Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+9
WyrmHero
TehInfamousAmos
Siegfried.
T-King-667
Pesth
Knight Alundil
ICEFANG
lonewolf
Errorist
13 posters

WHY no dedicated servers?

Errorist

WHY no dedicated servers? Empty WHY no dedicated servers?

Post by Errorist Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:49 am

seriously,
    WHY is there no dedicated servers for this game, LAG is the biggest
    problem in pvp and it determines a win in EVERY fight. they have known
    this was a massive problem since demons souls... then when they made
    dark souls they did the EXACT same system... then a year later they
    release arena pvp content and STILL no dedicated servers. is this a
    joke? are they really this incompetent or cheap? apparently so.
    pathetic.
    lonewolf
    lonewolf
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

WHY no dedicated servers? Empty Re: WHY no dedicated servers?

Post by lonewolf Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:49 am

Dedicated servers would take away a big chunk of the atmosphere in the game becouse it would remove the risk of being randomly invaded.
    ICEFANG
    ICEFANG
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ICEFANG Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:52 am

I think there is lag, but usually its not to bad, and its free. Its not like FROM is Infinity Ward or whatever. You gonna pay for it?
    Errorist

Post by Errorist Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:03 pm

... im talking about the arenas...

in which one player is hosting and gets lagstabbed over and over due to what looks like 500-1000ms ping. but im guessing neither of you have even tried the pvp arenas, or even do much pvp due to your ignorant statements

and yeah, i do expect that for a game thats 50 dollars that they have dedicated servers, like infinity ward like you said. the playerbase that is doing these arenas is MUCH smaller than the fps community and wouldnt require nearly as many servers, not even close. its just them being cheap
    ICEFANG
    ICEFANG
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ICEFANG Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:22 pm

I PvP a lot, but not in the arena, the difference between you and I is that you will complain about something, while I try to work around it. Lag? Yes, and I work around it. If you want dedicated servers so bad, you give the money to FROM and tell them to do it.
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:30 pm

Errorist wrote:seriously,
    WHY is there no dedicated servers for this game, LAG is the biggest
    problem in pvp and it determines a win in EVERY fight. they have known
    this was a massive problem since demons souls... then when they made
    dark souls they did the EXACT same system... then a year later they
    release arena pvp content and STILL no dedicated servers. is this a
    joke? are they really this incompetent or cheap? apparently so.
    pathetic.

1st off Demon's souls had dedicated servers. So do your research properly before you call company incompetent, cheap and pathetic.

Secondly, it's to keep you lonely. It fit's with the atmosphere and aesthetic of the game.
    Pesth
    Pesth
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Pesth Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:36 pm

WHY no dedicated servers? Do_not_feed_the_trolls_poster-r904201f97d3f40fbac9ba4e6bf7580e8_zpc_400
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:36 pm

Pesth wrote:
    WHY no dedicated servers? Do_not_feed_the_trolls_poster-r904201f97d3f40fbac9ba4e6bf7580e8_zpc_400

Lol i'm not so sure this guy's a troll. I think he might actually be serious big grin
    T-King-667
    T-King-667
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by T-King-667 Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:38 pm

Demons souls had dedicated servers. The main diffrence that i see between the two is that when you want to summon a friend somtimes you have to wait up to 10-20 mins for their sign to appear, other than that from what i see, dark souls was an improvement over demons in terms of lag. And from what i know, the japanese version of the game has dedicated servers, where namco is in charge of the na side im guessing they are the reason for the p2p servers.
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:42 pm

T-King-667 wrote:Demons souls had dedicated servers. The main diffrence that i see between the two is that when you want to summon a friend somtimes you have to wait up to 10-20 mins for their sign to appear, other than that from what i see, dark souls was an improvement over demons in terms of lag. And from what i know, the japanese version of the game has dedicated servers, where namco is in charge of the na side im guessing they are the reason for the p2p servers.

When you say "NA" just say western. It includes everywhere namco had control of happy
    Siegfried.
    Siegfried.
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Siegfried. Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:45 pm

Errorist, I think you severely misunderstand how real-world economy works when it comes to gaming. Not every game studio can afford dedicated servers, and not every publisher is willing to front the money for them. While it was standard procedure some years ago for multiplayer titles to have dedicated servers as a rule of thumb, the shift in emphasis in games from niche goods to mainstream entertainment means that, more than ever, financial profit has become the bottom line.

This means that publishers in particular want to spend as little money on a game as possible for maximum profit, even if it hurts the overall experience. While many PC titles in particular still benefit from dedicated servers, largely thanks to the influence of Valve and their continued support for that option, fewer and fewer console titles are taking that option as publishers know the multiplayer experience won't be held against the "Valve standard". And when it comes to financial matters, it's largely the publishers who have the last word.

