Pvp Lag help

IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Re: Pvp Lag help

Post by IV_Mark_VI on Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:44 pm

http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t11135-guide-to-improving-connection-speed-lag-wip

Ok, placeholder created.

Yes, you can google most networking issues, but would be nice for a dark souls specific one.

LordRevan
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by LordRevan on Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:50 pm

IV_Mark_VI wrote:http://soulswiki.forumsrpg.com/t11135-guide-to-improving-connection-speed-lag-wip

Ok, placeholder created.

Yes, you can google most networking issues, but would be nice for a dark souls specific one.

Oh I was going to create one for Dark Souls PC fixes in general, and include fixes for Lag in it.
    But I guess I'll just create that separately and Link this one for Lag problems then.

Tristan
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Tristan on Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:54 pm

I think a page that explains how pvp and lag is relevant to the game is a good idea, but to detail the steps to fix networking issues seems a bit too much. What if someone does it wrong and then comes back here and complains to the admins that the information was misleading. Not to mention with all of the different models and software out there it would be very difficult to make an accurate compendium.

Faith Enthusiast
    LordRevan
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by LordRevan on Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:59 pm

Tristan wrote:I think a page that explains how pvp and lag is relevant to the game is a good idea, but to detail the steps to fix networking issues seems a bit too much. What if someone does it wrong and then comes back here and complains to the admins that the information was misleading. Not to mention with all of the different models and software out there it would be very difficult to make an accurate compendium.

No it's not too much.
    Firstly I'm sure there is a bunch of wrong information on these forums, no it's not good. But who would come back and complain it's misleading.
    Secondly the point of it is that it's a guide fixing it so it has to include fixes. There are multiple people doing it so there are more opinions to limit the mistakes.

lastly It's not hard to generalise it to most models and software. No you can't say, click Button a, then button b, then button c. But you can say go to your Router settings. Then enable UPnP.
    You tell people how to static IP their consoles etc.

There is a lot of fixes you can do, and the entire point of it is to help people fix things. Not tell you "Lag is bad". If anybody has a problem or something is misleading, then they simply post in the thread and recieve help from us. It's not hard.

DarkW17
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DarkW17 on Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:02 pm

You cant FIX someone bringing Lag into your world that's the problem and reality of a P2P connection it sucks and can't be fixed!

As for your own internet connection the biggest thing 1st off is to have a wired connection... The 2nd is having a NAT2 type connection...a NAT3 will cause nothing but prolems failed summons failed invasions ect...this will not cause lag tho lag is caused by the distance between to people more than the speed of there connection...or distance plays a bigger part than the speed unless you have stupidly slow internet connection which most people don't..no speed of internet can fix this unless you have 1000 MB/s internet lol!

Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Tristan on Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:06 pm

If anybody has a problem or something is misleading, then they simply post in the thread and recieve help from us. It's not hard

I don't mean to upset you but this just makes the page redundant and moot. If they had to join the forums to get the correct information that they should've gotten from the page that it's sole purpose was to provide accurate information on the issue it becomes useless to have the page. The time spent on studying the page could've been spent asking a question on the forums and recieving the right information first.

I can't tell you how many times I've mentioned something that was on the wiki that ended up becoming completely wrong.

Faith Enthusiast

IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI on Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:09 pm

If he's saying it happens often, so likely it's his own connection that's the problem. 90% of my fights don't have much lag, so when there is, I know it's not my connection.

Tolvo has (is having?) network issues so this should help him as well.

There is more to it than what you've posted Dark; those two things are helpful, but what if someone is torrenting on another computer? What if your speed is 10MB/s down, but in reality it's only 2 or 3 because the ISp messed up? What if it's a controller that's old or faulty (this happened to me before, they weren't aware it was faulting out until I wouldn't stop complaining; unsure what the name is, a piece of hardware between me and the ISP that handles a particular area of the city).

I don't envision the thread being a guide to every router out there, but what to do.

Example: forward ports X, Y, Z to your router.

If they know the question, they can google it or look it up in their documentation. That's how I would do it.

Honestly, this has probably been done already in a number of places, so if we just provide a link to solving network issues on the PS3 and 360, that will help most people I think.

LordRevan
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by LordRevan on Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:10 pm

Tristan wrote:
    If anybody has a problem or something is misleading, then they simply post in the thread and recieve help from us. It's not hard

I don't mean to upset you but this just makes the page redundant and moot. If they had to join the forums to get the correct information that they should've gotten from the page that it's sole purpose was to provide accurate information on the issue it becomes useless to have the page. The time spent on studying the page could've been spent asking a question on the forums and recieving the right information first.

