Strength builds

Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Re: Strength builds

Post by Forum Pirate on Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:57 pm

Let everyone think what exactly?

Just to be clear you'll notice I said "AMONG the best", not "the best". big difference.

Most anything is dangerous in the right hands, but the inherant traits of the weapons shouldn't be discounted. The abilitys of the weapon are just as important as the abilities of the user. Katana have some big advantages and relatively minor weaknesses in dks, so its only natural that they're popular.

We are Exiles, and our home is Painted with the blood of trespassers.
    Kiva the wanderer
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Kiva the wanderer on Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:08 pm

It makes people think that the person with the longsword will be easy to beat, I like how dissapointed they feel when I outplay them with an inferior weapon.

Ill be on PS4 at around Christmas time hopefully so my psn tag is "KivaNChips"

Multiplayer titles and Souls games
    Main games on X360 ATM: Dark Souls, DKS2 (Wont be online though :'c), BF3 and Halo 4.
    Target games on PS4: Killzone: Shadow Fall, Destiny and a next gen souls title?

games im following
    InFamous, Shadow of the Beast, MGS V, Lords of the fallen, The Order: 1886, The Evil Within (WOO!), Fallout 4, Star Wars battlefront, Kingdom hearts 3, The division, Warhammer MMO, Watch dogs and so much more.

So many games, so little time (And Money).
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja on Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:12 pm

Longswords are great weapons, and i see plenty of people use them. I see tons of people use the longsword,and TONS of people use the Balder side sword. I don't think anyone will be like "oh they're using a longsword, i will win for sure"

Pretty much any weapon in the game is viable for pvp, theres very few that are extremely difficult to win fights with. Mainly the lighter low dmg weapons, but those are more made for low lvls or a build that focuses on casting rather ten a pure melee build.
    Kiva the wanderer
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Kiva the wanderer on Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:20 pm

Balder side sword is still sexy though.

Main games on X360 ATM: Dark Souls, DKS2 (Wont be online though :'c), BF3 and Halo 4.

games im following
    InFamous, Shadow of the Beast, MGS V, Lords of the fallen, The Order: 1886, The Evil Within (WOO!), Fallout 4, Star Wars battlefront, Kingdom hearts 3, The division, Warhammer MMO, Watch dogs and so much more.

Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate on Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:35 pm

The only longsword I see frequently is the bss, because its got primary dex scaling instead of the split.

The longsword moveset is fine, its the huge investment required for generally paltry damage that kills it.

Kiva the wanderer
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Kiva the wanderer on Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:38 pm

I think that their should have been more straight swordds>

games im following

WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero on Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:38 pm

Longswords/SSS are pretty good when upgraded to elemental, since they have C/C scaling. And the R2 thrust is so OP.

Dedicated Blade of the Darkmoon.
    Chaos Legion Str weapons covenant
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God on Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:45 pm

I use the Silver Knight Straight sword and SLSS and do well with them on my 40/40 build. There's not a huge difference between them and Katanas, in terms of moveset or anything else. When both are +15, the SS will have slightly lesser damage, but that's remedied by the fact that the katanas deal slash damage, making them weaker against armor. They have very similar attack speeds and movesets, including the 1h poke, and straight swords take so little stamina to swing, you can deal massive damage with combos, mixing it up between light and heavy attacks in the same combo. The only thing the the BSS has over other Straight swords is one-stat scaling balance, which makes it viable for Dex builds like katanas. For a 40/40 build, though, I see no reason to use the BSS when the SLSS has nearly the same moveset and significantly more damage.

7:eye-death: http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t22607-children-of-the-grave-now-recruiting#472079 :eye-death:             

PSN accounts: Ghadis_God
                         ringo_mogire_SZS
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate on Wed Sep 26, 2012 8:19 pm

why would one make a 40/40 build, the point of which is to maximise unbuffed damage, and then use a longsword? Especially when one could have saved 20-29 points in str and used a katana, which has similar damage, speed and reach (much more reach in the wps case).

Thats a validation of my point. They can work, but the investment required to make them work is too high for their relative power. If one has a 40/40 for a different weapon, like a zweihander (imo far and away the best ugs despite its sub standard damage due to its extra reach and more versatile moveset) or a claymore, then a longsword could work quite well as a backup.

They have the same problem as velkas rapier. Perfectly viable, but other weapons have similar abilites but are buffable and do pure (read as more) damage. If you have a low dex caster already then its great, but if you don't then there is nothing to be gained by building for it as other rapiers are longer and stronger.

Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil on Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:18 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:why would one make a 40/40 build, the point of which is to maximise unbuffed damage, and then use a longsword?

Because European swords rocks! Praise the Sun

I'm not the chosen one, I'm the one who chose to be more.

Carphil_BR on PSN :bas:
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard on Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:18 pm

http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/?c=2041301596284844

mid roll, strong weapon with good range (also heals 4 hp per strike!) fast no stagger secondary weapon and 103 poise and a composite bow for range.

Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God on Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:32 pm

I've fought a good Butcher Knife user, he was nearly naked and dual wielding them but he was doing surprisingly well, both against me and a BP he summoned that he beat. It has the advantage of having the best range of the axes besides the Crescent Axe.

7:eye-death: http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t22607-children-of-the-grave-now-recruiting#472079 :eye-death:             

PSN accounts: Ghadis_God
                         ringo_mogire_SZS

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:13 pm