i just though of something

    Share
    avatar
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

    Posts : 7779
    Reputation : 268
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Location : Winterfell

    i just though of something

    Post by RANT on Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:27 pm

    ok so i have never bought any dlc for any game, i just dont think its worth spending fifteen bucks for very little new content, i might not even get the dark souls dlc till next year if ever but lets say a friend of mine gets it and he drops me the new weapons, am i gonna be able to see them or what?


    _________________
    Night gathers, and now my watch begins.
    I am the sword in the darkness, I am the watcher on the walls, I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realm of men.
    I pledge my life and honor to the knight's watch for this night and all the nights to come.
    avatar
    IceIfrit666
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 504
    Reputation : 30
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Age : 97

    Re: i just though of something

    Post by IceIfrit666 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:29 pm

    I...um...uhhhhhhhhhh...*head explodes*


    _________________

    Xbox Gamertag: Druid Cathbad

    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1721
    Reputation : 52
    Join date : 2012-07-30

    Re: i just though of something

    Post by IV_Mark_VI on Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:33 pm

    Possibly. Will DLC users and non-dlc users interact at all?

    There's two scenarios:
    1) FROM releases a patch which will give all Non-DLC users the ability to see the new items/interact with them, but cannot enter the new areas.
    2) FROM segregates the community into DLC and non-dlc players. Which means you won't even be able to play with that friend.

    Unsure which way they'll go. I would guess that you will be able to interact, and the patch will also fix/nerf the appropriate items. Otherwise, they'll be separating the community, and lowering the amount of online interaction, which is a big draw of this game.

    On the other hand, there will be less incentive to buy the DLC. Hmm...

    I just have musings on this, no answer. Sorry!

    Edit: If they do not allow DLC and non-DLC players to interact, we'll have 5 camps of players:
    PS3 DLC, PS3 non-dlc, Xbox dlc, xbox non-dlc, and PC. Quite the split!


    Last edited by IV_Mark_VI on Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
    avatar
    joeclone
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 300
    Reputation : 2
    Join date : 2012-07-18

    Re: i just though of something

    Post by joeclone on Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:33 pm

    RantFromRant wrote:ok so i have never bought any dlc for any game, i just dont think its worth spending fifteen bucks for very little new content, i might not even get the dark souls dlc till next year if ever but lets say a friend of mine gets it and he drops me the new weapons, am i gonna be able to see them or what?

    hum....not a bad question.

    more than likely you wont be able to get into a game with someone who has the dlc. if you don't have it. thats always been my exp. i cold be wrong though maybe you just wont be able to see them/ pick them up.

    or they will release a patch. but i wouldnt hold my breath waiting for it.

    i used to be like you. and didnt welcome dlc. then i realised i was just being silly. if the game was good enough to pay 60$ for chances are i will pay for the DLC/ GOTY cause you cant get to much of a good thing.

    and i mean honestly how many great games have you played this year? two maybe three. personally i am more than happy to spend the extra few bucks.



    _________________
    'put that in your pipe and smoke it....with your burnt lips.'

    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1721
    Reputation : 52
    Join date : 2012-07-30

    Re: i just though of something

    Post by IV_Mark_VI on Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:39 pm

    Yeah, +1 joeclone. I will definitely support FROM, they deserve it! I would love another installment of a game of this type.

    Been waiting all my life for an RPG of this style and calibre, that is more than just a collection of numbers.


    _________________
    XBox Gamertag: VI Mark IV
    PSN: VI_Mark_IV
    avatar
    joeclone
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

    Posts : 300
    Reputation : 2
    Join date : 2012-07-18

    Re: i just though of something

    Post by joeclone on Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:23 pm

    IV_Mark_VI wrote:Yeah, +1 joeclone. I will definitely support FROM, they deserve it! I would love another installment of a game of this type.

    Been waiting all my life for an RPG of this style and calibre, that is more than just a collection of numbers.

    yeah. i am already anticipating another DS.

    I love Ds i play it more the skyrim. goes directly into the top 10.

    and you know Dark Souls is no grand Theft Auto. if we don't support it we might not see another.


    _________________
    'put that in your pipe and smoke it....with your burnt lips.'

    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1721
    Reputation : 52
    Join date : 2012-07-30

    Re: i just though of something

    Post by IV_Mark_VI on Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:29 pm

    Yeah. Well, I will pony up my money for this for sure.

    I just wish all of it would go to FROM instead of Microsoft.


