Can't upgrade Gargoyle Halberd?

Tegu
    Casual
    Casual

Can't upgrade Gargoyle Halberd?

Post by Tegu on Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:01 pm

I have a gargoyle halberd +5 but I can't modify it. It doesn't show up on any of the menus. What do I do?
    Bcc17
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Re: Can't upgrade Gargoyle Halberd?

Post by Bcc17 on Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:04 pm

Any weapons you upgrade with Twinkling titanite cannot be ascended.

Tegu
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Tegu on Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:07 pm

Bcc17 wrote:Any weapons you upgrade with Twinkling titanite cannot be ascended.

I don't think you use TT to upgrade it.
    https://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Gargoyle%27s+Halberd
    Bcc17
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Bcc17 on Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:12 pm

Oh, its because you need it to be +10, not +5! Silly me for not noticing that earlier lol. The large ember is found in The Depths in a chest next to the first butcher.

Tegu
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Tegu on Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:14 pm

Bcc17 wrote:Oh, its because you need it to be +10, not +5! Silly me for not noticing that earlier lol. The large ember is found in The Depths in a chest next to the first butcher.

It doesn't show up on the modify thing to upgrade from +5 to +6
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? on Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:17 pm

Ascend your Halberd. Don't modify it.

Bcc17
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Bcc17 on Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:18 pm

You're at Andre yeh?

EDIT: Damnit Pendant!

Tegu
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Tegu on Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:20 pm

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:Ascend your Halberd. Don't modify it.
    What is the difference between ascend and modify?

Also, what should I use? Gargoyle Halberd, Claymore, or MSGS

And can you tell me which upgrades you would use on each?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? on Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:23 pm

Can I have your stats please?

Tegu
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Tegu on Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:26 pm

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:Can I have your stats please?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? on Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:28 pm

With those stats I would stick with the Claymore and upgrade Normal to +15.

Tegu
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Tegu on Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:30 pm

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:With those stats I would stick with the Claymore and upgrade Normal to +15.
    Why not serpent GS?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? on Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:33 pm

It has A-scaling to Strength but gives you nothing to DEX. You have a lot of DEX, the Claymore makes use of both your Strength and your DEX and it boasts a C parameter bonus to both statistics.

Tegu
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Tegu on Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:37 pm

WhatDoesThePendantDo? wrote:It has A-scaling to Strength but gives you nothing to DEX. You have a lot of DEX, the Claymore makes use of both your Strength and your DEX and it boasts a C parameter bonus to both statistics.
    Thank you very much.
    Do you have any comments about lightning garg halberd or ricard's rapier (idk how to upgrade it)
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? on Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:42 pm

The Lightning G. Halberd might be a good idea. People love elemental G. Hals, though most go Chaos I don't see why you can't go Lightning.

To make weapons Lightning you must reach Anor Londo and speak with the Giant Blacksmith there, he'll hook you up.

I wouldn't make the Ricard's Rapier Lightning as it is a weapon that shines with weapon buffs. I would keep it Normal and test it out first, though I really wouldn't recommend it for you.

Buggy Virus
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Buggy Virus on Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:54 pm

To get past +5 you must have gotten the large ember from the chest behind the first butcher in the depths.

Then you must talk to Andrei until he asks if he can have the ember. Then when you have a +5 weapon in your inventory you should be able to select modify equipment and use the D-pad to decide between motifications and upgrade to +6.

From there you reinforce normally to +10.

Positive votes received : 80
    Negative votes received : 74

Tegu
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Tegu on Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:23 am

Is there any way I can get a buddy to come with me to NLR to get the Very Large Ember?
    WhatDoesThePendantDo?
    Duke's Archivist
    Duke's Archivist

Post by WhatDoesThePendantDo? on Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:25 am

Drain the water.

ICEFANG
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by ICEFANG on Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:28 am

There's two types of weapon upgrades, there's reinforcement and ascension. Reinforcement is simple, it strengthens a weapon and nothing more. A simple task for any blacksmith, hell you can even do it yourself with a smithbox, but ascension's a finer art, it modifies a weapons properties. Ascension is the territory of blacksmiths, a smithbox just won't do the trick. First do reinforcement, when that loses it's charm, you can try ascension.

Anyway, here are some more details:

You can upgrade weapons that require Demon titanite to +5, which requires 10 total titanites (1/1/2/2/4). It costs 5000 souls an upgrade (I think, or 2000). Demon titanite upgrades weapons born from the souls of bosses. This resource is hard to collect, and other than one titanite Demon that respawns, its not renewable. Most demon weapons aren't very good, but usually using one in a build can be considered good because it's helpful to your other weapons, which probably need titanite Slabs, as will most armors.

