Does this game get fun again after Anor Londo?

Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Re: Does this game get fun again after Anor Londo?

Post by Carphil on Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:43 pm

Unforseen wrote:Well, Izalith isn't that bad anymore, seems like since the patch the aggro range on the mobs there has been lowered. Prepatch though it seemed the range was larger and they'd come after you even if your not that close.

That is totally true, in my new char, I went all the way to the first bonfire killing only two lava dinos, can't say the same about my first playthrough...

I'm not the chosen one, I'm the one who chose to be more.

Carphil_BR on PSN :bas:
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much on Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:44 pm

I never killed a single dino lol silly

i just ran XD they dont chase after you luckily hehe

Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    Unforseen
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Unforseen on Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:45 pm

Well, it's easy just to take a certain path and completely avoid fighting/aggroing any of them whatsoever.
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Post by Whknight on Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:45 pm

Oh the dragon rear ends. I wasn't aware about the aggro range. I stood up on the shortcut and used my bow to kill pretty much all of them. Good to know that!

I don't always bask in the sun, but when I do I am grossly incandescent!

XBL(Silver) - Whknight009

Swift and True! Become a member of the Helpers Brigade!

Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil on Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:48 pm

I just HATE everything in Lost izalith! Lava dinos, Lava! (killed my mage with 15 vitality 3 times) fire statues when they appear in group and stuck you in a corner, those freaking things with lots of eyes that can eat you, the most powerfull and annoying demon titanite in the game, and bed of chaos. really, the place which I most died and lost bloostains in the whole game was this hell

Dustofsaturn
    Casual
    Casual

Post by Dustofsaturn on Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:09 pm

I actually find the game gets a bit boring and tedious after Anor Londo. It may be because they and Sif are my favourite bosses by far. It just seems after that you really have to go out of your way to go somewhere and get the different things the story needs.

Just wait until you fight Seath. A special surprise in every attack!

I hate moving forward and doubling back, unless it's for farming :/

Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by nsane32 on Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:28 pm

well O and S are extremely difficult but I hate to tell you if you dont use magic the Four Kings are horrific

I will protect my lord till the very end

Au ou Pasnic Morarta

Spoiler:

GT:nsane32
    Steam:nsane32
    Toastfacekillah
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Toastfacekillah on Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:45 pm

Four Kings are quite straightforward 1st play through without magic. Just be SL 50-70 with good vit + 10 flasks, equip full Havels + 2 hand a decent weapon, have green blossom and just keep pounding on them, killing each one as they appear.

ICEninja

Post by ICEninja on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:01 am

So it turns out if I summon Solaire S and O turns from a nightmare in to...well I don't want to call it a picnic but I only died the first time because I was stupid, and the second time I managed to get them.

I just wailed on Ornstein while Smough was on the other side of the room. The most difficult battle phase of anything I've ever experienced in a game because easier than the tauros demon LOL.

Now I'm having great fun exploring some other areas I haven't been yet. Demolished that butterfly in the garden it's first rest down, and now I'm playing around in the area behind the sealed door. Some guys in there are nasty, but they're SO much more fun to fight than the crap in Anor Londo.

I'm also upgrading my shield, and holy cow I can't believe how bad I've been gimping myself leaving it without!!

Any recommendations on things to do before continuing on the main story? The painting, perhaps? I'm SL52 currently, with a very inefficient stat spread (enough attunement and faith to cast heal, about 30 stamina, and 20 or low 20's of dex/str/vitality). So far I've been incapable of killing any titanite demons that I can't arrow cheese, unfortunately. I've tried a few times, and I can't seem to find anything that works for me.
    OmniBot
    Regular
    Regular

Post by OmniBot on Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:37 am

Might want to consider using the greatsword of Artorias if your stats are spread out to make the most of them. You can make it with a +10 broken sword / hilt and the soul of Sif.

Make sure you have done the catacombs before going for any lord soul bosses.

Regarding titanite demons: get close; circle strafe to the right; block or roll under their 2-3 attack combo; hit them once or twice with a strong weapon; back up; dodge roll their jumping attack to the right and at the last second; and then go back to step one.

