Stupid questions.

    Share
    avatar
    joeclone
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 300
    Reputation : 2
    Join date : 2012-07-18

    Stupid questions.

    Post by joeclone on Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:40 pm

    As much as i play this game...400+ hours and climbing. there is so much i don't understand.

    divine weapons.
    i assume divine weapons work like elm weapons base dam+divine dam= totes dam. but it seems like maybe this isn't the case? the last few PTS, my divine weapons seem to be doing even less than base damage, even after being upgraded. and i did confirm this before posting, so maybe i am just not understanding something.

    Equip load.
    the wiki said that as long as your equip weight is below 25% you will move at the fastest speed running evading rolling, whatever, but something seems wrong with this, when wearing my preferred armor, even if i have nothing else equipped my movement speed suffers, and the armor is only 6 lbs so i dunno if maybe different suits of armor have different hidden encumbrance levels?

    Weapon damage.
    i have noticed a lot of times, weapons rated higher dam, actually attack for less than lower ranked weapons. i'm about 80% sure i understand stat scaling. but maybe i don't? it seems that if you meet minimum stat levels you can use it, but it your levels are higher it does more damage? i am wondering if weapon weight has any hidden/ or obvious effects on dam. like we all know if you use a weapon you are under str to use you use it slow and stumbling. but once you reach the requirements, and surpass them, does that have any effect on attack speed and damage? this does not seem true really.


    anyway that was embarrassing to ask but i thought i would, it anyone has silly questions to ask ill try and answer them.


    _________________
    'put that in your pipe and smoke it....with your burnt lips.'
    avatar
    Marionx
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 142
    Reputation : 1
    Join date : 2012-08-25
    Location : Locked away in the Undead Asylum or wandering Lordran.

    Re: Stupid questions.

    Post by Marionx on Tue Aug 28, 2012 6:37 pm

    I think it is due to split damage. As you play beyond NG+, the enemies' defenses get stronger and as a result, you're dealing less damage to them because of higher resistances. I usually try to wean myself off the elemental weapons and go for a regular +15 weapon.

    Don't really know about the equip load, but having certain armor pieces will affect stamina regen.

    You should be able to do more damage if your stats are higher, but it depends on what weapon you are investing in. I don't know about about the weight of a weapon. I don't really see much difference in my BSS +15 at 40 DEX, in terms of weight and swing speed.

    Hope that helps.


    _________________
    Psn: marionx
    avatar
    joeclone
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 300
    Reputation : 2
    Join date : 2012-07-18

    Re: Stupid questions.

    Post by joeclone on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:20 pm

    Marionx wrote:I think it is due to split damage. As you play beyond NG+, the enemies' defenses get stronger and as a result, you're dealing less damage to them because of higher resistances. I usually try to wean myself off the elemental weapons and go for a regular +15 weapon.

    Don't really know about the equip load, but having certain armor pieces will affect stamina regen.

    You should be able to do more damage if your stats are higher, but it depends on what weapon you are investing in. I don't know about about the weight of a weapon. I don't really see much difference in my BSS +15 at 40 DEX, in terms of weight and swing speed.

    Hope that helps.


    at least it was a response silly


    _________________
    'put that in your pipe and smoke it....with your burnt lips.'

    oregonav8r
    Regular
    Regular

    Posts : 90
    Reputation : 4
    Join date : 2012-08-23

    Re: Stupid questions.

    Post by oregonav8r on Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:07 am

    I know divine weapons scale with faith...so if you have a low faith stat, your divine weapon will be as good as a toothpick. Think of divine damage as being a "miracle" or "blessing", and therefore the faith scaling makes sense.

    Need more info to answer your question about equipment load...what specific armor are you using (plus weapons since it all adds weight) and what level of endurance do you have? Also, using any rings that affect equipment load like Havel's ring?

    Stat scaling is essentially a "damage bonus" for a particular stat. Some weapons have better scaling than others; from worst scaling to best, the order is E D C B A S. So, if a weapon has a D rating in strength, but a B rating in dexterity, you gain more benefit from putting points into your dexterity stat, and the weapon gets a damage bonus as a result.

    Hope that helps a bit.

    Edit: I forgot to mention, but strength/dexterity levels have nothing to do with a weapon's swing speed...a moveset of a weapon will never change, only its attack power.
    avatar
    joeclone
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 300
    Reputation : 2
    Join date : 2012-07-18

    Re: Stupid questions.

    Post by joeclone on Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:01 pm

    oregonav8r wrote:I know divine weapons scale with faith...so if you have a low faith stat, your divine weapon will be as good as a toothpick. Think of divine damage as being a "miracle" or "blessing", and therefore the faith scaling makes sense.

    Need more info to answer your question about equipment load...what specific armor are you using (plus weapons since it all adds weight) and what level of endurance do you have? Also, using any rings that affect equipment load like Havel's ring?

    Stat scaling is essentially a "damage bonus" for a particular stat. Some weapons have better scaling than others; from worst scaling to best, the order is E D C B A S. So, if a weapon has a D rating in strength, but a B rating in dexterity, you gain more benefit from putting points into your dexterity stat, and the weapon gets a damage bonus as a result.

    Hope that helps a bit.

