Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+17
Artoriasflagg
vatar5
XuitusTheGreat
Deathsitexxi
OrnsteinBro
Frostacar
RNsunbro
Gaxe
Tolvo
Ghadis_God
Serious_Much
Slarg232
Casdman
Anonymous Proxy
Shkar
Spurgun
SEANB240
21 posters

Berserk References

SEANB240
    SEANB240
    Addicted
    Addicted

Berserk References Empty Berserk References

Post by SEANB240 Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:03 pm

There are a ton of them in Dark Souls and based on some closer inspection, it seems that it is more so than in Demons. I posted a thread relating to the DLC about this (lots of veeery interesting stuff relating to the Abyss and Artorias), but wanted the non-PC lore junkies to get a look at the rest of it.

For those not in the know, Miyazaki has taken A LOT of inspiration for the Souls series from the Berserk universe, as summed up in this oldie but goodie:

Berserk References Berserkanddemonssouls

Some things we have found so far (includes pictures of Artorias, but no spoilers or further explanation):

Berserk References Berserker_Armor_by_hellbeast

Berserk References Dark-souls-pc-artorias

[img]Berserk References 261503-1449934_e_large[/img]

Berserk References 4tR64

Berserk References 250h
    Berserk References Capra_demon

(Thanks Casdman!)

Berserk References 368033-bp_zodd_super
    Berserk References KzV2S

Berserk References 250px-Hill_of_Swords
    Berserk References Grave%2Bof%2BArtorias%2B_5da9ba50c3d9511ab559d98b20be30c8

Berserk References Doldrey1
    (Need a good pic of Lordran for comparison)

Coming soon, once I take some ingame pics myself (feel free to volunteer though!):
    Anor Londo/Holy City; Pinwheel/Wheel Skeleton; Effigy Shield/I forget...

There is plenty more on the way.
    Spurgun
    Chosen Undead
    Chosen Undead

Berserk References Empty Re: Berserk References

Post by Spurgun Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:10 pm

Serpicos wind sword - Blind.
    SEANB240
    SEANB240
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by SEANB240 Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:16 pm

The Lady Farnese/Rhea link was a great point, too. Without getting into DLC material, I think there is a strong link between Artorias and Co. and the Band of the Hawk.
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:17 pm

I hate too seem like I'm rejecting your theory, but a lot of those images are the kind of stuff traditionally pictured in RPGs and mythologies. That said, it is very convincing that they took at least some of their artistic cues from the series, there are a lot of similarities.
    SEANB240
    SEANB240
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by SEANB240 Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:22 pm

Shkar wrote:I hate too seem like I'm rejecting your theory, but a lot of those images are the kind of stuff traditionally pictured in RPGs and mythologies. That said, it is very convincing that they took at least some of their artistic cues from the series, there are a lot of similarities.

Yeah, but the extent that they tied into it with Demons was pretty strong, so I'm sure a lot of this is actually a nod to Berserk. Some of it is not even worth arguing, like the Rickert and Pinwheel thing, because these are, without even a glimmer of a doubt, homages to Berserk.
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:25 pm

SEANB240 wrote:
    Shkar wrote:I hate too seem like I'm rejecting your theory, but a lot of those images are the kind of stuff traditionally pictured in RPGs and mythologies. That said, it is very convincing that they took at least some of their artistic cues from the series, there are a lot of similarities.

Yeah, but the extent that they tied into it with Demons was pretty strong, so I'm sure a lot of this is actually a nod to Berserk. Some of it is not even worth arguing, like the Rickert and Pinwheel thing, because these are, without even a glimmer of a doubt, homages to Berserk.

Hey, as I've said before, the odds of me ever getting to play DeS is slim to none. I play a man's console silly
    SEANB240
    SEANB240
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by SEANB240 Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:31 pm

Shkar wrote:

Hey, as I've said before, the odds of me ever getting to play DeS is slim to none. I play a man's console silly

RROD, M$, ETC!

Just kidding, I have one, too.
    Shkar
    Shkar
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Shkar Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:33 pm

SEANB240 wrote:
    Shkar wrote:

RROD, M$, ETC!

Just kidding, I have one, too.

Haha, I never mean to start a console war with that, I just like to be a **** sometimes silly. Although, XBL has never gone down for a week at a time...