Also, the painted world can be pretty tough. Be warned that once you enter it you can't get back by any means other than reaching the end of the area. The boss is optional though. That being said, The Painted World of Ariamas is probably the coolest area in the game, it's kind of like Latria from Demon's Souls. It's also a great place for co-op, I usually go there around level 60+. Lastly, be sure to bring some blooming moss from the garden or the hollow woman.

Robotech
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Robotech on Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:55 am

imo the toughest places in dark souls is duke's and painted world so you might want to visit those only after you feel strong enough.
    Zechk

Post by Zechk on Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:50 am

OmniBot wrote:Might want to consider using the greatsword of Artorias if your stats are spread out to make the most of them. You can make it with a +10 broken sword / hilt and the soul of Sif.

You might if you are really high level and have crazy stats in most areas, but at his level that would be a terrible choice. A decent elemental weapon or normally upgraded weapon with a weapon buff will vastly out damage the Greatsword of Artorias until you have silly stats.

Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much on Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:54 am

Agreed Zechk.

Greatsword of Artorias will be good, but only once you are a higher level, at least 100-120 when you have the scaling stats..

at the level OP is at which he said was 50 i think? 1) he could not even wield it, 2) his +5 furysword is superior in damage as a result.

PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    Zechk

Post by Zechk on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:01 am

Especially if he has 10 humanity yeah. Quelaag's being chaos and all. Although he might be better off just upgrading something of his own as most weapons will overhaul the furysword properly upgraded, even at lvl 50ish.

Theoretically the Greatsword is the best weapon in the game, but only if you are at lvl 200 or something (I don't have time to do the actual maths right now) and have enough stats to make it not suck.

Post by jsd201 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:25 am

I don't know if i'm alone in this, but I actually really enjoy Anor Londo as a level. The architecture is brilliant, and despite certain small niggles (archer knights), it's one of my favourite areas. O&S are a bit of a pain, but as other people have said, some of the later levels are more frustrating (Tomb of the Giants, Lost Izalith etc).
    mpaschke

Post by mpaschke on Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:28 am

I'm sure others have said this as well, but I find the challenges fun (for the most part). Yes, Anor Londo can suck because of certain factors (those damn silver knight archers are IMHO the WORST part of any area, all it takes is for your character to slightly mis-time a roll or be pointing slightly in the wrong direction and BAM fall to death). But every area has it's difficult parts, they just become easier as you know the layout and learn what to avoid (i.e.take enemies on 1 at a time almost always), it's part of the design.

I looked at my first playthrough as exciting and fun, yeah I died and yeah I got frustrated, but if a boss became too difficult, I started another character and tried a different build/strategy (and to be honest, I found Capra demon in lower burg to be the hardest during my first few playthroughs, lame weapons + armor + 2 damn undead dogs + capra demon = endless deaths). Like others point out, there's usually an NPC you can draft offline, or online there's usually lots of helpful people (I know I've co-op'd dozens of times on S&O) All I can say is keep going! You'll get better and everything will become easier.
    I also find relaxing helps me deal with things better. When you're trigger happy, you tend to swing too early or just plain mis-time a parry. Pause a sec and see what each enemy does. Let the shield drop every once in a while and try to get parry timing down (preferably by a bonfire. the second one in anor londo with all the silver knights is a great spot to practice BS's and parries). Don't be too eager to finish the first playthrough, farm and upgrade everything you can. Check out stats online to see if that cool looking weapon on some other player will work for you. If you spent points un-wisely, that can't be undone so look to the future of what you want your build to be. Trying to be a jack-of-all-trades in this game is somewhat unwise. it can be done, but takes a lot of patience and becomes very challenging (maybe on your 10 character or so winking). So if you pumped a lot into strength, go for a +15 weapon and get Crystal Magic Weapon. If Dex, Quelaag is OK, but there are Uchi +15 will also work nicely.

And as others also say, if you played this far, I'm pretty sure you're hooked, so 1 playthrough/character will certainly not be enough. And then there's always PvP...
    peace

Addicted
    Addicted

Post by xXDaemonarchXx on Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:28 am

in my opinion the game kinda loses its luster after that place, you get the lord vessel you can warp between bonfires is just not as overwhelming. it's still a lot of fun but, there is definitely a change after that.

Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Doelker on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:29 am

Well, I can say that all the suggestions our fellows had said are actually great. I remember that I hated with my guts the archers run... Oh man, it was really annoying... Then I met the Tomb of Giants and I was freaked out... I don't even remember how many times I died there, I wont tell you why so I won't spoil your fun ( or frustration hehe).

But you know what, yesterday I was playing with other toon, starting from scratch, and definately the worst map in the game for me is Blighttown, I still can't get used to it, I really really hate everything about blighttown, and it is the place where i get the most silly deads one after another. It seems like a nightmare, but everytime I got a good couple of souls I get killed. Then I try to get my stain back, and bang I fall for my dead or the mob gangbangs me...

It doesn't matter how much you have played this game, it is still a real challenge.

Now, my suggestion would be: Do some PVE at Anor if you want to grind your character. Leave your mark at O&S and help others to beat them. It's real fun and it feels great when you achieve the victory. ( Sorry scratch that, I forgot you can't play online for the moment)... tongue

Anyways, just keep on with the good work, add more stats to your vitality and endurance, that will help you a lot.

Good hunting!!!
    RANT
    Tyler Durden
    Tyler Durden

Post by RANT on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:37 am

it gets a lot more fun dude, i find anor londo to be boring and so plain, i was really disappointed with it, just wait till you ge to the tomb of the giants, one of my favorite parts of the game.

I am the sword in the darkness, I am the watcher on the walls, I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realm of men.
    I pledge my life and honor to the knight's watch for this night and all the nights to come.
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much on Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:42 am

surprisingly, one bit i never found that hard were the archers.. since after my first death being careful i just though "screw it" and rushed them.. then the guy killed himself and i got to solaires bonfire with ease, lucky me, accidentally using best tactic ftw big grin

PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Post by Whknight on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:06 pm

In all honesty I think I would have raged on them, but I was lurking the old forums for awhile and had noted that poison works well on them and stocked up before I left. My roomate however had no good way of beating them and tried to bum rush everytime only to take a bolt to the chest and be shot off the walkway >.> trust me it was hilarious to watch.

I don't always bask in the sun, but when I do I am grossly incandescent!

XBL(Silver) - Whknight009

Swift and True! Become a member of the Helpers Brigade!

theAnimus
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by theAnimus on Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:09 pm

OP is awesome.
    Comodreha

Post by Comodreha on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:12 pm

Honestly I find O&S, Capra Demon, and Nito(without a divine weapon) to be the hardest bosses in game. Other bosses I had strategies to beat. 4 Kings and new londo is one of the easiest areas and bosses in my opinion. 2hand your weapon and strafe right,hug the king and dodge his attacks. When he does his aoe attack get out of range and repeat steps above.
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

Post by Carphil on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:17 pm

Yeah one time I had a lot of humanity on NG+ and tried to pass those archers. Died first time, went to recover bloodstain, died second time. Third time I removed all my armor, rushed like crazyn two handed my weapon and killed the archer on the right. I got hit by the arrow from the other archer but i did not died, so I rushed after him, with all my rage, jumped and kicked his ass. I was so happy big grin

meridam99

Post by meridam99 on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:44 pm

When I get a little bored with my toons, I create a new one from scratch to try something else, and eventually I pick up the mantle again. My first toon was sorcery heavy, but as soon as I got to Anor Lando, I could not do anything there without help, so I created a strength build. My strength build was a cake walk until I started getting spammed with tWoG by invaders, then I made a Faith build. Faith build was even easier to play than the Strength build. I then made a Dex build and the game was even easier! It wasn't until later that I realized that the builds were not better, I had learned how to play the game better. By making the other builds, I knew how the invaders were going to attack me because I had played their style, so I knew how to counter. Just play with the different builds and you will have a blast. As an aside, 1st character to level 100 took over 90 hours, 2nd character to 100, 60 hours, and the last character to 100 took me 30 hours. That should show you how by playing differently and learning the game helps you become more efficient with your time!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:06 pm