Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+7
Gazman0169
xSomax
Pesth
callipygias
Siegfried.
FellipeMariano
Back Lot Basher
11 posters

Solo low-level run comes to a crashing end...

Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Solo low-level run comes to a crashing end... Empty Solo low-level run comes to a crashing end...

Post by Back Lot Basher Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:51 pm

This was the point I kind of figured I'd hit a wall. O&S, all by myself, level 5 Pyromancer. The pyro was doing a decent enough job when it landed, but having those two bearing down on my constantly was just too much sensory overload for my old dude reflexes. Must have tried for an hour. In any case, I loved the experience of doing a low level run. I suppose I could try summoning Solaire, but I don't know how much use he'd be anyway.

I really hate those two... :evil:
    FellipeMariano
    FellipeMariano
    Addicted
    Addicted

Solo low-level run comes to a crashing end... Empty Re: Solo low-level run comes to a crashing end...

Post by FellipeMariano Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:55 pm

Get some sunbros to help you... then carry on the journey.
    Siegfried.
    Siegfried.
    Addicted
    Addicted

Solo low-level run comes to a crashing end... Empty Re: Solo low-level run comes to a crashing end...

Post by Siegfried. Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:32 pm

I did this at SL1. And trust me, if I can do it, anyone can. lol

I believe the equipment I used was the FaP ring, the Mask of the Mother, and then either the Wolf Ring or Havel's Ring. If I recall, I was mixing up sets pretty heavily, with some Knight gear, some Wanderer gear and perhaps some Black Leather and Shadow gear. But I wanted to ensure fast roll and at least a little poise. I also had a fairly well-upgraded fire weapon, courtesy of a post-Ceaseless Discharge suicide run into the Demon Ruins. Waldorf and Statler don't like fire much.

The other half of it is strategy, and it depends on who you want to kill first. Downing Slim is just a matter of pulling him away from Fatboy with his own speed and taking attacks of opportunity. But if you want to down Godzilla before you turn your sights towards Ultraman, you have to use the former as a shield against the latter due to their great size and slow speed. It's mostly a case of picking your attacks carefully and trying to line up situations where only one can or is likely to attack you at the time. If you have Power Within, this might be a good time to use it, too, since you're likely to only take one, two or three hits before going down anyway, and the health drain won't do much to change that.

Good luck! You can do it.
    Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:36 pm

I did notice that running to the opposite end does buy a lot of time in some cases. I just can't seem to keep them separated long enough...they're so aggressive. The upside was, the pyro hit them hard..
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Wed Sep 19, 2012 5:42 pm

Patience, patience, patience. The 3 P's of that fight on a low lvl. Pillars too, so 4 P's. Get used to hitting Orn just once when you're sure you have the opp. One poke and you're out. It takes a long time, but when you get it down it won't be so bad next time... except that it'll be NG+, so it WILL be that bad.
    Pesth
    Pesth
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Pesth Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:10 pm

I did it with a SL 5 pyro, 5 great combustions with a +15 glove is enough to kill orstein using the wings on the head and the bellowing ring, you HAVE to fast roll... And in that SL you are capable to get some red chunks and the Great fire ember thing... Super smough is really weak to fire i killed him with a +8 fire broadsword, it was a pain in the *** but it isnt impossible
    xSomax
    xSomax
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by xSomax Wed Sep 19, 2012 7:27 pm

a trick i found useful in the O&S fight was baiting smough into an attack, to fish ornstein out from behind him. while he's in an attack animation, you can do what you will with ornstein. its a pretty risky move for a low level though. if you end up getting hit i'd expect its a one-shot. if you can get ornstein in front of smough it gets a lot easier, but if he's behind smough then its like a wall of fat(or muscle, i'm never sure if its armor or not) that you don't wanna hit. basically, you need to bait smough into a move to hit ornstein. after that, just pyro smough down. sorry if you already tried this, just figured i'd chip in my 2 cents
    Gazman0169
    Gazman0169
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Gazman0169 Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:19 am

NOooooooooo! Don't give up now, not when you're so close to DkS immortality! :evil:

