Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+4
Tolvo
skarekrow13
vatar5
FruitPunchNinja
8 posters

Your favorite old school(8bit/16bi games)

FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Your favorite old school(8bit/16bi games) Empty Your favorite old school(8bit/16bi games)

Post by FruitPunchNinja Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:59 pm

I have been using the emulators i have downloaded a lot lately, and enjoying some of my favorite games from when i was a young lad. Also finding out about games i would have never been able to play. I really miss that era in gaming, so what are some of your favorites. We all love the Zeldas,Metroids, and Marios ext. So i'm going to list some you guys might not of heard of, that i personally love. No particular order.

Pocky & Rocky(SNES) I can't believe how few people have heard of this one

Firemen
    (SNES) wasn't released in NA, so didn't get to play it till emulators. Would have LOVED this as a kid.

Zombies Ate My Neighbors(SNES/SEGA) one of my favorite games as a kid

Mutant League Hockey
    (SEGA)One of the main reasons i hate EA is they never made more of these

Gunstar Heroes
    (SEGA)

Robocop VS Terminator (SEGA) Sooooo BAD ***!

Gun Nac(NES)one of my favorite Shooters ever

Wild Guns(SNES) great game! only just played it recently on my friends Wii

There's so many i could literally just keep going for days, i miss the SNES. I still don't know what my favorite console is, the SNES or the PS2.

VVVVVVVV PLAY THIS VVVVVVVVV

vatar5
    vatar5
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Your favorite old school(8bit/16bi games) Empty Re: Your favorite old school(8bit/16bi games)

Post by vatar5 Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:12 pm

A few comes immediately in mind from SNES:

#1 Terranigma:BEST RPG EVAR(in my opinion),I also love the boss theme and the storyline.

#2 Live a life:Awesome RPG where you play multiples scanarios in different eras before playing the final scenario where all regroups o/...never finished it though.

#3 Seiken Densetsu 3:I really liked the ability to "customize" your story by choosing different characters for your party although some classes aren't balanced(The light path are often bad compared to the Dark path)
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Your favorite old school(8bit/16bi games) Empty Re: Your favorite old school(8bit/16bi games)

Post by FruitPunchNinja Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:22 pm

I was pretty young during the bit era of gaming, so i wasn't really playing RPGs for the most part. I have played quite a few from then though, and they're amazing. I actually started Illusion of Gaia not too long ago, i'm pretty sure that is related to Terranigma in some way. Or has the same creator.

I wish there were more of the old school games on PSN/XBL. Cause a lot of the games i listed have really fun co op. I know they have Gunstar Heroes cause i have it on PSN, but no one ever plays online sad I would kill to have Pocky & Rocky 1&2 on PSN with online co op. Such an underrated game, if anyone has played legend of the mystical ninja and hasn't heard of it PLAY IT!
    vatar5
    vatar5
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by vatar5 Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:36 pm

I played the legend of the mystical ninja for a while but I didn't get anything,the gameplay was really funny though.
    There's also a sequel for it on N64 too in 3D.

I think Terranigma was the last game of a trilogy with Soul Blazer and either Illusion of time or Illusion of Gaia.

EDIT:And of course,I recommend all games that I mention x)
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:55 pm

Ninja Gaiden and of course Ninja Gaiden II and III.
    The Battle Toads games.

RPGs anyone?
    Chrono Trigger
    Secret of Mana
    Illusion of Gaia

Chrono Trigger is one of the best ever on any platform and since the SNES days I've played it several times via emulator. I even installed it on my first android phone but was not happy with control mapping.

EDIT: How could I forget the SNES Lord of the Rings game? That was sweet as hell. Co op RPG kicking butt with Hobbitses!
    vatar5
    vatar5
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by vatar5 Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:03 pm

I honestly don't like Secret of Mana,Chrono Trigger is really great game though but I think Secret of Mana is a bit overrated,personal opinion.

But even better than Chrono Trigger in my opinion...Rudra no Hihou in which you can create more than 300000 spells!(Yea yea)

I also like Romancing Saga 3 but I've given up cause it was too hard xD (Goddamn!Why the poison in Drk Souls can't be as devastating as the one there...)