    _________________
    XBox Gamertag: VI Mark IV
    PSN: VI_Mark_IV
    avatar
    SEANB240
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 133
    Reputation : 33
    Join date : 2012-04-12

    Re: i just though of something

    Post by SEANB240 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:37 pm

    joeclone wrote: if we don't support it we might not see another.

    We might not see another anyways if From feels like the port was a failure, not from a profit perspective, but in general sentiment. Miyazaki said they weren't sure if they would consider another installment if the community didn't forgive them and the number of petitions against them regarding the PC edition probably isn't going to help that cause any.

    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1721
    Reputation : 52
    Join date : 2012-07-30

    Re: i just though of something

    Post by IV_Mark_VI on Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:43 pm

    Interesting. Link SeanB240?


    _________________
    XBox Gamertag: VI Mark IV
    PSN: VI_Mark_IV

    callipygias
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1776
    Reputation : 93
    Join date : 2012-02-18
    Age : 48
    Location : Oregon, US

    Re: i just though of something

    Post by callipygias on Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:53 pm

    Well, the game is more than a year old and still as busy as ever. That kind of fact is much more important even than petitions and such, though they are obviously very much in touch with fans' requests/complaints, as evidenced by the recent changes. I'm sure there will be another Souls game, my only fear is that Miyazaki will get hit by a bus or something. We should bubble-wrap him.

    As to not being willing to pony up the scratch for DLC on a game you've probably played for 1,000+ hours... well, I guess that falls under the "different strokes..." category.


    _________________
    XBL: callipygias33
    PSN: callipygias33


    "It's just common sense to NOT go into battle naked." ~ Yarxov

    "Billy - what type of gladiator do you plan on being?" ~ TehInfamousAmos

    "Troll the big drunk guy at the bar. Get punched in the face. Repeat until desire to troll is gone." ~ Forum Pirate
    avatar
    SEANB240
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 133
    Reputation : 33
    Join date : 2012-04-12

    Re: i just though of something

    Post by SEANB240 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:46 am

    avatar
    >Brave<
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 112
    Reputation : 8
    Join date : 2012-08-10
    Age : 24
    Location : In Royal Wood roasting marshmellows

    Re: i just though of something

    Post by >Brave< on Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:10 am

    This man needs to be DLC'd on sight.


    _________________

    PS3: SipuraEin
    Raptr Forum Signature
    avatar
    StarScarJenova
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 221
    Reputation : 15
    Join date : 2012-08-19

    Re: i just though of something

    Post by StarScarJenova on Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:17 am

    I would gladly spend $15 bucks, or more, for something that will bring me countless hours of enjoyment. I mean, by comparison that $15 in terms of enjoyment couldn't be better spent. Movie? $13 for XD! Beer? $15 20 pack bud light! Theme park? $45 for a day! Trip to Japan? Ok, lets not get carried away...But seriously, all those other options, while awesome, give you for the same price, if not more, a days worth of enjoyment, TOPS!

    I'll spend the $15 gladly! big grin


    _________________

    PSN: StarScarJenova
    Request an Avatar or Sig at StarScarJenovas' Avatar Emporium! big grin
    StarScarJenovas' Avatar Emporium
    Rynn wrote:..I am speaking to a mushroom. It asked me to save the princess.
    I must go, oriental food commands it.
    avatar
    Bloodios
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 246
    Reputation : 12
    Join date : 2012-07-22

    Re: i just though of something

    Post by Bloodios on Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:25 am

    Here's what he said:

    “We don’t even know if we’ll have another chance. We have the confidence that we can improve from our mistakes this time and create an even better Dark world, but we don’t know if the users will forgive us for the mistakes, so I cannot give an exact answer.”

    Hidetaka Miyazaki

    Let's be serious, most of us don't even mind those problems anymore. And even with those butt-hurting rages about the PC version, it shouldn't matter. All that does is telling From Software (and especially Namco) that porting the game the PC was a bad idea and they should never do it ever again. Come now, the game got overwhelmingly good reviews and the fact that people even went out of their way to petition for a PC version shows how much love people have for the game. From Software has to had gone cuckoo to not consider making another title in the series, seeing that it's the best franchise they're producing at the moment. Of course, in the mean time, I'll support the team in any way that I can (the obvious way would purchasing the DLC day one.)


    _________________
    avatar
    Specter737
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 145
    Reputation : 7
    Join date : 2012-01-19
    Location : The Abyss

    Re: i just though of something

    Post by Specter737 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:00 am

    Bloodios wrote:Here's what he said:
    “We don’t even know if we’ll have another chance. We have the confidence that we can improve from our mistakes this time and create an even better Dark world, but we don’t know if the users will forgive us for the mistakes, so I cannot give an exact answer.”


