection came out I scooped it up on PS3 (I highly recommend against this). Both ports were something I'm extremely disappointed with. It's so bad all the way down to broken controls... I took it back the next week (after beating SH3 again). They say they've "patched" it but I couldn't go back lol.

Other than the big 3 (RE, SH, FF) have you guys played any survival horror games in the same style that you've enjoyed? I own a PS3 and rarely am able to play on my PC.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:06 am

Although i've rarely been faced with survival horror games i've loved them more than anything. I've played RE4. Loved it. I've played Dead Space. Loved it. I've played Dead Space 2. Loved it. I have played some other horror survival games as well, however no names come to mind. I wouldn't say the survival horror has changed, but rather that games are easily labelled horror survivals when they're only half the horror survival promised. And i got the exact same feel from Leons campaign. Loved it man, just loved it!
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:14 pm

That's disappointing to hear. I actually almost bought the SH collection just the other day. Ended up walking out with Ico/SotC instead. Guess I made the right choice. But yeah I second that recommendation. The Dead Space series is incredible. I really enjoy the Siren series also. Check out Blood Curse on the psn. It's one of the most atmospherically awesome horror games I've ever experienced. Be prepared though, it's one of the hardest games I've ever played also.
    Deathsitexxi
    Deathsitexxi
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Deathsitexxi Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:53 pm

I played the 1st Dead Space and loved it, but I never got around to playing the 2nd. Looks like it's about time I take it out of my back log =). I do remember Siren it was great. I'll have to check out Blood Curse that one has slipped under my radar a few times. Since we're on the topic... What do you guys think about the changes it sounds like they are making to Dead Space 3? Since I haven't played the second one yet so I don't know if they are polishing their formula or heading in a more action direction. Here's hoping it's more horror and not a straight up action game. There isn't anything wrong with a lot of action I just enjoy the horror genre =). I don't want to end up with a full game of Chris type game-play....
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:12 pm

I guess I'm a little out of the DS3 changes loop, I haven't really heard anything about it other than having watched a few early trailers and youtube videos. As for DS2 though, if you liked the first one you probably won't be disappointed. I really truly wasn't at all. I didn't really see it as a move towards action gaming personally, more like just making controlling Isaac a bit more accessible, if for no other reason than opening up the ability to get him out of more dangerous situations, like a lot of the enemies in 2 are a lot faster and have a lot more options for sneaking up on you, so they had to make Isaac a bit faster and more maneuverable to compensate. There are a few larger scale action sequences, like the train car sequence, but I found they integrated the horror element into those nicely enough to still play like a survival horror game, like ending an action sequence by hanging you upside down in an area full of necromorphs. so you have to defend yourself while trying to get yourself down. If you liked DS1 I'm sure you'll like 2.

The changes to the zero gravity areas are super fun too. You literally just fly now instead of jumping from surface to surface, so it really opens up the possibilities of being attacked at any time, from any direction, which was something I found was really unique and great about the series. Never really being able to put your back against the wall and know that it's safe adds so much tension.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:54 pm

Well, imma have to go with what the majority has to say about DS3. ''OMFG IT NUH HORROR IT ACTION BUHU!!!!?!''

Seriously though, it feels like it's going to take the same path that RE4 took going to RE5. Action. And i'm not only saying that because of the customization of weapons and the ability to roll, cause that is no problem for a survival horror. Although it gives a realistic feel it might remove some of the survivalistic feel, but that is not the point. From what i've seen the atmosphere is gone. There's nothing Dead Space about it anymore. It seems as if they're going with the rest of the gaming companies. The mainstream money making route. Which kind of saddens me. But kind of the way i feel about Halo 4, i will keep an eye out on the game. Though Halo 4 has already been ordered. Limited Edition as well, though that is not the point.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:56 pm

Too lazy to edit. 8)

But yeah, i actually liked DS2 more than DS1, if that tells you anything. winking
    Deathsitexxi
    Deathsitexxi
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Deathsitexxi Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:08 pm

Just got Dead Space 2 Limited Edition for 16.99 at Game Stop.... I'll have to wait until I get back home Nov 10th but I'm happy with the price I paid and I'm excited to play it >=O

I've seen a lot of folks say the same thing as you Tart... From what I've seen it reminds me to much of Lost Planet (which I thought was ok.. but not awesome). Now that's not saying I won't give it a try and I hope I'm surprised but I am not as excited as I am for Dead Space 2 right now!
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:12 pm

Yeah, some of the things do resemble Lost Planet. However, i believe that it's like a blow under the belt. I mean, so far the only things really similar seems to be that big MF and the fact that it's set within snow enviroment.