The current peer-to-peer system is obviously much less stable than a server-based system, but it costs literally nothing to run because it's based on the connection between specific player machines rather than using a server as an intermediary between them. This is an extremely attractive option for publishers as has been explained.

Don't misunderstand -- money makes the game industry go around these days. To some extent, it always has. But now that video games are so mainstream, profit and competition has become the complete bottom line rather than simply being one necessity of a successful game among others. A dollar saved is a dollar earned, and a dollar earned can be invested in the next game to make two dollars, and so on and on the cycle goes.

I would love it if Dark Souls had dedicated servers as much as anyone else, but this kind of thing isn't just up to FromSoftware and I think it's a grave error to judge the game based on a single feature like this, especially when said game is so exceptional in every other facet. If you want a medieval combat game with dedicated servers, I suggest you keep a look out for War of the Roses. Until then, try to focus on the strong aspects of Dark Souls, because there are absolutely heaps of them and they put many other games to shame.
    TehInfamousAmos
    TehInfamousAmos
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by TehInfamousAmos Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:51 pm

Errorist wrote:... im talking about the arenas...

in which one player is hosting and gets lagstabbed over and over due to what looks like 500-1000ms ping. but im guessing neither of you have even tried the pvp arenas, or even do much pvp due to your ignorant statements

and yeah, i do expect that for a game thats 50 dollars that they have dedicated servers, like infinity ward like you said. the playerbase that is doing these arenas is MUCH smaller than the fps community and wouldnt require nearly as many servers, not even close. its just them being cheap

Ignorance is bliss eh? You Sir are apparently not aware that the majority of the community on this forum are avid pvpers. Yes, everyone experiences lag in pvp - you learn to adapt to it: See someone sprinting at you, move for the counter bs in-case he is attempting one himself. Dedicated servers would make this game too easy, parry timings would be so easy to hit - more players would be running their hornet ring buffed weapons. The game isn't balanced perfectly - but it sure is a lot better than most other games in this genre. One second. $50?? Damn, where are you from? I payed on release date for the collectors edition only 40 pounds...

Truth be told it isn't even a lot of money to be paying for a game... Lets say someone buys a new PS3 and dark souls together - give or take 340-ish pounds, not a bad price - this game has a lot more life than any of the other games of its genre, Demon's Souls was laggy also - it had issues. You must learn to adapt or lose in PvP.

Thank you for reading this, don't post such angry posts as it just makes people liable to negatively look upon you and gives a bad impression. I hope you find a way to counter the lag sir...

Best Regards

Jason

Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:04 pm

TehInfamousAmos wrote:

Ignorance is bliss eh? You Sir are apparently not aware that the majority of the community on this forum are avid pvpers. Yes, everyone experiences lag in pvp - you learn to adapt to it: See someone sprinting at you, move for the counter bs in-case he is attempting one himself. Dedicated servers would make this game too easy, parry timings would be so easy to hit - more players would be running their hornet ring buffed weapons. The game isn't balanced perfectly - but it sure is a lot better than most other games in this genre. One second. $50?? Damn, where are you from? I payed on release date for the collectors edition only 40 pounds...

Truth be told it isn't even a lot of money to be paying for a game... Lets say someone buys a new PS3 and dark souls together - give or take 340-ish pounds, not a bad price - this game has a lot more life than any of the other games of its genre, Demon's Souls was laggy also - it had issues. You must learn to adapt or lose in PvP.

Thank you for reading this, don't post such angry posts as it just makes people liable to negatively look upon you and gives a bad impression. I hope you find a way to counter the lag sir...

Best Regards

Jason

Yes, I totally agree with Jason. Perhaps i'm not as polite as him but I stand by his points winking

There is a massive PvP community on this forum, and I, sir, have been playing DkS since launch. I also went out and purchased a Ps3 so I could experience demons souls and I upgraded my pc when I heard about the PC edition coming. So sorry, but i've forked out an amount of money that dwarfs your measly $50 and I haven't complained about the online since the first xbox patch. So i'll make my other point again:

Do your research before you insult people.

Edit:
    Also, you're lack of knowledge on this subject shows that you have not PvP'd much in Dark souls happy
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:08 pm

I agree with you and because of that I give you +1. If you are planning a game with PvP, you got to think on servers and PATCHES. I mean, 8 months without a single patch, really???? Yes they are incompetent and it's like they don't value this amazing game, it's amazing nonetheless.
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:10 pm

WyrmHero wrote:I agree with you and because of that I give you +1. If you are planning a game with PvP, you got to think on servers and PATCHES. I mean, 8 months without a single patch, really???? Yes they are incompetent and it's like they don't value this amazing game, it's amazing nonetheless.