Twinkling titanite is a unique upgrade form, which requires 10 total titanites to get to a max of +5 (1/1/2/2/4). It costs 2000 souls to do an upgrade (or 5000, I may be getting them mixed up, but I think I'm correct). Some weapons just upgrade this way. Weapons that are unique (and aren't boss weapons) are usually upgraded this way so there can't be some weird combination. For example, all weapons that start with scaling in Faith or Intelligence are Twinkling titanite, otherwise you could create a Divine (Weapon with INT scaling) and have 2 scalings. It wouldn't be effective, but its avoided just because that's how it was made. Weapons with Divine/Occult/INT/FAI scaling (when you first pick them up), are usually here. Weapons that are considered good, gain a little more favor being in this group, as its easier to get a weapon to +5 Twinkly than +15 standard. They are farmable from clams, and purchasable from the Giant Blacksmith and the Crestfallen Merchant. You can receive anywhere from 20-40, depending on how many Crystal Lizards you kill.

Dragon Scales are used to upgrade your dragon weapons, it takes 10 to get to +5 (max, 1/1/2/2/4) and costs 10000 an upgrade. No dragon weapons are considered good, EXCEPT the Moonlight Greatsword, so most players don't even think of this upgrade path (if you are a fan of some other ones, more power to you, but most of them suck). The Dragon Greatsword and the Dragon King Greatax are ok too. There is a new one in the DLC, but I won't bother telling you about it, it looks to perhaps be the best of all of them though. You also use these to upgrade yourself into a dragon via the path of the dragon covenant. There is 10 per playthough and they can be farmed hazardly from the drakes.

All armor can be upgraded to +10, which requires no ascension, just reinforcement. 1/2/3 small, 1/2/3 large, 1/2/3 chunks, and 1 slab to +10. I believe the amounts are correct, but as I usually play naked dragon, I'm honestly not 100% on it.

For all other weapons, you have to first ascend it to +5, every blacksmith (and you with a smithbox can do this), as well as +6-+10, +11-+15, but you can't get it to +6 or +11 without a blacksmith. Different smiths ascend differently.

Andre can upgrade weapons to:

Raw, which is honestly 100% completely worthless, DO NOT ever use this path of upgrading EVER.

Normal (+15 as many call it), which is the most common upgrade path for most player's weapons. It requires +6 first (the Large Ember) then can be brought to +11 (Very Large Ember). Upgrading a weapon this way increases its base power and its scaling. This requires 9 shards, 9 large, 9 chunks, and one slab.

Divine (to +10), which adds Faith scaling, and magic damage, but reduces its STR and DEX scaling to very low. It also adds Divine to the weapon, which I don't think does anything except keeps skeletons dead in catacombs. Yeah some extra damage to somethings, yadda yadda yadda. No one is sure how it works on other players, or if it does. Divine weapons need the Divine Ember (to +1 Divine, from +5 normal) and then the Large Divine Ember (+6 Divine, from +5 Divine) up to +10. This requires 9 shards, 10 green shards, 9 white chunks, and 1 white slab.

Occult, which works similar to the Large Divine Ember. After upgrading it to +5 Divine, instead of +6 via the Large Divine, you can make it Occult instead. This adds some Unholy damage thing, just like Divine, it does little against enemies, and unknown on players. It is unique in that it lowers STR and DEX scaling more than Divine +6 does, but has more FAI scaling. The overall AR is about the same, and the extra effects don't really seem to do anything to players, so this is pretty well just preference. This requires 9 shards, 10 green shards, 8 white chunks, and 1 white slab.

The Giant Blacksmith can upgrade to:

A +10 weapon into a Demon weapon, which requires its soul and, I think, 10000 souls. After than you can reinforce it like normal at any blacksmith or smithbox.

A +10 weapon into a Lightning weapon (I'll go over this after Chaos and Fire, which is under the next blacksmith). This uses chunks to upgrade to a total of +5, 9 chunks and 1 slab.

A +10 weapon into a Crystal weapon, which increases its base power over +15, but reduces its durability to 20, and it can't be fixed. I think its worthless, but for a little extra edge, it can be helpful for weapons you can purchase over and over. You require the Crystal Ember to do this one. This also uses chunks, 9, and one slab, to get to +5.

Blacksmith Vamos (SP?) can upgrade:

A +5 weapon into a Fire weapon, after you get the Large Fire Ember, he can upgrade it to a total of +10. Which requires 9 shards, 11 green shards, 9 red chunks, and one red slab.

A +5 FIRE weapon into a Chaos weapon, instead of upgrading it to +10 Fire you can do +5 Chaos. This requires 9 shards, 11 green shards, 8 red chunks, one red slab.

** On Chaos/Fire/Lightning weapons:
    These weapons lose all scaling and have high power. so they don't depend on the power of the wielder, but since they do two types of damage (fire and normal, or lightning and normal) they must get through 2 types of defense, and after NG+ and level 100 in PvP, they will be less effective than many +15 weapons. Fire and Lightning have the same/very close to the same power, just depends on the enemy which one is better (it is easier to use a red slab to make a Chaos weapon or Fire weapon than a normal slab on a Lightning one), but Chaos has less power. However, it scales with your humanity up to 10. At 8 or 9, its about the same, but at 10, its more. If you can hold on to 10, then Chaos is much better than Fire.

