Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+5
HomicidalCanine
Gazman0169
ssss_2_is_pwnage
callipygias
RedderAI
9 posters

Blue Flames

RedderAI
    Addicted
    Addicted

Blue Flames Empty Blue Flames

Post by RedderAI Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:49 am

The blue flames in New Londo Ruins, anyone actually think about these? If fire was once part of the sorcery group before the Flame of Chaos and after can only be used through pyromancy how did the people of new Londo change the color..... It always struck me as odd. The NLR are the only place in the whole game to use this Blue flame as path markers. Maybe NLR were once a place for a different off-shoot of pyromancy or the blue flame is as simple as adding a certain ingredient for the oil.

Anyways, I always found new kind interesting. If there was ever going to be another DLC I would hope it would shed some light on New Londo. Especially since the lore points out that New Londo was once a very rich place in terms of culture. It would even be cool if you went bak to the past and got to meet the 4 kings and watch their descent into darkness. Meet the other sealers too and explore all the other areas that are in accessible after the flooding of new Londo.

New Londo used to scare the **** outbid me but after awhile it became my favorite place just to study and explore. It's a shame everything after Anor Londo was a let down. New Londo always seemed really small when you get use to it.
    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Blue Flames Empty Re: Blue Flames

Post by callipygias Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:33 pm

RedderAI wrote:The blue flames in New Londo Ruins, If fire was once part of the sorcery group
    That is really creative thinking. Have no idea if it has merit, but that's something I never would've thought of.
    ssss_2_is_pwnage
    ssss_2_is_pwnage
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by ssss_2_is_pwnage Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:24 pm

Where are there Blue Flames in New Londo? I don't remember seeing them. Or am I just misunderstanding this thread?
    RedderAI
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by RedderAI Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:43 pm

ssss_2_is_pwnage wrote:Where are there Blue Flames in New Londo? I don't remember seeing them. Or am I just misunderstanding this thread?

When you enter NLR from the Firelink Shrine, past all the undead. when you start walking down the wooden walkway toward the first two ghosts there are torches with blue flames. Looks like a magical flame as opposed to an actual torch.

Was New Londo around before the fall of Izalith? Before the Flame of Chaos? If so maybe New Londo's blue flames are the remnants of what was capable of fire sorceries? If so fire sorceries were maybe much easier to manipulate.

The witches did weave great firestorms right? What influence did they have above Lost Izalith. It's just so fascinating.
    ssss_2_is_pwnage
    ssss_2_is_pwnage
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by ssss_2_is_pwnage Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:48 pm

Ohhh I guess I never really thought about it, it went right over my head haha. Atually, you aer right. That is an interesting thought, they have to stay lit so it could even have something to do with a real reason why Rickert is there, maybe he's a "tourchkeeper" of sorts haha. Just an odd thought off the top of my head. He could be the reason those tourches don't go out.
    RedderAI
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by RedderAI Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:11 pm

ssss_2_is_pwnage wrote:Ohhh I guess I never really thought about it, it went right over my head haha. Atually, you aer right. That is an interesting thought, they have to stay lit so it could even have something to do with a real reason why Rickert is there, maybe he's a "tourchkeeper" of sorts haha. Just an odd thought off the top of my head. He could be the reason those tourches don't go out.

I doubt he's a torch keeper since he's from Vinheim and he's also a he. Lol

They seem magical to me if you compare them to other torches in game. The undead torches are lit around the wood while the New Londo blue flames float above the torch.

If they are magical then it HAS to be remnants of the Izalith Witches fire sorceries meaning the witches HAD TO HAVE an influence on New Londo! Which also means New Londo had to have been around before the flame of chaos which means there was a great period of time when the gods rules without the bed of chaos spewing out demons. It's a huge connection that just fell into place with THE SIMPLE BLUE FLAMES!!

It's amazing to me!! Where else would the witches have influence? Maybe the Flame God Flann is the Izalith brother? Could make sense? We never hear the name of the Izalith Brother and we never hear about Flann's backstory either. Maybe te witches have a much bigger influence than we think.

EDIT: or the blue flames could just be a natural fire but is made with different physical ingredients for tinder to make a blue flame. I doubt it though.
    Gazman0169
    Gazman0169
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Gazman0169 Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:58 pm

Or maybe the Games Developers simply came into work one day and thought "You know what NLR needs? Blue torches, to add to the whole eery atmosphere of the place." lol
    HomicidalCanine
    HomicidalCanine

Post by HomicidalCanine Tue Sep 18, 2012 3:59 pm

You've a good eye, I assume they're the product of some flame sorcery. I've always assumed that flame sorceries would have been accessible to others, not just the witches of Izalith. Sorcery was used by others, why not flame sorceries? I guess the colour is due to it being a sorcery, like pretty much every other spell in the game.

Could be something to do with Oolacile though, they had mastery over light creating spells, though this seems much cruder.

Also, now I think about it, the torches must have been a recent addition. The torches are on a very crude wooden bridge, above the flooded city. I don't see that rickety bridge being one of the entrances into such a rich city.

Hope this makes sense. Really tired, I suspect it shows.
    lordgodofhell
    lordgodofhell
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by lordgodofhell Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:10 pm

Very interesting point Redder, +1 for a creative thread among the sea of border line flaming threads!

All I know about the mysterious blue flames of New Londo, is that they are a direct palate swap of the fire arrows flame on the tip of the arrowhead.

This thread makes me want to talk about the exploding skulls of Cata and how we can maybe one day harness their power. But I wont derail
    lol!
    Everynevers
    Everynevers
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Everynevers Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:54 pm

It's the Chandrian.

... oh... sorry. Very perceptive observation. Damn game is way too freakin' layered, lol. And I love it.
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:42 pm

The more flames the merrier as far as I'm concerned. I'm thinking of equipping the Skull Lantern when I go there. It's sooo.. dark and creepy.
    RedderAI
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by RedderAI Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:48 pm

SlakeMoth wrote:The more flames the merrier as far as I'm concerned. I'm thinking of equipping the Skull Lantern when I go there. It's sooo.. dark and creepy.

If you use either of the three ways to light your way (skull lantern, sunlight maggot, or Cast light) it will just darken the areas ahead of you, it's actually a hindrance. Even in the catacombs too.
    SlakeMoth
    SlakeMoth
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SlakeMoth Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:54 pm

RedderAI wrote:
    SlakeMoth wrote:The more flames the merrier as far as I'm concerned. I'm thinking of equipping the Skull Lantern when I go there. It's sooo.. dark and creepy.

If you use either of the three ways to light your way (skull lantern, sunlight maggot, or Cast light) it will just darken the areas ahead of you, it's actually a hindrance. Even in the catacombs too.

O.K., thanks for that.
    befowler
    befowler

Post by befowler Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:30 pm

Not a loremaster, but I also always found it weird how the "harmless" hollows congregate there, of all places. Only other ones seem to be around the Altar of Sunlight, and back in the asylum of course. And some of them seem to be mourning the deaths of other nearby hollows.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:25 pm