Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+6
dancash1808
SunlightCrusader
bloodpixel
xMalevolence
Noob-of-Artorias
Seignar
10 posters

Underused weapon: Ricard's Rapier

Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Underused weapon: Ricard's Rapier Empty Underused weapon: Ricard's Rapier

Post by Seignar Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:18 am

Ricard's Rapier
    Perhaps it is me or perhaps many do not know about Ricard's Rapier's potential.

RR's strong attacks deal 6 hits, all which there own separate damage. Buffs add static damage to weapon allowing you to "multiply" your damage by 6 times. With poison resins, this can build 150 poison. With Darkmoon blade, this can deal around 2400 magic damage. With Charcoal or Gold resins you add 600 and 900 damage respectively.

Yet with such great killing potential, I have yet to see it used even by people who use Darkmoon blade. I mean, while 6 hits is kind of hard to pull off, the initial strong attack (2 hits) is fast and not very costy.

And yes, this is general discussion because RR is lethal in PvE as well.
    Noob-of-Artorias
    Noob-of-Artorias
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Underused weapon: Ricard's Rapier Empty Re: Underused weapon: Ricard's Rapier

Post by Noob-of-Artorias Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:26 am

I've been using a Ricards Rapier with CMW as my primary weapon on my battle mage for about 1 month now.

I knew it's true potential when I was getting forest ganked and I 1 shotted the host with 1 complete salvo of the R2

An excellent weapon that often get's over looked by the standard rapier because of it's meager 10% crit bonus.

xMalevolence
    xMalevolence
    Casual
    Casual

Post by xMalevolence Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:39 am

Hmmm, I've thought about using it but I could never justify wasting a slab on it if I could use something better.

So I might as well ask now, RR or Velka's Rapier? If it helps to know, I'm a Dex/Int Build.
    Noob-of-Artorias
    Noob-of-Artorias
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Noob-of-Artorias Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:03 am

xMalevolence wrote:Hmmm, I've thought about using it but I could never justify wasting a slab on it if I could use something better.

So I might as well ask now, RR or Velka's Rapier? If it helps to know, I'm a Dex/Int Build.
    If you plan on using buffs, then RR all the way, if not Velkas. Velka's is great if you'd rather save your att slots for soul spear, but if you have the room for Buffs, the RR will tear it apart in damage output.

Plus RR is just so much more stylish, it's the weapon of a true pimp, plain and simple.
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:04 am

Velka's Rapier is, in general, superior. But a buffed Ricard's Rapier is more lethal than a Hornet Ring backstab. One little mistake and your HP will hit 0 in less than 2 seconds. Don't even think about blocking the magic buffs either, magic has very good penetrating qualities against shields and for the most part at least 50% of the damage will go through. Minimum chip damage could be around 300.
    Noob-of-Artorias
    Noob-of-Artorias
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Noob-of-Artorias Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:20 am

Seignar wrote:Velka's Rapier is, in general, superior. But a buffed Ricard's Rapier is more lethal than a Hornet Ring backstab. One little mistake and your HP will hit 0 in less than 2 seconds. Don't even think about blocking the magic buffs either, magic has very good penetrating qualities against shields and for the most part at least 50% of the damage will go through. Minimum chip damage could be around 300.
    Brings a tear to my eyes how many times I've brought down a turtle simply because he wasn't watching his health bar when I was poking away at him until it was too late twisted
    bloodpixel
    bloodpixel
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by bloodpixel Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:27 am

Underused? It's been my no.1 weapon ever since I got it.
    xMalevolence
    xMalevolence
    Casual
    Casual

Post by xMalevolence Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:20 am

Woop, thanks for the advice guys. Although now I have a +5 Velka's and +15 RR...which to try out 1st.
    SunlightCrusader
    SunlightCrusader
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by SunlightCrusader Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:01 am

I use Ricard's on my DM. DMB + RR= twisted

Don't be an *** and use the hornet ring though. That is unecessary overkill and will earn you hate. Just buff and RR is effective enough. Adding Hornet Ring really just takes the fun out of the fight. Now if they play dirty themselves then by all means teach them a lesson but going in like that to start with is unnecessarily mean in my opinion.
    dancash1808
    dancash1808
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Post by dancash1808 Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:04 am