And cool beans. Damn be that you're on PSN, would love to have played it. Man, sometimes i wish the damn console war would end y'know. Just one big network. Different consoles, same internet. There's some many cool people on the PSN, X360 and PC, and so many you never get to play with because of it all. Prostration

I do hope you enjoy it though, because it is a great experience. And in my opinion, an even greater one than the first. And remember, don't trust the corners. Whatever you do, don't trust the goddamn corners!
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:20 pm

I'm with you Death. Silent hill 1-3,Resident Evil 1-4, and Fatal Frame 1-3(i haven't played 4, Nintendo was so stupid not to release that in NA. The Wii had barely any games, just putting one out there, a good game that a variety of people could enjoy especially should have been released) Those games are the survival horror games i grew up with, and Res 5&6 arent resident evil anymore cause Shinji Mikami left after 4. That being said, they aren't unplayable, like a few people mentioned even a crap game can be fun for co op. It just isn't a game i can call Resident Evil and not cringe, and to be honest if it didn't have its AAA title backing it up i think it would have done a hell of a lot worse.

More on Fatal Frame, such an underrated survival horror franchise, Nintendo really should have released 4. One of the first things i thought when i saw the Wii U gamepad is how perfect it would be for a Fatal Frame game. Imagine having to raise it to see the ghosts, they would be right in your face. Fatal Frame always did an amazing job on the detail of the ghosts too, it being in HD would be AMAZING?! Completely off topic, the Wii U actually has me interested if they keep bringing games i want. They should really released a 3d Pokemon MMO/single player type game, modeled after the handhelds. That would be a system seller for a lot of people. Have it so you can see the pokemon, and maybe have a system kind of like Persona 3/4 or FF13 where you sneak up to get the jump on them. Or just run into them for a fair fight, or powerful pokemon can chase you putting you at a disadvantage. Really off topic there lol.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:24 pm

Did you guys play FF3? I played through some of 1, and all of 2, and had a great experience, but I remember not being all that impressed with 3. It was long enough ago that I can't really remember what my issue with it was though. What's your opinion on it? Should I go buy it again?

I'm honestly not seeing what you guys are talking about with DS3. I just watched this: https://youtu.be/jRh4fvYPZlI and it doesn't look like anything but more DS to me. What exactly is the problem? I'm not trying to be argumentive, I honestly want to know.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:26 pm

Just want to point out. As i have stated before, as a fan at the early or even the start of the RE i could understand how one would dislike the turnout for RE(don't mean i played since the start, i got introduced at RE4). And i believe that is the main reason to its low ratings. Something i do not understand however is how RE5 was preffered over RE6, as it was more like a better version. And on your point about the title, i actually think that is one of the major reasons to why RE6 was such a flop. People were promised a game that would take RE back to its roots kind of. That it would be a big hit compared to the later games, but it was not, and as such, i believe that the title of the series led to this game being doomed. As people expect more from RE, and not only that, but the promises they seemed to give. Hell, they almost did a Molyneux.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:30 pm

The video you just showed is not mainly what my reason for worry is about. According to an interview i saw somewhere, that which you just posted was going to occur, however, a whole lot of the battles would be taken outside. Whether that is endgame or not idk. But from what was understood and seen, i feel really disappointed. And even if it were not to be taking place outside, there's something even about the atmosphere in the video you sent that didn't please me. (The atmosphere is important to me so..)

But that is my opinion. If you wish for the majority of opinions you'd have to ask someone else, possibly on youtube.