Anyway, back on topic. I'm done being a jerk happy
    Anonymous Proxy
    Anonymous Proxy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Anonymous Proxy Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:57 pm

Let's not forget the Four Kings of the Astral World.

The Abyss can be somewhat Astral, as no normal human being can walk within it.

Thus, the Four Kings of the Abyss.
    SEANB240
    SEANB240
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by SEANB240 Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:03 pm

Anonymous Proxy wrote:Let's not forget the Four Kings of the Astral World.

The Abyss can be somewhat Astral, as no normal human being can walk within it.

Thus, the Four Kings of the Abyss.

Oh snap, good point!

Four Kings of the World

The four guardian angels of the four borders of the world dwell in the heart of the Astral world. They govern over the spiritual elements of Earth, Fire, Wind, Water (North, South, East and West respectively). They are even documented in the Holy See's scripture, though most priests still deny the existence of magic. They are the most powerful astral incarnations.

Schierke summons the Four Kings in Enoch to provide a magical barrier to keep the Trolls at bay. Any astral creature that touches the barrier is destroyed.
    Casdman
    Casdman
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Casdman Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:25 pm

Just thought of another possible reference:
    Berserk References Butter11

and the moonlight butterfly:
    Berserk References Img0065
    Slarg232
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Slarg232 Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:04 pm

Is Berserk an Anime I could watch?
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:24 pm

these are brilliant. i really enjoy berserk and these similarities are crazy..

i have to say though in the same way all you could probably find another source both of these are taken from. they both hinge a lot on western mythology as emergence' old thread deduced. Though the salamanders and dragonslayer aren't coincidence i think.

I think the iron maiden thing is a bit iffy though, same with the castle.. A castle is a castle, an iron maiden is an iron maiden you can hardly vary it hehe

by the way, the top left picture, i'd say the dukes archives prison block could be shown as similar there
    Casdman
    Casdman
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Casdman Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:26 pm

Slarg232 wrote:Is Berserk an Anime I could watch?

There is indeed an anime, but it only covers one arc of the story. i suggest watch the anime, and if you like it, read the rest of the story in manga form
    Ghadis_God
    Ghadis_God
    Revived
    Revived

Post by Ghadis_God Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:01 pm

Don't watch the anime, it's done with a low budget and doesn't do the manga justice. The manga is a brilliant example of high fantasy, you should give it a look.
    Anonymous Proxy
    Anonymous Proxy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Anonymous Proxy Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:21 pm

http://www.mangareader.net/96-1121-1/berserk/chapter-1.html

You're welcome.
    SEANB240
    SEANB240
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by SEANB240 Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:24 pm

Casdman wrote:

There is indeed an anime, but it only covers one arc of the story. i suggest watch the anime, and if you like it, read the rest of the story in manga form

There is also a new version of the anime out now, with an Oct. 31 release for the West.

The old one is good, too, also has the best outtakes of anything I've ever seen:

There were also a couple of games released, one on PS2 and one on the Dreamcast. If you can find a ROM, I'd definitely recommend checking them out.

ps2

Dreamcast

As was said, though, check out the manga. It is awesome.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:09 pm

I'd just have to say from what I've seen, these sort of just look like common aspects of medieval culture at its darkest. The similarities mostly stem from the real world source, and to me it appears more that both just borrow from a common thing. Similar to five stories based off King Arthur's mythology, if a sixth one comes out I wouldn't assume it takes from the earlier five. Instead I'd assume it comes from the original Arthur Mythology. Not to reject the idea, but none just seem close enough to me.
    SEANB240
    SEANB240
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by SEANB240 Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:09 pm

Tolvo wrote:I'd just have to say from what I've seen, these sort of just look like common aspects of medieval culture at its darkest. The similarities mostly stem from the real world source, and to me it appears more that both just borrow from a common thing. Similar to five stories based off King Arthur's mythology, if a sixth one comes out I wouldn't assume it takes from the earlier five. Instead I'd assume it comes from the original Arthur Mythology. Not to reject the idea, but none just seem close enough to me.

