Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+12
DoughGuy
sparkly-twinkly-lizard
Mr. Tart
SlakeMoth
Knight Alundil
JoeBroski09
bmurn
callipygias
cloudyeki
Spurgun
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
skarekrow13
16 posters

A new entry into the "most tragic character" sweepstakes....

skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

A new entry into the "most tragic character" sweepstakes.... Empty A new entry into the "most tragic character" sweepstakes....

Post by skarekrow13 Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:51 am

So I was randomly thinking about one of the bosses recently and came to the conclusion that the most tragic story in the game has to be that of the two Bell Tower Gargoyles.

Exhibit A: There's two more in Anor Londo. This implies that there could be either a clan or entire race of these guys. So.....much like humans they're a dwindling race but perhaps even more than us. I mean, I still wish grievous harm to Rickert, but at least there's more than four humans kicking around. Additionally, they're segmented into groups with the two in the tower arena being isolated with nary a Giant or a Gwyndolin to keep them company. Sad indeed

Exhibit B: The two in the tower are well on their way to broken and dying. The first comes out gangbusters and can be said to be "whole." However, the second guy is missing his tail already and starts the battle with half life. Is the first guy just trying to protect his damaged buddy? Also, I've never seen the first one breathe fire. How did he lose that? I guess they're both banged up. But at least they have each other. Jimmy and Kimmy the Gargoyles have each others' backs and that's gotta be something.....

Exhibit C: Except that Jimmy and Kimmy have to stand guard over the best reason they're tragic figures in the game.....Timmy the Gargoyle. Have you ever noticed there's more than two gargoyles on that tower? How come only two attack? Timmy is dead and just hanging around up there.

Conclusion: You have three gargoyles isolated from what could be their home and society/brethren. All three of these show signs of deterioration ranging from a fairly insignificant limitation in power to a fairly major level of broke all the way to dead. So the existence of two Gargoyles is waiting to die (they're already starting to) while they sit next to a corpse of their buddy until the next "chosen" undead walks in to harass them.

Basically the Bell Tower is a Gargoyle Nursing Home and we just bust in and kick their walkers out from under them. Tragic!
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

A new entry into the "most tragic character" sweepstakes.... Empty Re: A new entry into the "most tragic character" sweepstakes....

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:56 am

"Hmm? What is it?
    There's nothing to talk about.
    We're both cursed; Undead. But what's there, really, to moan about?"

Poor Gargoyles. A new entry into the "most tragic character" sweepstakes.... 2905764326
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

A new entry into the "most tragic character" sweepstakes.... Empty Re: A new entry into the "most tragic character" sweepstakes....

Post by Spurgun Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:00 am

I dare you to make the pinwheels seem pitiable.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:09 am

Spurgun wrote:I dare you to make the pinwheels seem pitiable.

He's obviously trying to use necromancy to revive his own family, hence the masks.
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Spurgun Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:18 am

*facepalm*
    I meant the bonewheels silly
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:20 am

Oh... They're obviously Wagon Crash Victims brought back to life to deal out death in a similar manner to how they died.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:25 am

I would say look at their existence. Obviously manic depressive. You come across them sedate and dreary. Despite their collective in the catacombs there's no interaction, no camaraderie. Each one is alone in a crowd. Then....all of a sudden....they go into a dizzying high of mania. Uncontrollably whirling and continuing in a frenzy of kinetic energy. Inevitably, this euphoria crashes (literally, probably into a wall) and their dizzying high is again replaced by a temporary sedation. Until you put them out of their misery this cycle will continue indefinitely.
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:40 am

First thread of the day that I go in and it takes both my +1's. I hope you're happy!
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:55 am

Absolutely I am. Unlike the Poor Gargoyles and Bonewheels.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:57 am

Speak for yourself. I think we need more of these. Like how the moonlight butterfly is a beautiful abomination and knows it.
    bmurn
    bmurn
    Addicted
    Addicted

Location : the Dead Burg (formerly "undead" but now renamed after a significant effort at regentrification.)