    Hidetaka Miyazaki
    Let's be serious, most of us don't even mind those problems anymore. And even with those butt-hurting rages about the PC version, it shouldn't matter. All that does is telling From Software (and especially Namco) that porting the game the PC was a bad idea and they should never do it ever again. Come now, the game got overwhelmingly good reviews and the fact that people even went out of their way to petition for a PC version shows how much love people have for the game. From Software has to had gone cuckoo to not consider making another title in the series, seeing that it's the best franchise they're producing at the moment. Of course, in the mean time, I'll support the team in any way that I can (the obvious way would purchasing the DLC day one.)

    Exactly my thoughts.
    From's got a franchise that people love, and it proofs been there since day one of Demon Souls, and I think they'd be making a serious miscalculation of their audiences approval if they thought that had somehow changed at any point.
    They've made mistakes and maybe overlooked some things here and there, but they are still only just game devs. Porting to PC may not have been the "best" choice, but they had the right intentions, more or less because it shows that they're willing to, and actively involved in not only expanding, but evolving. They still can't really tell how projects are going to pan out until they do it. To most that would seem like luck, but like I said earlier, the proof is peoples wallets smacking them in the face. I think they underestimate their audiences willingness to adapt.
    It's refreshing to see them humble, just because I think there are a lot of well established game devs out there who really, obviously couldn't give less of a crap about the content they put out there, or the audiences who play it, just as long as they get their chunk of change (which is often more like $15) out of everyone.
    And for that fact alone, they deserve to be supported, at least in my book.


    _________________
    Check out my topic "Specter's Black Armory"!
    Get geared up!

    avatar
    Rin
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1093
    Reputation : 14
    Join date : 2012-01-31
    Age : 105
    Location : Painted World, planting flowers...

    Re: i just though of something

    Post by Rin on Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:20 am

    Well in my opinion the nerfs in the pc version most likely mean there will not be any dlc/non-dlc split, as the nerfs will most likely be released in a patch then the new contents and will be updated in the patch and a way to prevent any imbalances will be but inplace like not being able to drop these items...

    But as 'the other' company with its ingenious marketing tactics has a big influence on drs they might split the dlc/non-dlc players just to make money...


    _________________
    "Madness is a bitter mercy, perhaps, but a mercy none the less"

    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1721
    Reputation : 52
    Join date : 2012-07-30

    Re: i just though of something

    Post by IV_Mark_VI on Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:31 am

    The reviews are excellent, but from what I've read the sales are a bit on the low side. And that's what pays the bills: sales. Not reviews.

    I wonder what the total cost of this game was, including loans / investors, and their respective payouts, and what the profit margin is.


    _________________
    XBox Gamertag: VI Mark IV
    PSN: VI_Mark_IV
    avatar
    SEANB240
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 133
    Reputation : 33
    Join date : 2012-04-12

    Re: i just though of something

    Post by SEANB240 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:45 pm

    IV_Mark_VI wrote:The reviews are excellent, but from what I've read the sales are a bit on the low side. And that's what pays the bills: sales. Not reviews.

    I wonder what the total cost of this game was, including loans / investors, and their respective payouts, and what the profit margin is.

    This.

    We already know they are perceptive to the community's voice. Combine the massive outcry against the PC edition with a sales number hitting below the mark and it does cast doubt on another installment, no matter how many people love the game. I hope we get another one, but if anyone thinks it would be the first time a publisher basically wrecked a dev team over things even smaller than this, you're mistaken. From will still be around, but this could be it for Souls.

    avatar
    Slarg232
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

    Posts : 1351
    Reputation : 51
    Join date : 2012-08-07
    Age : 26

    Re: i just though of something

    Post by Slarg232 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:53 pm

    SEANB240 wrote:
    IV_Mark_VI wrote:The reviews are excellent, but from what I've read the sales are a bit on the low side. And that's what pays the bills: sales. Not reviews.

    I wonder what the total cost of this game was, including loans / investors, and their respective payouts, and what the profit margin is.

    This.

    We already know they are perceptive to the community's voice. Combine the massive outcry against the PC edition with a sales number hitting below the mark and it does cast doubt on another installment, no matter how many people love the game. I hope we get another one, but if anyone thinks it would be the first time a publisher basically wrecked a dev team over things even smaller than this, you're mistaken. From will still be around, but this could be it for Souls.