Last edited by vatar5 on Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:04 pm

Sunset Riders.

King of the Monsters.

Super Mario RPG.

Super Mario 3.

Mega-Man X.

Pilot Wings.

Sim City.

Mario Paint.

Killer Instinct.

Earth, **** worm, Jim.

How could I forget, Donkey Kong Country.

F-Zero.

Donkey Kong Country 2.

Yoshi's Island.

My list is full of games people have probably heard of, but the issue is that the more obscure ones I played, I can't remember their names.
    vatar5
    vatar5
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by vatar5 Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:06 pm

Tolvo wrote:Sunset Riders.

King of the Monsters.

Super Mario RPG.

Super Mario 3.

Mega-Man X.

Pilot Wings.

Sim City.

Mario Paint.

Killer Instinct.

Earth, **** worm, Jim.

How could I forget, Donkey Kong Country.

F-Zero.

Donkey Kong Country 2.

Yoshi's Island.

My list is full of games people have probably heard of, but the issue is that the more obscure ones I played, I can't remember their names.

Oh boy was I glad when I managed to finish Megaman X3...harder than blightown ;(
    Super Mario RPG is really awesome too!
    And the music in F-Zero is really thrilling!
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:42 pm

what the hell? no one has mentioned Castlevania?!!! BLASPHEMY!!!!! and yeah i would have to say castlevania, i was into fighter A LOT when i was younger, samurai shodown, final fight, darkstalkers, king of fighters. theres too many gaaaaahhh!!
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:43 pm

Ballz 3D anyone?
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:50 pm

Super Castlevania is one of the games i just assume everyone loves. I was trying to list some that people might not know about. I liked fighters and beat em ups.

A great beat em up, that i bet the creator of dark souls played is King of Dragons. It has these sludge monsters that grab you and hurt you, and some of the treasure chests can attack you. It's a great beat em up, it is more challenging then the average one too.
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:06 pm

Some games I played when I was a baby and my favorite was Mega Man, Sonic and Super Mario Bros 3

-Duck Hunt
    -Super Mario Bros 1 and 3
    -Contra
    -Sonic 1 and 2
    -Megan Man 3 I think it was
    -Earthworm Jim
    -Terminator (don't remember which)

Then when I was a teenager I played these and some are my favorites, Sim Ant was the all time favorite I just loved that game so much:

-Megan Man X
    -Super Mario RPG
    -Sim City, Sim Ant, Sim Earth
    -Super Metroid
    -Zelda A Link to the Past
    -Yoshi's Island
    -Super Mario World
    -Final Fantasy (didn't had any numbers)

Last edited by WyrmHero on Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:08 pm

Aw man, I forgot all about Sim Ant. I loved that game so much.

I wish I could also talk about PC games I played long ago, but I'm not really sure which ones are 8/16 bit.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:17 pm

eh it doesn't really matter, it can just be old school games. Especially if it wasn't in 3d. I didn't play many computer games besides Oregon trail and some lame educational games at school.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:25 pm

Populus was an absolute favorite of mine, as well as Stronghold, Stronghold Crusader especially. Who could ever forget Age of Empires either. Doom. The CIV games. CnC, and CnC Red Alert. There were so many good RTS(My favorite genre), but I just can't remember them because it has been so long.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:38 pm

I used to find Carmen Sandiego all the time
    StockpileThomas
    StockpileThomas
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by StockpileThomas Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:43 pm

I loved Star Tropics II: Zoda's Revenge on NES. It came out in 1994, which is pretty late for an NES game. It was challenging, but a very solid game. The soundtrack is great.

Deathsitexxi
    Deathsitexxi
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Deathsitexxi Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:52 pm

These are the ones that come to mind as far as games that stuck with me

Legend of Evermore,

Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars,

any R-Type,

Ninja Turtles 2: The Arcade Game,

Battletoads, Castlevania,

Super Metriod,

Sonic 3 & Knuckles,

Sonic CD,

Sewer Shark (don’t think this one counts as 16-bit lol),

Final Fantasy 4 (2 in the U.S),

Zelda: A Link to the Past,

Rescue: The Embassy Mission

Galaga

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 pm