I can't tell you how many times I've mentioned something that was on the wiki that ended up becoming completely wrong.

I can see your point but no.
    Because if the fix they need that is not there and we need to help out then after it has been fixed we'll add it into the OP so that the next person doesn't need help. Since we have multiple people reading it any misleading sections should be quickly spotted and changed.
    Also the idea is to provide a fairly comprehensive guide, therefore not many people will need to ask at all, and it's for for forum members too it's not like only guests will be looking at it.

Also "receiving right information first" by asking a question on the very same forums does not guaranty accurate information. Moreso it is likely to be worse as it could be information by anyone, and is not checked by many people unless the thread gets rather active.
    Lastly you will not always be able to get an answer straight away by simply asking a question.
    So no, the thread is still a good idea.

DarkW17
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DarkW17 on Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:47 pm

I get what your saying Mark and I agree with you 100%!

I would just assume anyone playing an online game that requires a stupid amount of bandwidth would be smart enough to not be uploading to youtube or using a torrent program ect...however if they were doing that or there was ISP issues that day of course that will cause lag!

I'm just saying for example I have great internet and so does Wyrm...buts I'm in Canada and he's in the Carribean(lucky guy)...we have some lag everytime we fight because being P2P its got a long was to go!!!!

Another example is speed can also make a difference....Billy is in England and he was insane fibre optic internet....we can duel with O lag from a further distance!

But these are all examples of what affects the P2P environment...you guys are trying to help people fix there own connection...all your info is correct and helpful and I also think your idea makes sense...just saying you'll never elimate lag attacks from a player a great distance(with a few exceptions) away even with your own connection being 100%

Post by Gus The Giraffe on Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:58 am

Thanks for all the replies. " I am such is due to lag" was to say " i know is due to lag". I was in a hurry when i typed it. i was unable to proof read it. Any how, looks like i am pretty much screwed.. we run 2 maybe 3 Comps all the time. People browsing reddit, Playing Mine craft. and another PS3 running Dark souls

again thank you for all the help.

IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI on Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:10 pm

Two PS3s running Dark Souls? Is port forwarding supported for multiple PS3s?

You're not screwed. Check out your pipe, and see what the problem is. Is it port forwarding? Is it insufficient pipe size? Try to fix it.

Gus The Giraffe

Post by Gus The Giraffe on Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:19 pm

..... gosh. i fell so dumb. i knew i should have taken computer science instead of art.....sad
    but when start the game or go into loading screens they are quick... oh, and i am running in fios.

IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI on Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:36 pm

Ok so with a bit of looking, one potential solution is to put one PS3 on the DMZ and one Port Forward all the necessary ports to it.

DamageCK
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by DamageCK on Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:11 pm

LordRevan wrote:

Hahahah. Love it when you do that, man.

Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by LordRevan on Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:20 pm

DamageCK wrote:
    LordRevan wrote:

Hahahah. Love it when you do that, man.

Thanks 8)

IV_Mark_VI wrote:Two PS3s running Dark Souls? Is port forwarding supported for multiple PS3s?

You're not screwed. Check out your pipe, and see what the problem is. Is it port forwarding? Is it insufficient pipe size? Try to fix it.

Yeah port forwarding is supported for multiple PS3's, all you are doing is telling which port the packet needs to go to. You can run it for as many as different connected devices as you want.
    However it won't speed up his net, it will only solve connection issues.

In my place their is usually 2 Xboxs, a PC, and a Laptop. My net still runs fine(Unless lots of downloads of course).
    It'll just matter on your max upload/download speed for how many of your things can run at once with it getting slow.

Last edited by LordRevan on Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Better tone lol)

IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI on Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:23 pm

My understanding of port forwarding is like this:

You ahve a port, say 444, and that is used by the PSN. You forward that port to playstation 1. How do you then also forward it to playstation 2? Wouldn't it get confused? Or do you forward it to both, and if it's meant for PS2, the PS1 will ignore it?

LordRevan
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by LordRevan on Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:35 pm

IV_Mark_VI wrote:My understanding of port forwarding is like this:

You ahve a port, say 444, and that is used by the PSN. You forward that port to playstation 1. How do you then also forward it to playstation 2? Wouldn't it get confused? Or do you forward it to both, and if it's meant for PS2, the PS1 will ignore it?

Pretty sure you can just forward it to both and the correct one will use it. Although you can just DMZ on one and port forward another as you said, but DMZ is basically just forward everything to that device. So in principle they are the same, just less wasted traffic if you port forward both.

Once again though. Still it's not going to help his connection speed so it doesn't matter.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:33 am