You've got to remember this is the community that was begging for a pc version, so their attention has been diverted. Could be responsible for the lack of patches recently happy
    TehInfamousAmos
    TehInfamousAmos
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by TehInfamousAmos Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:13 pm

Indeed, I was just about to mention blame the PC petition. That was the likely cause of a lack of patches because they had to create a competent port and new zones.
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:15 pm

TehInfamousAmos wrote:Indeed, I was just about to mention blame the PC petition. That was the likely cause of a lack of patches because they had to create a competent port and new zones.

This is also however assuming we have a problem with the patches. I actually dont... I think they've done quite well silly

Edit: Just to be clear, wasnt disagreeing or whatever, just continuing convrsation big grin
    WyrmHero
    WyrmHero
    Lordvessel
    Lordvessel

Post by WyrmHero Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:21 pm

I'll give them that. :|
    reim0027
    reim0027

Post by reim0027 Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:35 pm

Error, please don't be insulting like that. It isn't necessary; it isn't productive; and it is against our posting rules.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:37 pm

if there were regional servers, i wouldn't get to play with half the lovely people on here.

I'm sure you agree it would be a travesty to lose the pleasure of my company lol!
    OrnsteinBro
    OrnsteinBro
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by OrnsteinBro Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:59 pm

TehInfamousAmos wrote: See someone sprinting at you, move for the counter bs in-case he is attempting one himself.

Lol, there are a lot of people who complain when I counter-bs their aggressive sprinting in the arena. Don't know why either.
    Knight Alundil
    Knight Alundil
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Knight Alundil Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:02 pm

Serious_Much wrote:if there were regional servers, i wouldn't get to play with half the lovely people on here.

I'm sure you agree it would be a travesty to lose the pleasure of my company lol!

This is actually a massive point right here. Being on the british/european server for Demons Souls is absolutely abysmal. sad
    ICEFANG
    ICEFANG
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ICEFANG Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:31 pm

PvP isn't the focus of Dark Souls, and, even though its also my favorite, FROM doesn't owe us a thing when it comes to PvP, no patches, no fixes, no dedicated servers.
    Errorist

Post by Errorist Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:28 am

lol in here at all the retards attempting to defend the lagfest that is dark souls pvp, while claiming that they are pvpers

i pvpd hard in demons souls, and dark souls back on 360, and was ranked 217 in the world (no japan didnt have dedicated servers as someone else stated, as there were NO region restrictions at all, they could invade us and we could invade them) and the majority of higher ranked players were all japanese

but the internet is full of morons like you people, im not looking for some scrubs to agree with me, i was venting that this full price game producer went the route of cheap douchery by not giving us a decent pvp server and thus we have ridiculous lag during pvp that is roughly 500ms or higher. they knew this was a problem, and they decided to ignore it anyway. what role does steam and GFWL play? just to matchmake? and they dont even do that well, summons fail like 90% of the time, with no reason given for the failure.

how pathetic

btw i still one shot everyone in pvp, i play a darkwraith thief with dark silver tracer and hornets ring, JUST because of this stupid lag system, and i one shot everyone with lagstabs. when they figure out that they *** up, and fix it, ill play as something else, but they wont, so you better learn to enjoy getting one shot scrubs.

how sad this is, its a good game, but they just had to be cheap and save a little money at the risk of destroying any competition this game might have acquired.

and keep giving them excuses for having no patches, like DURRR they were too busy porting this to pc, despite that porting something from xbox to pc is incredibly simple, as an xbox is just a small computer. they didnt even change the buttons, or resolutions (they didnt even know how, they admitted this) and it had to be done (in 27 mins from launch) by a player.

lulz in here

ok you can now go back to raging like scrubs because someone called it like it is happy
    Forum Pirate
    Forum Pirate
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by Forum Pirate Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:41 am

Oh dear god I wish I had high speed. Someone please duel this guy and record it. If he's so good then let him prove it.

Anyways, the bottom line is money. Servers cost it, someone has to pay for it.

I respect valve (dispite not actually liking their games) specifically because they put in the extra effort, but one cannot expect a company to lose money because it would make one happy.

If you hate it so much, don't buy the next one and send an email to from explaining why you didn't. Encourage others who agree with you to do the same. If you really want a change you must make it more benificial to enact the change than to ignore you.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:12 pm