Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+21
Marino.
FruitPunchNinja
Back Lot Basher
Christoph
IV_Mark_VI
Mr. Tart
TehInfamousAmos
Alara78
Glutebrah
ViralEnsign_
Siegfried.
mugenis4real
Seignar
Slarg232
Forum Pirate
WhatDoesThePendantDo?
reim0027
Joichiro
RANT
xSomax
T-King-667
25 posters

Rings discussion

T-King-667
    T-King-667
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Rings discussion Empty Rings discussion

Post by T-King-667 Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:49 pm

A thread bassed around What rings are your favorite, least favorite, overpowered, underpowered Improvements to the underpowered, or nerfs to the overpowered to make them more balanced or viable. Or what rings would you add to the game (give name of ring and its effects) So i would change the blue tearstone ring, instead of its effects kicking in at 20% of hp remaining it would kick in at 30% Because with a mere 20% your gonna get one shotted regardless in most cases anyway. I would nerf the rofap By giveing it only a 15% boost instead of 20, Id buff the tiny beings ring to give at least 10% of health. Id make a ring that would boost, your curse/bleed/poison resistance by a small amount (like the speckled jewel ring does for your magic/fire/lightning def) Share your ideas everybody.
    xSomax
    xSomax
    Addicted
    Addicted

Rings discussion Empty Re: Rings discussion

Post by xSomax Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:07 pm

i use various rings for various situations, but i use a fast character build usually, so i use RoFaP(which doesn't need nerfed due to its effect of breaking when taken off, please keep that in mind) otherwise i switch between hornet, wolfs, or a situational ring(like the rusted iron ring)

as for the idea's, those sound good except for the tearstone one. thats supposed to kick in as low as possible, as a last stand, hit or miss. theres not supposed to be leeway. its a ring centered around bringing out your full potential in a truly dire situation. if they raised its minimum requirement, that would defeat the purpose
    RANT
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:11 pm

i alwasy though the rof was and is still the best ring in the game, a lot better than the dwgr. what the hell is up with the witch's ring though?
    Joichiro
    Joichiro
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Joichiro Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:14 pm

i agree with the Blue TSR. maybe a buff to that ring would make it more viable for pvp and pve...
    xSomax
    xSomax
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by xSomax Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:18 pm

The witch's ring is meant to make it possible to talk to quelaan, leader of the Daughter of chaos covenent. again, the Tearstone rings ARE viable in PvE(not so much PvP). they are meant to be a 1-hit, 1 kill scenario, that tests your true skill as a player. the better you dodge, the more you block and the quicker you attack, the more use you'll get out of this ring. once again, it is meant to CHALLENGE you. no point in buffing a ring thats meant to CHALLENGE you.

sorry if i'm seeming like an *** with that, but seriously, it is intended that way. buffing it would take out that Challenge and make the ring near pointless.
    T-King-667
    T-King-667
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by T-King-667 Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:23 pm

xSomax wrote:i use various rings for various situations, but i use a fast character build usually, so i use RoFaP(which doesn't need nerfed due to its effect of breaking when taken off, please keep that in mind) otherwise i switch between hornet, wolfs, or a situational ring(like the rusted iron ring)

as for the idea's, those sound good except for the tearstone one. thats supposed to kick in as low as possible, as a last stand, hit or miss. theres not supposed to be leeway. its a ring centered around bringing out your full potential in a truly dire situation. if they raised its minimum requirement, that would defeat the purpose
    It kicks in when your at 20% left or lower, You may survive 1 extra attack if your at EXACLY 20% of health, but obviously thats only 1/20 chances of happening, and 50% def boost to 20% of health would give you 40% of health technically, which again that applys if your at exactly 20% of health left.
    But i wont argue with you, if you think it shoul stay the same way then so be it. silly
    xSomax
    xSomax
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by xSomax Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:31 pm

your math is off there. its not 50% damage reduction, its a 50% defence boost. its like adding half your current armor at lower than 20% health. you'd have at most 25% health if you think of it that way.
    Joichiro
    Joichiro
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Joichiro Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:39 pm

even with 50% more of def at 20% health it would usualy result in a one hit kill, the only way i think that ring would be viable in pvp it's against quick dsp builds.
    T-King-667
    T-King-667
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by T-King-667 Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:40 pm

xSomax wrote:your math is off there. its not 50% damage reduction, its a 50% defence boost. its like adding half your current armor at lower than 20% health. you'd have at most 25% health if you think of it that way.
    I thought when it activated you take half damage? well whatever, wouldent that make the ring even worse than i thought then?
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:50 pm

My ring choices are pretty straight forward. FaP-Wood.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:53 pm

What can I say? I like the Lingering Dragoncrest Ring.
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:59 pm

I'd dissable the use of the wolf ring while armored.
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:00 pm

Forum Pirate wrote:I'd dissable the use of the wolf ring while armored.

Cloth armor as well?
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:17 pm

0 poise armor would be acceptable.