    Edit: I forgot to mention, but strength/dexterity levels have nothing to do with a weapon's swing speed...a moveset of a weapon will never change, only its attack power.

    yeah but if you str is rated, D and you pump more points into it it goes up right? it seems to me like sometimes it does and sometimes it dosent, i was thinking mayby your class may have something to do with it but im not sure.

    and yeah my faith is 8 and divine/occult weapons are useless to me.

    i use the hollow soldiers armor...wait...warrior? the lighter one, but when i put it on, it instantly drops me a speed lvl.


    _________________
    'put that in your pipe and smoke it....with your burnt lips.'

    oregonav8r
    Regular
    Regular

    Posts : 90
    Reputation : 4
    Join date : 2012-08-23

    Re: Stupid questions.

    Post by oregonav8r on Sat Sep 01, 2012 5:16 pm

    Your class has nothing to do with scaling. If the weapon has a D scaling in strength, yes you would still gain a small damage bonus from levelling strength. The letter system gives you an idea of how much benefit you will get. For example, take two strength based weapons, one with an A scaling and another with a D scaling...the weapon with the A scaling gets a much better bonus from levelling strength than the one with the D scaling.

    Keep in mind your weapons also affect your equipment load. Under 25% of your total available load gives you fast movement...from 25-50% you get medium movement, and anything above 50% gives you slow movement.
    avatar
    joeclone
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 300
    Reputation : 2
    Join date : 2012-07-18

    Re: Stupid questions.

    Post by joeclone on Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:21 pm

    oregonav8r wrote:Your class has nothing to do with scaling. If the weapon has a D scaling in strength, yes you would still gain a small damage bonus from levelling strength. The letter system gives you an idea of how much benefit you will get. For example, take two strength based weapons, one with an A scaling and another with a D scaling...the weapon with the A scaling gets a much better bonus from levelling strength than the one with the D scaling.

    Keep in mind your weapons also affect your equipment load. Under 25% of your total available load gives you fast movement...from 25-50% you get medium movement, and anything above 50% gives you slow movement.


    yeah i know wasnt using any


    _________________
    'put that in your pipe and smoke it....with your burnt lips.'

    oregonav8r
    Regular
    Regular

    Posts : 90
    Reputation : 4
    Join date : 2012-08-23

    Re: Stupid questions.

    Post by oregonav8r on Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:47 pm

    Hm, well, hollow warrior armor/helmet and hard leather gloves/boots weighs 16.0. Which means you need at least 24 endurance to be able to have fast movement, and that is without a shield or weapon.

    You can play around with gear combos to see how it affects you with the character planner. That's how I got these numbers.

    http://mugenmonkey.com/darksouls/
    avatar
    BLA1NE
    Stat Guru
    Stat Guru

    Posts : 2631
    Reputation : 172
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Location : Montreal

    Re: Stupid questions.

    Post by BLA1NE on Sat Sep 01, 2012 6:51 pm

    Divine weapons work like any weapon with split attack types, only they have a damage multiplier against undead enemies (the normal damage it would deal will be multiplied by, for example, 1.1 if you're attacking a skeleton). Split attack type means its AR is made up of more than one type (like: physical and elemental, or physical and magical), as opposed to a pure physical or a pure magical weapon, which only has one attack type. The way damage works in Dark Souls is that, the higher your AR, proportionately, the less of it is blocked by defense (think of it as increasing returns on AR). So if you have a split attack type weapon, you may have a large combined AR, but it's made up of two small ARs, each of which is subject to your target's defense, so a lot of it is blocked. A pure attack type weapon only has to go through one defense, so it benefits from the increasing returns on AR. And since the defense of your enemies goes up each playthrough, smaller ARs (so split attack type weapons included) are penalized more and more.

    Move speed is subject only to equip load, not to what that load is made up of. If you equip 6lbs of weapon or 6lbs of light armor or 6lbs of heavy armor, it's the same. But: move speed actually isn't so clear cut as < or > 25% or < or > 50%. Those are break points where you'll notice the most significant increase in encumbrance, but however much weight you add, you'll always slow yourself down a little. So the fastest move speed is actually at 0% weight, and whatever over that will be slower. 0-25%, 25-50%, 50-100%, and 100%+ are still weight categories, they're just not absolute (there's a difference between 26% and 49%, for example, but it's not as significant as the difference between 49% and 51%).

    Yes, weapon scaling will add AR to your weapon depending on the level of your scaling stats. If you increase Dex and Str and your weapon scales with them, its AR will increase. That being said, (I'm pretty certain) there is a hidden damage modifier. Depending on what weapon you're using, and what attack you're using with that weapon, it will multiply your AR. So two different weapons with the same AR can deal different damage, the same way as two different attacks with one weapon can deal different damage. It isn't necessarily tied to weapon weight, but your assumption wasn't far off.


    _________________
    Blaine Incarnate
    avatar
    joeclone
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 300
    Reputation : 2
    Join date : 2012-07-18

    Re: Stupid questions.

    Post by joeclone on Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:23 am

    yeah i am thinking there is a lot of hidden things we don't quite know about yet.


    _________________
    'put that in your pipe and smoke it....with your burnt lips.'

    Sponsored content

    Re: Stupid questions.

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:03 pm