Rickert can upgrade:

A +5 weapon into a Magic weapon, which, like Divine, lowers its scaling on DEX and STR to very low, but increases its INT scaling. Unlike Divine, it doesn't add that mostly worthless Divine modifier to it (whatever really). You can further upgrade it to +10 Magic after you get the Large Magic Ember. You need a total of 9 shards, 10 green shards, 9 blue chunks, and one blue slab.

Instead of +6 Magic, after you find the Enchanted Ember, you can upgrade it to Enchanted (to a max of +5). This is like Occult in that it increases INT scaling more, but decreases DEX/STR scaling too. This needs 9 shards, 10 green shards, 8 blue chunks, and one blue slab.

Generally weapons that use a color are considered easier to upgrade, because the normal ones are needed for armor and shields (as most shields lose more than they gain going any other path than +15).

Any other advice I can help. I noticed no one answered your, "what is reinforcement and ascension question" happy

See my youtube channel, with Dark Souls Prepare to Die (spoilers):
    www.youtube.com/user/RavenWolfStarcraft2
    See my livestream to watch me do it live (spoilers):
    http://www.twitch.tv/ravenwolfstarcraft2
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT on Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:21 am

With your stats which should end in 40 in birth str and dex you u should go with +15 on everything since it will hit harder against an invader and enemies too but if I were you I'd make a chaos gargoyles halberd since that thing is so good for pve, I had a chaos one for my very first run of the game.

I am the sword in the darkness, I am the watcher on the walls, I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realm of men.
    I pledge my life and honor to the knight's watch for this night and all the nights to come.

Tegu
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Tegu on Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:38 am

RantFromRant wrote:With your stats which should end in 40 in birth str and dex you u should go with +15 on everything since it will hit harder against an invader and enemies too but if I were you I'd make a chaos gargoyles halberd since that thing is so good for pve, I had a chaos one for my very first run of the game.
    I'm not very good at this game, so I don't trust myself running around with 10 humanity.
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT on Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:41 am

Go with fire then, most enemies are really weak to fire, specially in the archives.

I am the sword in the darkness, I am the watcher on the walls, I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realm of men.
    I pledge my life and honor to the knight's watch for this night and all the nights to come.

Tegu
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Tegu on Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:45 am

I used to have an SL 70 with +5 BKH until I realized that I killed the blacksmith in Parish on accident and I killed the Goddess Illusion on accident, so I have no place to farm now.
    AzureCrow
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by AzureCrow on Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:33 am

First off damn ICEFANG that was a great breakdown Prostration

But back on topic assuming you've started a second Character without deleting the first you should still be able to get through ng on your slvl 70 if you focus on fire reinforcement from Vamos the blacksmith and use any unique weapons you find along the way. Fire and chaos are effective on nearly all pve except demons and those happen to be vulnerable to Black Knight weapons.

As far as obtaining humanity it gets alot easier in the later half of the game which is about when you'd get the chaos ember. My favorite for small amounts like 10 is farming the 3 rats under the sunlight alter, once you get the lordvessel if your not near a warp point you can warp there DONT REST kill the rats and use homeward bone or miracle to return to the bonfire where ever you originally where. Although its fastest if you have Gold serpent ring and 10 seed humanity, use the sunlight bonfire and just trek back to wherever you where, but you really should farm for stacks of at least 30 to avoid constantly farming.

Tegu
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Tegu on Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:38 pm

AzureCrow wrote:First off damn ICEFANG that was a great breakdown

But back on topic assuming you've started a second Character without deleting the first you should still be able to get through ng on your slvl 70 if you focus on fire reinforcement from Vamos the blacksmith and use any unique weapons you find along the way. Fire and chaos are effective on nearly all pve except demons and those happen to be vulnerable to Black Knight weapons.

As far as obtaining humanity it gets alot easier in the later half of the game which is about when you'd get the chaos ember. My favorite for small amounts like 10 is farming the 3 rats under the sunlight alter, once you get the lordvessel if your not near a warp point you can warp there DONT REST kill the rats and use homeward bone or miracle to return to the bonfire where ever you originally where. Although its fastest if you have Gold serpent ring and 10 seed humanity, use the sunlight bonfire and just trek back to wherever you where, but you really should farm for stacks of at least 30 to avoid constantly farming.

I got to tomb of giants, and the darkness was just wayy too much for me. Also, I don't know how to get to Vamos. I have cast light, but no int to wield it. I also have no place to farm souls, since I killed the boob girl and I can't get the two humans to respawn.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:00 pm