Edit: As for the game, i am still willing to give it a shot.
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:36 pm

No I feel the same way about atmosphere, I feel like that's really what makes a survival horror game. The misty abandoned town of silent hill, or the dark woods during a heavy rain storm in Siren. The halls of the Ishimura in DS. All of those things definitely had a hand in making the genre what it is, but I guess I just don't see what about this is different from say DS2? At least the indoor stuff we're seeing here. I haven't seen any of the outside stuff yet, which yeah I agree could be problematic, but they did make it work at the end of the first one. At least I thought they did. I dunno, maybe I just want to have faith in Visceral. I'm yet to play anything they've made that I haven't liked on some level. I want to be optimistic here
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:46 pm

Well, i don't know what it is, but there seems to be something about the atmosphere that is just off to me. But hey, that's me. And i randomly scream ''I'm a pretty bird!!'' so who cares right?

As for the atmosphere, i believe it to be the most important thing in a game and not just survival horror games. My favorite game to this date is Fable: TLC because i loved the damn atmosphere. No game has pulled off such an fantasy-like, amazing atmosphere. And the music to go along with it, oh god. If the world was like that, i could have anyone chop off my head for free with an crossbow. big grin

Seriously though, loved the atmosphere in that game. And yet to this day has anything managed to defeat it. And i believe the reason why, compared to most fable fans is that i never experienced the first Molyneux ever to be made.(False promises) Thus i didn't expect anything not in the game, which might be why i don't feel like a lot of Fable fans do. I remember reading how Lionhead studios wish to get away from Fable 1, i was all like ''What the goddamn mother*cking pipedipiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiping pip are they thinking?!''

:|
    Deathsitexxi
    Deathsitexxi
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Deathsitexxi Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:52 pm

FruitPunchNinja wrote:I'm with you Death. Silent hill 1-3,Resident Evil 1-4, and Fatal Frame 1-3(i haven't played 4, Nintendo was so stupid not to release that in NA. The Wii had barely any games, just putting one out there, a good game that a variety of people could enjoy especially should have been released) Those games are the survival horror games i grew up with, and Res 5&6 arent resident evil anymore cause Shinji Mikami left after 4. That being said, they aren't unplayable, like a few people mentioned even a crap game can be fun for co op. It just isn't a game i can call Resident Evil and not cringe, and to be honest if it didn't have its AAA title backing it up i think it would have done a hell of a lot worse.

More on Fatal Frame, such an underrated survival horror franchise, Nintendo really should have released 4. One of the first things i thought when i saw the Wii U gamepad is how perfect it would be for a Fatal Frame game. Imagine having to raise it to see the ghosts, they would be right in your face. Fatal Frame always did an amazing job on the detail of the ghosts too, it being in HD would be AMAZING?! Completely off topic, the Wii U actually has me interested if they keep bringing games i want. They should really released a 3d Pokemon MMO/single player type game, modeled after the handhelds. That would be a system seller for a lot of people. Have it so you can see the pokemon, and maybe have a system kind of like Persona 3/4 or FF13 where you sneak up to get the jump on them. Or just run into them for a fair fight, or powerful pokemon can chase you putting you at a disadvantage. Really off topic there lol.

I actually own Fatal Frame 4 on the Wii (spent like 114 dollars on the japanese verison X_X) and downloaded the fan made english patch. It is really great... it's like the jump from RE3 to RE4 but with FF instead lol. I have the WiiU pre-ordered and them having a hold on Bayonetta has me hopeful that if they do make more mature games (i.e. Fatal Frame 4) they will release them in the U.S.

As for FF3 it was the weaker of the PS2 gen FFs. It was playable and enjoyable in spots but it just didn't leave that lasting impression like 1 and 2. Going back to DS3 the videos do look great. I am basing my worry solely on some interviews where they seem to be focusing on Co-Op (similar to RE5-6) and action. Not saying it won't be playable but I don't want them to take their focus away from the horror elements in an attempt to become more accessible, like so many other games are doing.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:55 pm

I have the first dead space but haven't even got into it yet, seems more like a doom meets re4 game then survival horror but still seems decent. As for Fatal Frame 3 Plastic, i think it is worth owning if you liked the other games. It is my least favorite of the 3 ive played though, mainly because 2 was so f****** good. The ghosts weren't as impressive in my opinion, and some people didn't like the whole aspect where sometimes the house is normal(kind of like Silent Hill 4 the room). The plot also wasn't quite as good, but mainly it is just the notes and stuff you find and ghosts just aren't as good as 1&2. Still well worth it in my opinion.