Post by bmurn Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:25 pm

I always thought of the bonewheels (at least the ones by Pinwheel) as a group of kids or teenagers trying to have fun in a broken world. They are riding their toys down a hill (similar to sledding) in an effort to squeeze some joy out of their existence. And then you come along and interupt their fun. Unfortunately, they do not posess the proper coping mechanisms to deal with an intruder and lash out in the only way they know how to, similar to how a child would, they crash into you. Unaware of the harm they are capable of causing, they can hardly be blamed for the lack of strong authority figures in their lives...
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Tue Sep 25, 2012 12:43 pm

So Paladin Leroy's time on the ledge above was nothing more than babysitting?

"Now now Bonewheels. Safety first. Wouldn't want to go breaking a bone or a wall or anything."

Eki, I buy the Butterfly theory. A creature that large with specific dietary needs (moonlight or crystal energy) has only so many places they can fly. Despite it's grandeur and beauty it knows it's life will always be reigned in. Made of the moonlight it consumes, the creature is haunted by it's beautiful bioluminescence. Moonlight energy, as painful as we know it to be, means this wondrous creature is in constant agony as well, likely only daring to feed when it's absolutely necessary, lest it increase its agony again. The assaulting waves of energy are merely butterfly vomit. The end result of our presence being an increase in anxiety to this creature's psyche past its tipping point.
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:27 pm

skarekrow13 wrote:Also, I've never seen the first one breathe fire. How did he lose that? I guess they're both banged up.
    The first one Fing breaths fire, all right. :x
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:37 pm

JoeBroski09 wrote:
    skarekrow13 wrote:Also, I've never seen the first one breathe fire. How did he lose that? I guess they're both banged up.
    The first one Fing breaths fire, all right. :x

Ninja'd me >: (
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:44 pm

Lol. I guess just mine is banged up. They're still tragic though. Clearly.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Tue Sep 25, 2012 3:49 pm

skarekrow13 wrote:So Paladin Leroy's time on the ledge above was nothing more than babysitting?

"Now now Bonewheels. Safety first. Wouldn't want to go breaking a bone or a wall or anything."

And he takes turn watching them with his best friend the Great Axe Black Knight.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:37 pm

The scary thing is that my daughter would probably have a blast at that daycare. I wonder what they charge.....
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:39 pm

I'd imagine an ember and some souls.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:48 pm

Hmmmm.....too bad I get paid in money. I need a conversion calculator. Hope the exchange rate is favorable.
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:31 pm

Jeez Skare, now you've gone and made me cry. Poor old Gargoyles. Ten feet taller than me, fire breathing with wings. Yeah they really are disadvantaged.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:06 pm

Not gonna read every post, but just wanted to point it out, the first gargoyle can breathe fire once the other one has appeared, although it rarely does.
    JoeBroski09
    JoeBroski09
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by JoeBroski09 Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:08 pm

Rarely? Yah right........
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:18 pm

Can't say he does it too often when i face him..it's like...1/10 playthroughs.

What of the Prowling Demons? Poor bastards have to be all on their own WITH NO HEAD! Imagine how that would be like.
    skarekrow13
    skarekrow13
    Chat Moderator

Post by skarekrow13 Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:07 pm

Yeah, they're not in good shape either. They probably just want a hug but can't tell us. Bet they attack out of frustration.

Slake, they are disadvantaged. We pummel two at once right out of the gate pretty much. More importantly is the tragic nature. They appear to be literally falling apart (damn weathering and erosion) with Timmy as a constant reminder that they will soon be dead.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:39 pm

What about the undead dragons? Once immortal beasts of immeasurable grandeur now rotting away without their stone scales. The one within the valley of the drakes is immobile, stuck on a ledge with broken wings and lacking legs, while the other in the painted world is wedged into the bridge, with it's hind legs broken off as soon as it crawls forward.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:26 am