My problem is that without the beiber ring, dex builds can still stop at 40 end and fast roll with 76 poise where str weapons need an end of at least 51 for the clubs and 68 for the dgm, thus further handicapping the already difficult to use weapon classes. (this is a long rant so i'll stop there)

When everyone could do it I didn't have a problem, but when only the dex weapons can do it I become irritated.
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:22 am

Honestly, the only rings worth bothering with are Havel's and FAP. Give me Armor and weapons, this magic crap is for the weak.
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:29 am

With the DWGR nerf, Havel is the way to go. Fast Roll or at least carry more and keep Mid-Rolling.
    mugenis4real
    mugenis4real
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by mugenis4real Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:47 am

I think any sane DS player would agree with me in saying that after the nerf of the DWGR, the RoFaP is undoubtedly #1 when it comes to rings now king
    Siegfried.
    Siegfried.
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Siegfried. Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:43 am

I disagree, but my sanity was in question in the first place.

The issue with the FaP ring has always been that it can't be removed without losing it, so unless you've built up a collection via multiple runs of the game, including Snuggly trades, it's too good to take off. Since it takes up a ring slot, this also means giving up most ring combinations in the game. Havel's Ring is more than twice as good when it comes to equip burden, and it's mostly heavy weapon users that benefit from the extra stamina. The extra HP is nice, but since your HP value's relevance is based on thresholds, it might not always be relevant.

It essentially prevents players from diversifying their builds because of its breaking mechanic and perceived strength, so it can be a crutch just as much as the DWGR, the Crass Crest Shield or the family masks can.
    ViralEnsign_
    ViralEnsign_
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by ViralEnsign_ Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:23 am

My Favourite is..... the Hornet Ring simply because Ciaran owned it!

The most underappreciated ring is the ...... Leo Ring because counter damage can sometime equate to the same as riposte or backstab damage and is far more frequently available to you....

My least favourite ring is .... the Slumbering Dragon Crest ring..... because if you are going silent and stealthy.... why the hell would you want your feet to glow blue!
    Glutebrah
    Glutebrah
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Glutebrah Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:28 am

Wolf/RTSR/Lingering Dragon Crest (when i use power with in) are my 3 go to rings
    Alara78
    Alara78
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Alara78 Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:05 am

Well, it depends on the build I guess.

Normally I'd wear RoFaP and DWGR, but I've been playing the PTDe and so using DWGR is no longer viable. So instead of the DWGR usually I switch it up between Wolf, Ring of Steel Protection or Bellowing Dragon Crest ring if I make a mage.
    TehInfamousAmos
    TehInfamousAmos
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by TehInfamousAmos Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:16 am

I would make the East Wood Grain Ring 20x slower durability damage.

eg; on a crystal shortbow +5 I get about 50 shots per durability, that makes the weapon more worthwhile and stops ridiculous amounts of farming for em'.
    mugenis4real
    mugenis4real
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by mugenis4real Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:44 am

Siegfried. wrote:I disagree, but my sanity was in question in the first place.

The issue with the FaP ring has always been that it can't be removed without losing it, so unless you've built up a collection via multiple runs of the game, including Snuggly trades, it's too good to take off. Since it takes up a ring slot, this also means giving up most ring combinations in the game. Havel's Ring is more than twice as good when it comes to equip burden, and it's mostly heavy weapon users that benefit from the extra stamina. The extra HP is nice, but since your HP value's relevance is based on thresholds, it might not always be relevant.

It essentially prevents players from diversifying their builds because of its breaking mechanic and perceived strength, so it can be a crutch just as much as the DWGR, the Crass Crest Shield or the family masks can.

I mean yea I can see your point in that it does hinder creativity but getting a health, stamina, and equip burden boost all with one ring slot is just crazy good. Hey you think maybe they should have nerfed RoFaP as well? Not that I would want that but its true that many players will read what it does and just never take it off.
    Mr. Tart
    Mr. Tart
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by Mr. Tart Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:46 am

My favorites would probably be...RoFaP and RotEE. As for changing any rings...? I'd probably change the Orange charred ring so that it's not removed in NG+. I'd probably make a ring that increases defense and stamina.

Edit: I'll have to think about what i'd change actually..I'll get back to it later.
    Siegfried.
    Siegfried.
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Siegfried. Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:04 am

mugenis4real wrote:I mean yea I can see your point in that it does hinder creativity but getting a health, stamina, and equip burden boost all with one ring slot is just crazy good. Hey you think maybe they should have nerfed RoFaP as well? Not that I would want that but its true that many players will read what it does and just never take it off.

I think they should either nerf it or buff it. In the case of a buff, they should allow it to be taken off without breaking, if only for the sake of diversity. In the case of a nerf, I think it should still not break when it's taken off, but provide +20% stamina and +10% HP with no extra equip burden. The stamina buff is its unique factor anyway, being the only item in the game that can allow you to exceed 160 stamina.

Mind you, I still want the FaP ring to be useful, but I don't want anything in the game to be a no-brainer like the FaP ring often is.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:23 am