Heres the thing. if you do know whats happening you can just roll out of the first hit and not take the rest of the damage (and thereby sometimes do more damage in response). its good but very very flawed in my opinon and not even close to underused silly
    FruitPunchNinja
    FruitPunchNinja
    Revived
    Revived

Post by FruitPunchNinja Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:06 pm

Its not used as much as say the normal rapier, but lots of people use it with dex/faith or dex/int and buff it.
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:18 pm

Don't confuse AR with damage. 1 AR does not equal 1 damage, and the numbers you mentioned were AR. Especially when you're dealing with small ARs, because most of it will be blocked by defense. The 150 extra AR you get from gold resin, for example, will turn out to do an extra 50 damage at most, and potentially a lot less depending on your enemy. So 6 hits with gold pine resin does not equal 900 damage--probably more around 200-300. And since Ricard's has a low AR to begin with, and multi-hit attacks deal less damage per hit, you definitely can't simply multiply your AR by 6 and expect to be doing that much damage.

That being said, Ricard's can pack a huge punch with Darkmoon Blade. Just don't expect it to be doing 2400 damage routinely.

Also, multi-hit attacks leave you very vulnerable, both to parrying and to getting backstabbed.

Ricard's can be an excellent and very fun weapon, especially for PvE, just don't get your hopes too high.
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:24 pm

1AR DOES equal 1 damage because 1 damage is the minimum possible. But, regardless of the fact defense lowers all this damage this is what the AR damage is suppose to be. 600 and 900 AR bonuses added. You, of course, have to factor in all the times the armor will decrease the damage, but all in all, the damage is extremely high.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:01 pm

The trick to landing the r2 is to parry the opponent, but instead of riposting, launch the r2; it will do much more damage than a riposte, especially buffed. If you have Leo's, the damage will improve because every one of those hits will be a counter.
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:04 pm

People always say you deal counter damage, but isn't it just bonus damage for hitting an opponent that is wide-open? The bonus damage is high, but it isn't boosted by Leo Ring.

Also, I'm sure you can stagger them out if they have low poise. On top of that, you could get at most 3 hits of before they dodge spam out.
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:17 pm

"Counter hits" are an actual thing in this game, and you do more damage while the enemy is attacking, dashing, blocking, rolling, jumping, staggered after guardbreak, attempting a parry, using estus or any other item, and I think drawing a bow, when you attack them. The Leo boosts this damage if the attack type is "thrust".It won't boost the buff damage, but it will boost the physical counter damage.
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:45 pm

Never said counter damage did not exist. It is just a different multiplier for hitting an opponent that is wide open because they are caught in an animation that isn't an attack animation. I tested this with the BSS and its strong attack didn't deal anymore damage with the Leo Ring than it did without. A hit on parried animation is not counter damage. There is, however, a significant damage increase during these bonus damage.

Counter damage only applys when it is a counter which is defined as: "To meet or return (a blow) by another blow." Rolling is in no way an attack and so cannot be countered. You can "counter" a roll by delaying your move so you hit them when their frames end, but it isn't the counter the Leo Ring speaks of.

I believe ENB even mentioned this when he said that Leo Ring won't even apply on a deflected animation. Only if you hit them during their attack animations.
    Dubscythe
    Dubscythe
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by Dubscythe Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:57 pm

Well if it makes you guys feel awesome, I actually am making a build because of this topic.

http://tinyurl.com/9mwlnht
    Seignar
    Seignar
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Seignar Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:42 pm

Only 309 Lightning damage? NO! Nononononononono...
    474 shield-crushing magic is where it's at! Ignore the Sunlight and join the Darkmoon!
    Enjoy you 800+ AR
    BLA1NE
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

Post by BLA1NE Sun Sep 02, 2012 9:52 pm

I see your 474 Magic AR, and I will raise you 410 Magic Defense!

http://tinyurl.com/8r3zcj2

Magic damage? Please!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:55 pm