Yeah, it is hard to see between what would be an homage versus what is drawn from a common source material (Zodd/Taurus demon, for instance) versus both. While lore-wise there might not be too heavy of a link, aside from general atmosphere, like Shkar said, there is at least a nod in the artistic sense. These are all mostly loose inspirations at best. I guess some more hard linkages would support the case, but more work has been done with this in regard to Demons', really, and that is why I thought it would be good to see what people could find for Dark Souls.

I'm going to add the DBS stuff from DeS here in a few, as that is a concrete link, as well as the Pinwheel stuff.

Gaxe
    Gaxe
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Gaxe Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:30 pm

From that first video, at 0:06 , look familiar? silly
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:36 pm

It's not like most churches have a bell tower or anything. silly
    SEANB240
    SEANB240
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by SEANB240 Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:58 pm

People have done a better job at this, I can't find some of the stuff, but here is some DBS/Keel Smasher from Demons:

Spoiler:

DBS/Keel Smasher descriptions/dialogue:

A massive slab of iron, blacksmiths joke that it hardly qualifies as a sword and is really only good for smashing.

A bladeless, thick mass of iron used for smashing.

According to the ancestors of Stonefang's excavators, it's said this weapon was created to face dragons, and is imbued with magic to protect the wielder from fire.

Scirvir says:
    There is a temple beyond here, below the ground.
    It is a work of art, molded by the ancient burrowers to appease the bones of dragons.
    As a precaution, a broad sword which can crush bone and slay dragon is stored in the temple.
    Truth told, it is the laughing stock of many a swordsmith. They say it's as blunt as a bludgeon.
    A dull blade made to slay a dragon… Curious, is it not?

Hey, thats, You found it! Let me have a look!
    (wielding Dragon Bone Smasher)
    Wonderful. The arts of swordsmanship applied in a perfectly useless manner!

Here is some Pinwheel stuff:

Spoiler:
    RNsunbro
    RNsunbro
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by RNsunbro Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:20 am

Anonymous Proxy wrote:http://www.mangareader.net/96-1121-1/berserk/chapter-1.html

You're welcome.

I've been wanting to read this for a while, thanks!
    Frostacar
    Frostacar
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Frostacar Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:27 pm

If I could inject my own Berserk reference I have found in Dark Souls, more out of perspective for me.

There's an episode of Berserk called "Bonfire of Dreams"

Of course we all know Bonfires in Dark souls.

Though not as clear cut of a reference and probably not one in the long run in the Episode Guts talks to Casca about the men in the Band of The Hawk as they overlook the camp on top of the hill. He has a few quotes to say that make me think of really the Multiplayer aspect of Dark Souls.

"To ensure that the weaker flames don't go out each man casts there in to the strongest fire of them all..."

He then says he only stops by the bonfire while passing for he must move forward.

I think it just says a lot about the people who play Dark Souls, As you stop by a Bonfire you may see other's in their struggle, everyone lights their bonfires to make make it grow stronger. But you cannot stay there like a few who stop by the Bonfire you have your own goals and must continue onward only to stop by while passing and to see those others as they also progress.

Not really a reference but thats sort of what I got in comparison between Dark souls/Berserk both excellent sources of the Dark Fantasy genre.

Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:01 pm

[quote="SEANB240"]People have done a better job at this, I can't find some of the stuff, but here is some DBS/Keel Smasher from Demons:

Spoiler:

DBS/Keel Smasher descriptions/dialogue:

A massive slab of iron, blacksmiths joke that it hardly qualifies as a sword and is really only good for smashing.

A bladeless, thick mass of iron used for smashing.

According to the ancestors of Stonefang's excavators, it's said this weapon was created to face dragons, and is imbued with magic to protect the wielder from fire.

Scirvir says:
    There is a temple beyond here, below the ground.
    It is a work of art, molded by the ancient burrowers to appease the bones of dragons.
    As a precaution, a broad sword which can crush bone and slay dragon is stored in the temple.
    Truth told, it is the laughing stock of many a swordsmith. They say it's as blunt as a bludgeon.
    A dull blade made to slay a dragon… Curious, is it not?

Hey, thats, You found it! Let me have a look!
    (wielding Dragon Bone Smasher)
    Wonderful. The arts of swordsmanship applied in a perfectly useless manner!

I absolutely love this, isaw this dialogue before i'd even read berserk, but seeing it there now it really is a direct tribute to it. a pretty goddam awesome one to boot.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:07 pm