Need some build advice

Ioskeha

Need some build advice

Post by Ioskeha on Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:27 pm

This is my first character playing this game. I've restarted four times though to make a few changes as I figured things out. This is what I got so far

Right now I'm just setting at Quelaag helping people kill her trying to figure what I want to do next.

Tried the Great Hollows, but my melee damage is starting to get weak. The large mushrooms take forever to melee. So I think it's time to start thinking about a new weapon, maybe. LOL Not sure. That's why I'm here.

This is a pure PvE build. I'm just learning the game so I don't want to PvP just yet. So I'm not holding myself to the SL120 level limit.
    Pesth
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Re: Need some build advice

Post by Pesth on Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:39 pm

Your rings are both bad choices for PvE in general, if you're going to stick with 13/15 stg dex you should go elemental (doesnt scale with SL), you should lvl more your vit (at least 20) and consider using the Ring of favor and protection (most awesome ring for PvE).

Hope that helps

Dragon Slayer Ornstein
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Dragon Slayer Ornstein on Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:51 pm

Ioskeha wrote:This is my first character playing this game. I've restarted four times though to make a few changes as I figured things out. This is what I got so far

Right now I'm just setting at Quelaag helping people kill her trying to figure what I want to do next.

Tried the Great Hollows, but my melee damage is starting to get weak. The large mushrooms take forever to melee. So I think it's time to start thinking about a new weapon, maybe. LOL Not sure. That's why I'm here.

This is a pure PvE build. I'm just learning the game so I don't want to PvP just yet. So I'm not holding myself to the SL120 level limit.

Yeah, no offence but your current ring selection is really bad.

For this Faith build you have, I'd recommend the Ring of the Sun's Firstborn, to boost your Miracle Damage, you can use the Crown of Dusk to stack the effect as well, that Crown also gives a boost to magic attacks and miracles.

Another good ring selection is the Ring of Favor and Protection of course, it gives more Vitality and Stamina, and if you're adamant about keeping vitality low then you might want to look into it, however, I would recommend putting more points into Vitality later on.

The only catch with the Ring of Favor and Protection is that if you remove it, it breaks and you lose it completely, so keep that in mind when making the decision, there's alot of useful rings in the game, but the two you have equipped really aren't very beneficial at all.

As for Stats, I'd say go for a Faith/Dex build, I have my own and it is brilliant, here's a video of mine actually, it'll give you an idea of the kind of stats you'll need...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIv5anZc168

Good weapons for Dexterity based builds include the one you saw in that video, the Uchigatana, as well as Ricard's Rapier and the Balder Side Sword and some more, the ones I just mentioned are all fantastic.

Go for the +15 upgrade path and an added buff (like Sunlight Blade) to squeeze out the most damage, you'll be a beast.

There's alot to learn in this game, but if you need more tips, help and advice, we're all here to help, and remember that you have the Dark Souls Wiki for further information.

Good luck and have fun!

"Ahh, dragon slaying. Knighthood's highest calling..." - Hawkeye Gough

Ioskeha

Post by Ioskeha on Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:55 pm

Thanks.

Right now I'm going with what I need. I was exploring the swamps, wanted a high poison resist, went with this gear. The Great Hollow I used different equips. Stuff that has a higher physical def and curse resist. Overall I'm finding armor to not be that important in the physical defense (it's better to dodge then it is to get hit). Resistance is more important I'm finding.

I mostly posted because I'm not sure what would benefit me more. Going 50 faith or start raising str/dex to 50 and use a better weapon (not even sure which one to use). My plan is to get end/vit to 40 each with 3-4 spell slots. Just not sure what I want to do about damage.

Edit: I'm new to the game and really trying to figure out stuff myself. I don't have those rings yet. I just finished Blighttown.
    Dragon Slayer Ornstein
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Dragon Slayer Ornstein on Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:09 pm

Ioskeha wrote:Thanks.

