Dark souls PvP ep 7 - Washing Pole

MrGrimmmz
    Casual
    Casual

Dark souls PvP ep 7 - Washing Pole

Post by MrGrimmmz on Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:48 pm

Let me know what you guys think! would appreciate some inputs. If anyone wants to post up their own build or techniques feel free to do so. Hope to get in some more matches :]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EeF1dcOGGk&feature=youtu.be&t=16m5s
    roanispe
    Addicted
    Addicted

Re: Dark souls PvP ep 7 - Washing Pole

Post by roanispe on Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:33 pm

You use lock-on too much when you are backstabbing, you aren't spacing yourself well, and you aren't attempting to get some very easy parries. Generally speaking, you are facing new players, so you don't need to really need to use these things. The advantage of the Washing Pole is the range, especially on the roll attack. To gain this, it loses the ability to land a hit off a kick, and requires a sizable stat investment. I'm not sure what exactly to say, other than keep it at. The very important, and small nuances of this weapon will become apparent once you face some better players.

What's the build you are using? It seems awkwardly stated for a SL120 build. For a SL120 in PtD, I could suggest this, which, with maximum casting speed, let you land a Great Combustion off kick under normal lag conditions. As well, since the Washing Pole is no longer doing split damage, you'll see higher actual damage in combat. You can still heal with Great Heal Excerpt, and I am almost positive it is giving you higher defence, while giving you enough poise to deal with those Greatswords that seem to be giving you problems.

Currently #6 in the SL51-100 Duels with a 75 Streak on Kagami_S00mika.
    If you would like a build, please send me a PM. I'll be glad to try to help make something to your specifications, and walk you through how to use it.
    Ever wonder why Pinwheel stole the power of Nito? How to use a Katana. DmC: Devil May Cry footage
    Chen is best 2hu:

If my post was helpful, please click the little '+' next to it. My PSNid: roanispe, Kagami_S00mika
    MrGrimmmz
    Casual
    Casual

Post by MrGrimmmz on Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:51 pm

roanispe wrote:You use lock-on too much when you are backstabbing, you aren't spacing yourself well, and you aren't attempting to get some very easy parries. Generally speaking, you are facing new players, so you don't need to really need to use these things. The advantage of the Washing Pole is the range, especially on the roll attack. To gain this, it loses the ability to land a hit off a kick, and requires a sizable stat investment. I'm not sure what exactly to say, other than keep it at. The very important, and small nuances of this weapon will become apparent once you face some better players.

What's the build you are using? It seems awkwardly stated for a SL120 build. For a SL120 in PtD, I could suggest this, which, with maximum casting speed, let you land a Great Combustion off kick under normal lag conditions. As well, since the Washing Pole is no longer doing split damage, you'll see higher actual damage in combat. You can still heal with Great Heal Excerpt, and I am almost positive it is giving you higher defence, while giving you enough poise to deal with those Greatswords that seem to be giving you problems.
    Well said sir! i will follow some of these tip most definitely, my build consists of mostly putting points in str, vit, and endurance. just enough points for 2 attunement slots. The reason behind this was so that i could have a wide range of heavy weapons as well with heavy armor with decently mobility and stam but i can see alot of of the flaws in it. I suppose i don't parry because of alot of trial error that bites me in the butt, i haven't perfected parrying to the fullest at the moment and sometimes i hesitate to parry against hard hitting players.
    TheSorrowedMan

Post by TheSorrowedMan on Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:59 pm

I enjoyed it. I subscribed.

XBL: TheSorrowedMan
    MrGrimmmz
    Casual
    Casual

Post by MrGrimmmz on Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:37 am

TheSorrowedMan wrote:I enjoyed it. I subscribed.
    appreciate it!
    MrGrimmmz
    Casual
    Casual

Post by MrGrimmmz on Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:42 am

Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports on Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:52 pm

The washing pole specifically has it's running and rolling attacks as outliers in terms of effectiveness. They are long and fast.

against a mid roller I don't think you ever need to ever even be close enough to BS you can actually just space them out with the pole (unless they have one of the very few weapons longer than it)

As you PvP more you will find that there are players who simply will not be backstabed or will backstab you for attempting the backstab technique you were using the in video. Right now It looks as if you are a somewhat decently fast learner. You understand how some things work and can put them to use. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like too many opponents you've faced so far have really pushed you. I think if you can find people around or above your skill level to play with you'd definately improve.
    MrGrimmmz
    Casual
    Casual