    Oh come off it; Dark Souls outsold Gears of War 3, one of the BIGGEST exclusive titles on the Xbox.... Yeah sure, it's multiplat vs exlclusive, but I want to remind everyone just how big GoW IS to the Xbox....

    They will think twice about doing a PC version, and they will think twice about trying to screw us over like that, but they might do it again.Impossible to say for sure.


    _________________


    avatar
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

    Posts : 7779
    Reputation : 268
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Location : Winterfell

    Re: i just though of something

    Post by RANT on Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:58 pm

    if namco publishes the nest one they will slarg.


    _________________
    Night gathers, and now my watch begins.
    I am the sword in the darkness, I am the watcher on the walls, I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realm of men.
    I pledge my life and honor to the knight's watch for this night and all the nights to come.

    IV_Mark_VI
    Hollowed
    Hollowed

    Posts : 1721
    Reputation : 52
    Join date : 2012-07-30

    Re: i just though of something

    Post by IV_Mark_VI on Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:06 am

    Doesn't matter. What was the cost? What was the profit? You know why there's so many low budget horror movies with a cast you've never heard of? Because they make great profit. Horrible movies, but the cost to profit ratio is good.

    So what was GoW3's cost? I can't see it being more than this game. They made some new maps, slapped some weapons, bam. All the framework was already there. This project is way more ambitious. Way more interactions. Hence, more cost.

    To fund this project, you need cash. Developers don't work for free; you need to pay them every 2 weeks. Investors have x amount of money, and they want the biggest returns on that money. FROM may not care too much about profit, but the person paying the bills sure does. If they are a publicly traded company they MUST, by law, make as much profit as possible. So saying they don't care about money doesn't make sense, and saying they sold x copies without taking into account development dollars doesn't make sense either.
    avatar
    zzombieboy
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 222
    Reputation : 3
    Join date : 2012-06-28
    Location : UK

    Re: i just though of something

    Post by zzombieboy on Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:30 am

    I've been wondering this for a while as well. Seems unlikely that they would allow players who have bought the DLC to drop the new weapons/armour etc for those who haven't, which would obviously happen, as that would most likely impact their profits. Then on the other hand, there really isn't a practical away to avoid it because splitting the players seems like a pretty stupid idea. It was that sort of thing that helped doom the Fable series Shrug

    Perhaps if a patch is released, it will allow non-DLC users to interact with the new gear but not use it for themselves, if such a thing is possible.


    _________________
    YOLO, eh? Not in Lordran!
    :blue-orb: :bas:
    avatar
    StarScarJenova
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 221
    Reputation : 15
    Join date : 2012-08-19

    Re: i just though of something

    Post by StarScarJenova on Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:33 am

    Little big planet had a way to play the game when dlc was implemented only you could use it, but you could interact with it. Pretty cool...it actually made me want the metal gear pack when I saw the paintinator! silly


    _________________

    PSN: StarScarJenova
    Request an Avatar or Sig at StarScarJenovas' Avatar Emporium! big grin
    StarScarJenovas' Avatar Emporium
    Rynn wrote:..I am speaking to a mushroom. It asked me to save the princess.
    I must go, oriental food commands it.
    avatar
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

    Posts : 7779
    Reputation : 268
    Join date : 2012-01-17
    Location : Winterfell

    Re: i just though of something

    Post by RANT on Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:33 am

    im not getting it anyway, i guess we'll see if i can get the new content without getting the dlc ill just ask someone to mule me all the new content.


    _________________
    Night gathers, and now my watch begins.
    I am the sword in the darkness, I am the watcher on the walls, I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realm of men.
    I pledge my life and honor to the knight's watch for this night and all the nights to come.
    avatar
    SEANB240
    Addicted
    Addicted

    Posts : 133
    Reputation : 33
    Join date : 2012-04-12

    Re: i just though of something

    Post by SEANB240 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:48 am

    Slarg232 wrote:
    Oh come off it; Dark Souls outsold Gears of War 3, one of the BIGGEST exclusive titles on the Xbox.... Yeah sure, it's multiplat vs exlclusive, but I want to remind everyone just how big GoW IS to the Xbox....

    They will think twice about doing a PC version, and they will think twice about trying to screw us over like that, but they might do it again.

    Based on the bottom line of the PC edition (depending on what it is) and Miyazaki's own comments, I just think there is room for doubt. Bigger franchises have met their end from smaller things. I think it would be a crime against humanity not to keep the Souls series going, but if you think it is a 100% sure bet we're getting another one, you are deluding yourself.

    Sponsored content

    Re: i just though of something

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:20 am