Right now I'm going with what I need. I was exploring the swamps, wanted a high poison resist, went with this gear. The Great Hollow I used different equips. Stuff that has a higher physical def and curse resist. Overall I'm finding armor to not be that important in the physical defense (it's better to dodge then it is to get hit). Resistance is more important I'm finding.

I mostly posted because I'm not sure what would benefit me more. Going 50 faith or start raising str/dex to 50 and use a better weapon (not even sure which one to use). My plan is to get end/vit to 40 each with 3-4 spell slots. Just not sure what I want to do about damage.

Edit: I'm new to the game and really trying to figure out stuff myself. I don't have those rings yet. I just finished Blighttown.

Understood, also, keep in mind that I only have 50 Faith on my Faith/Dex build because I really wanted to get Sunlight Spear, capping stats at about 40 is the best thing to do, the bonus you get AFTER 40 isn't very good, so 40 Dex will be good enough if you decide to go the Dex/Faith path.

I don't want to spoil things for you, I'm sure you'll come across the rings we mentioned soon enough.

Also, take advantage of Pyromancy as well, you don't need any stats to use and upgrade it and it's very useful all around, especially for newer players. But if you're still thinking about whether to upgrade Faith or Dex/Str first, I'd say that you have enough Faith for now, you should start upgrading the weapon of your choice a little bit and decide whether you want a Str or Dex based weapon, and of course work on the stat itself a little more, and a little more Vitality wouldn't go amiss.

I personally find Dex weapons better to be honest, although my original save is actually a Str based build (mainly) and it's pretty good, but Dex weapons are just more versatile and alot faster, generally just better for the most part if you ask me.

Just to clarify, the best Dex weapons include the Balder Side Sword, Ricard's Rapier and the Uchigatana among more, these three are my personal favorites.

Others include the Painting Guardian Sword, Washing Pole, Chaos Blade and Queelag's Furysword is quite good too, but the last two have an added fire element, so they're not very good against every enemy type so keep that in mind.

I hope some of this advice helps you, sorry for typing so much! it's a huge game.

"Ahh, dragon slaying. Knighthood's highest calling..." - Hawkeye Gough

IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI on Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:25 pm

First off, if people read your post, and saw you were at Queelana's, they'd know you didn't have access to those rings.

What you're looking for is not an end game build, but a strategy of how to level up and what to grab. So here we go.

Your build is just fine right now. Lightning spear/great lightning spear are terrific PvE miracles.

Your focus is good. I would say keep it up. I don't know how much I should spoil for you, but in terms of general strategy:

Keep pushing Endurance and Faith. Switch from a Raw+5 to a Divine weapon. Farm the Leeches in blighttown for the Green Shards necessary.

I would not go into pyromancy. For PvE, souls are hard to acquire and levelling up gives you added defence; Pyromancy does not. That being said, Power Within is a great PvE tool (can be found in blighttown).

I don't want to spoil too much, but you can get a ring that increases your Equipment load by 50%, which, with your high endurance, will allow you to wear gear that both protects you and allows you to move out of the way.

Your thinking that it's better to be fast is fine to a point; and that point is the truly heavy armour that protects you (Stone, Havel, Black Iron, etc). That, combined with a Heavish Divine weapon, will do some great damage.

I would use the Eagle shield. You also find this in Blighttown. The stability vs weight on that thing is amazing.

Once you can use an Elemental weapon, I would switch to that, but that won't be for a bit.

My advice? Complete Darkroot Garden before Sen's Fortress. Lots of helpful goodied for you along that path.

Cheers

Are you on XBox or playstation?

Ioskeha

Post by Ioskeha on Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:17 pm

Hey thanks a lot. You both gave some great advice. I got tired of turtuling behind shield with my Winged Spear, so I switched my weapon over to the Uchigatana. I thought it was the Spear that I liked, but I was wrong. I like the speed of the swing. Now I gotta get use to blocking. winking

I'm playing on the Xbox.

IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI on Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:30 am

Ok, I'm on there as well, add me if you like.

VI Mark IV

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:31 pm