Post by MrGrimmmz on Sun Sep 16, 2012 6:43 pm

Jansports wrote:The washing pole specifically has it's running and rolling attacks as outliers in terms of effectiveness. They are long and fast.

against a mid roller I don't think you ever need to ever even be close enough to BS you can actually just space them out with the pole (unless they have one of the very few weapons longer than it)

As you PvP more you will find that there are players who simply will not be backstabed or will backstab you for attempting the backstab technique you were using the in video. Right now It looks as if you are a somewhat decently fast learner. You understand how some things work and can put them to use. Unfortunately it doesn't seem like too many opponents you've faced so far have really pushed you. I think if you can find people around or above your skill level to play with you'd definately improve.

I also feel the same way about the opponent skill level. I know theres some things i really need to improve on and i have been playing against a lot of players that seem to be inexperienced. Sadly thats how the PC version is :/ Once the xbox version comes out i feel that will truely be the time to level up in skill and really go in depth in skill. I totally know what you mean about the backstab technique backfiring, i think it has happened to me before alot. do you recommend toggle lock on to off and attempting to backstab pivot?
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports on Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:18 pm

I only recommend backstabs to punish recovery of slower moves. The Mura's jump attack, the Gscythes running attack, various spears r2s ect. When just playing footsie if you attempt a backstab you give up like 80% of your weapons reach.

But in situations where it's "the best" idea to backstab toggling off lock on is usually a help.
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God on Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:46 pm

Check the comment I left on Youtube, don't need to say it again here.

7:eye-death: http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t22607-children-of-the-grave-now-recruiting#472079 :eye-death:             

PSN accounts: Ghadis_God
                         ringo_mogire_SZS
    MrGrimmmz
    Casual
    Casual

Post by MrGrimmmz on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:09 am

Very interesting, i was thinking of weapons that are similar to the WP's range but with more damage but i cant quite think it through..
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God on Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:16 am

Most spears do, and they can hit you at the end of the back roll. I think the BKGA has similar range but it's much slower, same for the Greatsword weapon class. But there are no "light" swords or kats with the range of the WP. I actually recommend aggression to counter it, it makes no difference whether it hits you with the tip or the hilt so you might as well get in close and pay them back a bit with a fast weapon of your own.

Edit: Actually, I've hit people out of rolls with the SK Sword, but it doesn't have quite the range, so it was probably just lag, or they were rolling in a very specific direction

7:eye-death: http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t22607-children-of-the-grave-now-recruiting#472079 :eye-death:             

ringo_mogire_SZS
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports on Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:32 am

The BSS R2 can catch backwards rolls, I think so can the Uchi's but I know for the BSS you have to be basically on top of them for it to work.
    MrGrimmmz
    Casual
    Casual

Post by MrGrimmmz on Mon Sep 17, 2012 7:47 pm

Interesting, now heres one thing ive been wondering about for a WHILE now. The Leo's ring. I know it buffs up counter damage (attacking when they are about to attack) but does it only apply to thrust weapons? i mean obviously it says it does but i've noticed a slight change in regular damage from weapons such as Zweihander, washing pole, and gravelord sword from its original counter damage output. it seems it buffs up other weapons but by a smaller amount. Has anyone noticed this? And is the Leo's ring Very viable in pvp?
    Jansports
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by Jansports on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:04 pm

The Leo ring isn't just *Viable* it's outright strong in PvP. Oh man BSS R2 with leo ring. I'm in heaven.

When you "counter" be hitting someone during their swing, run or stagger animation you get bonus damage no matter what you're using. You get an Addition 40% when you counter during an Attack with a trusting weapon with the leo ring on.
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God on Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:28 am

A lot of people use the Leo ring, it's pretty popular with spears, rapiers, and the BSS. The Halberd hits like a train with it on, too. However, it only affects physical damage. If you have a Lightning Halberd, the counter will buff the ~300 physical with bonus damage. If I have a +15 Halberd, the 500+ physical AR will receive the benefits of the counter hit and be staggeringly powerful.

ringo_mogire_SZS
    MrGrimmmz
    Casual
    Casual

Post by MrGrimmmz on Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:10 pm

These are incredibly interesting inputs thank you so much everyone! i've learned more about the games mechanics thanks to you, next episode i will be focusing on a sorcery build with a lot of different kinds of tactics so stay tuned!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:01 am