Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+2
Robotech
Akatik
6 posters

Astora's Straight Sword

Akatik
    Akatik
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Astora's Straight Sword Empty Astora's Straight Sword

Post by Akatik Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:40 pm

The sword seems pretty sweet, and I remember using it to 2 shot the Taurus demon at the beginning of my play through, but how does it do in endgame? Is this like the Drake Sword, a weapon meant only for the beginning of the game? I'm trying my best to avoid using the same weapons as every one else and I like the look/moveset of this blade.

It's got pretty good scaling, but it seems like a Divine/Occult Sunlight Straight Sword would end up doing more damage in the end.

Now, the Crescent Axe on the other hand...
    Robotech
    Robotech
    Addicted
    Addicted

Astora's Straight Sword Empty Re: Astora's Straight Sword

Post by Robotech Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:50 pm

It is a very good early game weapon for starting clerics. The drake sword will do more damage until you start upgrading the astora's (i havent ever upgraded the drake sword so idk how they compare on +5 though). But even at +5 astora's will do less damage than a +9 divine longsword on a faith build. Very usefull if you want to hit the catacombs quite early also. All in all... if you start a cleric with a master key... you have a decently powerfull weapon and shield at the start!
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:01 pm

I used it on my cleric and to be perfectly honest it became fairly useless once you hit anor londo, and a +10 weapon or +5 divine will be better than it, so frankly only useful at the furthest until both bells are rung. After better to go with other options.
    Scudman_Slayer
    Scudman_Slayer
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Scudman_Slayer Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:04 pm

after you get to anor londo i suggest you stop using it and get a silver knight sword

after anor londo people start getting weapons like greatswords or BKGA because they can upgrade them there

Robotech
    Robotech
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Robotech Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:09 pm

If you reach anor londo in low level, the lightning spear you will get in sens will outclass anything else you are able to use anyway, until you level up and use more powerful weapons ofcourse. It is a shame though because the astora's sword looks nice!
    Herbo
    Herbo
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Herbo Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:16 pm

Robotech wrote:If you reach anor londo in low level, the lightning spear you will get in sens will outclass anything else you are able to use anyway, until you level up and use more powerful weapons ofcourse. It is a shame though because the astora's sword looks nice!
    I always liked the simple, unassuming look of it. And I like that, visually, it is the same sword that Madmartigan uses at the end of the movie Willow big grin
    Robotech
    Robotech
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by Robotech Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:22 pm

Herbo wrote:
    Robotech wrote:If you reach anor londo in low level, the lightning spear you will get in sens will outclass anything else you are able to use anyway, until you level up and use more powerful weapons ofcourse. It is a shame though because the astora's sword looks nice!
    I always liked the simple, unassuming look of it. And I like that, visually, it is the same sword that Madmartigan uses in the movie Willow big grin

willow? omg, i had watched this on vhs video, great movie! those where the days eh? happy
    PPG-3-
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by PPG-3- Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:53 pm

is there anyway to make this sword viable at the SL120 PVP level?

*nevermind, just looked into. not even enchantable. what a shame*
    Akatik
    Akatik
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Akatik Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:59 pm

PPG-3- wrote:is there anyway to make this sword viable at the SL120 PVP level?

*nevermind, just looked into. not even enchantable. what a shame*

I know, right? I've been digging the look and the movesets of the straight swords. This sword should be enchantable, it would rival the damage of a silver knight straight sword. But then, it could have two different magic properties which is not possible.
    PPG-3-
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by PPG-3- Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:02 pm

yeah I get the divine aspect of it messes it up. but then it should do better scaling.

in the process of making a short sword build and this would have been different. really a shame.
    Akatik
    Akatik
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Akatik Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:22 pm

IMO, a starting divine sword like that should have an A or S scaling with faith at +5 to make up for the weaker physical damage it does. That way, you could use the sword the entire game if you wanted. It still wouldn't be OP because of the weaker physical damage, but at least it would be usable at higher levels.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:07 am