Hell yea, survival horror is all about atmosphere. I hate when i see people say "resident evil 5&6 aren't scary, but neither was the original. people just have on their nostalgia goggles" It is the atmosphere, no games are really SCARY(same with movies). They just have a "scary" atmosphere. Fatal Frame 2 did the best job with this for me personally. Sitting alone in the dark, smoking a joint, playing Fatal Frame 2 is the closest ive ever come to being scared playing a video game. I really wish i had a decent PC, cause there are a few horror games i really want to play.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:00 pm

Wow, didn't know about the fan patch. Don't you need a Japanese Wii to play it, due to region lock? I never owned a Wii, i really want one though, but will most likely wait for Wii U. I wanted to play Fatal Frame 4 so bad, but not being able to read the items you find would make the game not worth playing in my opinion. That is one of the best parts of the game.
    Deathsitexxi
    Deathsitexxi
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Deathsitexxi Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:04 pm

FruitPunchNinja wrote:Wow, didn't know about the fan patch. Don't you need a Japanese Wii to play it, due to region lock? I never owned a Wii, i really want one though, but will most likely wait for Wii U. I wanted to play Fatal Frame 4 so bad, but not being able to read the items you find would make the game not worth playing in my opinion. That is one of the best parts of the game.

The fan made patch works on a U.S. Wii. You have to get HomeBrew on you're Wii (which is a hacking program) but... you are buying a retail verison so it's not like you're stealing anything. All of the item descriptions are in english it is a very well made patch and all fan made/easy to find and install into your Wii. Hell there are even instructions on youtube lol.
    Edit- Buying the Japanese disc is the worst part because it's so expensive.... like I said I spent 114 bucks on it. My wife is a huge FF fan though so it was worth it lol.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:07 pm

That is cool, i had heard about some fan made hacks/mods on Wii. Mainly people turning Smash Bros Brawl into a more Melee version of the game, which is awesome. Even having online from what i understand. I kind of wish i had bought a Wii, i miss my old Nintendo Franchises sad
    Deathsitexxi
    Deathsitexxi
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Deathsitexxi Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:10 pm

FruitPunchNinja wrote:That is cool, i had heard about some fan made hacks/mods on Wii. Mainly people turning Smash Bros Brawl into a more Melee version of the game, which is awesome. Even having online from what i understand. I kind of wish i had bought a Wii, i miss my old Nintendo Franchises sad

Well the WiiU is backwards compatible I believe. So if it's awesome you'll have a chance to play all the stuff you missed =) Owning a Wii was kind of depressing for a while, I am one of the few people that was extremely disappointed in the new Zelda =/
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:17 pm

You're not the only one. winking

*Points at forum name*

Point Up
    PlasticandRage
    PlasticandRage
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by PlasticandRage Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:04 pm

I think RE6 nailed atmosphere, at least in some areas. I think I brought this up in another thread yesterday, but Leon's campaign, a few levels specifically, use the atmosphere to yield some amazing results. I'd even venture to say unforgettable, at least for me. In fact, in agreement with what you said about the series in general FPN, that the classic RE's didn't really scare outside of jump scares, that RE6 is one of the scarier RE's. I'd specifically cite the cemetery stage. It took me probably 20 minutes of inching into the cemetery, into the dark, spawning enemies, then running back into the light at the beginning before I even really ventured into the level proper. I literally had to build up nerve to play the area. That was atmosphere all the way, definitely not fear of the enemies.

Maybe I'll check out FF3 then. I have to look and see if my ps2 still works. I dropped it by accident the day I got my first ps3, and I don't think I've fired it up since, so I'm not sure.

Regarding DS3, I definitely understand that anxiety. I haven't heard any of those interviews, which is probably why I'm not feeling that way also, but I'm in total agreement that a genre like SH doesn't really benefit from emphasizing multi-player. I can only speak for myself here, but I certainly don't play these games looking for a multi-player experience. In fact I think it largely takes away from the aspect of isolation that makes the atmosphere in a lot of them so successful.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:08 pm

I don't like enforced co-op in survivals, kind of like in RE6 where you have a partner no matter what, although it works out there. But what i do like is the idea DS3 has. You're either solo or coop with another player. You can't have a AI partner. So it's either one or the other. That i do like, cause if you're a survival horror player, fantastic, you can play it! Gotten tired of it? No problem! Have some coop! So that's one of many reasons i still pay attention towards DS3.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:07 pm