Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+3
lextune
Juutas
IV_Mark_VI
7 posters

Disliking Undead Burg

IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Disliking Undead Burg Empty Disliking Undead Burg

Post by IV_Mark_VI Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:49 pm

So, I have started duelling in undead burg and... I don't like it. The reason being, is it feels there's not much room to move. One flip gets you across the fighting space.

Now I understand people's builds. It's fighting in a cramped space, which changes what weapons and builds are good and which are not.

In a wide open space like the forest or kiln, pyromancy sucks more (as it should, given no stat investment), and distance weapons are as effective as they should be.

So why is the burg so popular? Do people just like a tiny arena to smash each other in?

Personally... I'll keep at it, just to see if it changes my mind, but my initial impression is not happy.
    Juutas
    Juutas
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Disliking Undead Burg Empty Re: Disliking Undead Burg

Post by Juutas Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:53 pm

I think Burg is the ideal size of arena for duels. The only thing I have noticed to have big advance in there is pyromancy. You can f*cking destroy with pyro in the burg.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:09 pm

Well, respectfully disagree. In the burg, you can move left/right but you can't move back continually. I feel pyro, having no requirement to invest in INT/FTH should be much less effective than either (or much more specialized).

My Dragon Slayer Spear destroys in the forest, but in the Burg, it's too tight to use it.

Ideal size? Not mine!
    lextune
    lextune
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by lextune Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:09 pm

The BB glitch made it a very popular place for pvp.

You glitch everything you need/want and just start pvping right there.

The next patch will rejuvenate a number of other dueling areas, since people will once again have to actually play through the game to make their builds.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:11 pm

Ah. Since I don't glitch, Forest was a natural place for me to play, and I could only host in the burg in NG+. I prefer to host, as all fights are fair and I don't have to get frustrated with Gankers.

Honestly though, I find the space really tight. It doesn't feel natural. That being said, I understand different weapons perform differently in different sized spaces, so as the space shifts, so do the weapons.

Honestly, I dislike pyromancy as you don't have to sacrafice much to get a ton of utility in the burg. In other places... it kind of sucks. You just backpedal and it'll miss you normally.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:25 pm

I've found the place a bit cramped, but any arena can give a certain style an advantage. The most neutral place I've found is the PW arena, which I find to be a very ideal place to duel.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:26 pm

PW arena is quite large, that should be just fine. Plus you don't need to kill the boss to progress in the story.
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:27 pm

Depending on my build, I'll either camp out in the burg, dark londo, or PW. Those 3 are the most level grounded, but each has there own benefits.
    Spife
    Spife

Post by Spife Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:02 pm

IV_Mark_VI wrote:Well, respectfully disagree. In the burg, you can move left/right but you can't move back continually. I feel pyro, having no requirement to invest in INT/FTH should be much less effective than either (or much more specialized).

My Dragon Slayer Spear destroys in the forest, but in the Burg, it's too tight to use it.

Ideal size? Not mine!

I haven't pvp'd much in other areas, but I run a DSS build and don't have much of a problem in the burg. I just try to avoid the corners, maximize my range and keep moving.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:21 pm

I think I could do it, but my DSS build is an Orn cosplay. So no shield, only some faith miracles, and orn gear. Works fine in the forest..

But a shield, especially Grass Crest or just Crest Shield would help quite a bit.
    zzombieboy
    zzombieboy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by zzombieboy Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:27 pm

I don't see how you could be having trouble with the DSS anywhere. Having a small arena surely just makes it harder for your opponent to avoid your spear? This has been my experience with Silver Knight RP in the Burg. You're not at a disadvantage against someone using a shorter reach weapon, in my opinion.
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:30 pm

Maybe. Buff weapons definitely increase in power in close quarters.

How do others feel? Do people that play heavily in the burg find fighting in wide open areas that their build is not as good?

Making a silver knight 27str/40dex build right now actually, just to use the spear.
    zzombieboy
    zzombieboy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by zzombieboy Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:34 pm

IV_Mark_VI wrote:Maybe. Buff weapons definitely increase in power in close quarters.

That's true, but if you outrange them it's all good happy
    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by IV_Mark_VI Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:39 pm

Well maybe I just need more practice then. Forest I do very very well, Burg I'm not. Attributing that to bad builds, but maybe it's just plain old bad play.

Will practice more.
    Spife
    Spife

Post by Spife Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:44 pm

I'm not using a shield (well not to block anyway), but I am using a dwgr to get away from things and it helps a ton. I'm dex/faith though and have wog, and yeah two handed DSS is a little harder to use in burg then forrest, what rings are you running?

as for the topic at hand: I think the burg is a *little* cramped for the DSS but you can definitely still outspace people, the trouble is just keeping your ideal spacing (which is your opponent just outside your spear range imo, so you can still poke at them and threaten them but not get punished)

oh yeah, also in my experiences the forrest is a mixed bag, usually baddies, I would win a LOT more in the forest then in the burg
    zzombieboy
    zzombieboy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by zzombieboy Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:48 pm

Think about it from the other persons perspective. 'OH shiiii, we're in a tiny arena, and he has a massive spear, how am I supposed to avoid that!?'

Not such a disadvantage. Yes, ideally you want a bigger area but you still have the advantage over someone using a straight sword, Greatsword or Katana (expect perhaps the washing pole).
    cloudyeki
    cloudyeki
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by cloudyeki Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:41 pm

I will say one thing bout the burg arena size. It's probably the best place to master spacing. You'ven't a clue how much better you get in the burg just by knowing how to judge your reach and your opponent's reach.
    Wisp
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Wisp Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:48 pm

I hate fighting spears in the burg. If they stand in the middle with a DSS they can hit you from anywhere

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:10 am