You can do this, just stick and move. Do it for us old guys! lol

BTW, Solaire can be very useful in this fight, as more often than not he will aggro little and large just enough to take their minds off of you so that you can then get the sneaky attacks in, but be warned if you dish out too much damage at any one time they'll quickly turn their attention to you.
    Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher Thu Sep 20, 2012 11:57 am

Gazman0169 wrote:NOooooooooo! Don't give up now, not when you're so close to DkS immortality! :evil:

You can do this, just stick and move. Do it for us old guys! lol

LOL...thanks for the encouragement. Okay, so maybe my old dude reflexes aren't so rusty after all. Since I could tell that my giving up might shatter all of you irreparably, I decided to have another go. Spent 2.5 hours of trying all kinds of combos, weapons, etc. I did try using Solaire once. Had to spend a humanity to go human, and when I brought him in, it looked like it was going well. He drew lots of aggro, and gave me time to finish O with some pyro. Then he got flattened by the fat man's hammer, and I was alone again. Ended up getting nailed by that move where he pushes his hammer like a bulldozer, then swipes. DEAD.

Cue the ungainly sight of a grown man weeping into his hands. Thought about giving up again, but by this point I was more pissed than anything. I needed to skewer those two more than I needed food, shelter, or love.

Anyway, onto the famous final scene... Wiping the sweat from my controller, I went in alone again, without Solaire. I managed to get them going in circles, and watched Ornstein closely, so I could dodge when he made that lunge attack. Four Great Fireballs finished him, and then I drew Smough into the middle of the room.

For a minute or so, I didn't even bother trying to counter...I just waited for his attacks, and got my bearings as I focused on evasion. The single hammer strikes were pretty easy...I just dodged laterally (so I'd be close enough for a follow up pyro attack). The only time I really got nervous was when I did his bulldozer thing, since I'd been burned by it so many times. I just backpedaled then dodged sideways as soon as he swiped.

One by one, those fiery orbs of vengeance struck home. In my head, I could smell the fat man's blubber sizzling. Slowly, he fell to the surging anger I had unleashed. When he took that final swipe and missed, with his health whittled down to nothing, I could taste the victory before I even had it in hand. Watching that last fireball arc through the air, time seemed to freeze, and explode again in the moment that he threw back his head and fell again, becoming nothing but mist. In my elation, I shouted out a huge FUUUUUUUUUUUUU at the TV screen. (okay, re-reading that paragraph, I feel like a total geek).

Kind of a long way to go yet, and I still may fall flat on my face. But at least, for today, those goons didn't get the best of me! Thanks again for the encouragement.

A side note: I discovered that a +10 light crossbow can do 180+ damage
    against Smough, much more than it does again Ornstein. I'd say about 15
    well placed bolts into that doughball of a belly would take him. But
    it has to be 1 shot at a time then evasion, right after dodging a hammer blow, or
    there's no time to get out of the reload animation.
    RNsunbro
    RNsunbro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by RNsunbro Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:30 pm

Just wondering what did you put your other 4 stats in? I have a level 1 pyro if you need help.
    Back Lot Basher
    Back Lot Basher
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Back Lot Basher Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:12 pm

RNsunbro wrote:Just wondering what did you put your other 4 stats in? I have a level 1 pyro if you need help.

I put 3 stats into dex so I could use a shortbow, and one more into endurance. It's a good balance of stats, as I can use a nice variety of small weapons and light armor, while fast rolling, or even put on the Elite Knight set if I need to tank for some poise (like when taking on the ghosts).

Thanks the for offer...before this is over I may start taking people up on it!
    XachAttack
    XachAttack
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by XachAttack Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:25 pm

I've really got to try one of these sometime..good job beating the wonder twins! Almost done.
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by callipygias Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:53 pm

+1, Basher. Way to stick to it.
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:31 pm

You can do it dude, don't doubt yourself. You just have to do your best to separate them from each other. I'm not sure what type of weapon you're using, but fire would be better then lightning for them.

What are your best weapons/shields at the moment?
    Hellion7776
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Hellion7776 Mon Sep 24, 2012 1:41 am

(okay, re-reading that paragraph, I feel like a total geek).

This single comment along made my night and you sire DESERVE a +1 !

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:39 am