Souls Series Wiki Forums

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+15
Blazefury
DxV04
gammlesvarte
jagger_1243
Yesuurd
ChizFreak
justwant2play
lextune
Tolvo
SATLOS
nhbdy
Herbo
Akatik
Serious_Much
Carphil
19 posters

I love this game!

Carphil
    Carphil
    Chat Moderator

I love this game! Empty I love this game!

Post by Carphil Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:55 pm

Because its the hardest game I ever played, because you learn from your mistakes, because there is a fantastic lore and because everytime I try to play another game, Dark Souls call me back.

Why do you like this game?
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

I love this game! Empty Re: I love this game!

Post by Serious_Much Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:59 pm

It's the one of few games that can boast having done 5 or more play throughs from me.

also opened my eyes a bit to challenging yourself with games, as oppose to just something to relax on.
    Akatik
    Akatik
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Akatik Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:59 pm

The moment I saw a Giantbomb.com quick look on this game, I got hooked. This game pretty much reminds me of what a proper 3D castlevania game should be.

I also love the way that this game doesn't do you any favors. If you want to get through it, you have to learn from your mistakes and get better.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:05 pm

i forgot to add, it's a game that makes you think for yourself, you don't get told how to do something by a blatantly obvious weak spot or an npc stating what is the way to fight something, you find out yourself how to fight things, where to go etc and that approach really grabbed me.
    Akatik
    Akatik
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Akatik Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:22 pm

Serious_Much wrote:i forgot to add, it's a game that makes you think for yourself, you don't get told how to do something by a blatantly obvious weak spot or an npc stating what is the way to fight something, you find out yourself how to fight things, where to go etc and that approach really grabbed me.

I agree. I love how there is no map for this game. When I first heard about that, I was a little afraid of getting into it. But the great thing is that the game doesn't need a map. I don't think I have ever gotten lost. The level design in this game is amazing.
    Herbo
    Herbo
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Herbo Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:01 pm

Akatik wrote:I love how there is no map for this game. When I first heard about that, I was a little afraid of getting into it. But the great thing is that the game doesn't need a map. I don't think I have ever gotten lost. The level design in this game is amazing.

And it's fun to be wandering around and occaisionally be like...wait...I don't think I remember that door/tunnel/ledge. IMO, maps are over-used to cover up crappy level design in games. For Dark Souls it would totally take away from the "oh man what's around the corner" first playthrough jitters.
    nhbdy
    nhbdy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by nhbdy Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:03 pm

The creative level design is definitely a huge reason for playing, I love it because it is an action game that forces you to think about what you are doing and what you are going to do as you fight, rather than just button mash or memorize the instant kill combo of doom or other such nonsense
    SATLOS
    SATLOS
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by SATLOS Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:08 pm

Its all about the combat! Proper spacing, not rushing in on groups of enemies, but picking targets and executing your game plan.

And, of course, the ultimate adrenaline rush of the invasion system and proper PvP battles.

I bought both Dark Souls and SKYRIM at the same time... Tried playing SKYRIM, and I've got about 10 hours in, but every time I clear a dungeon in that game, I just turn it off, put in Dark Souls, and start spamming the Red Eye Orb or doing co-op on bosses.
    Herbo
    Herbo
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Herbo Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:16 pm

SATLOS wrote:I bought both Dark Souls and SKYRIM at the same time... Tried playing SKYRIM, and I've got about 10 hours in, but every time I clear a dungeon in that game, I just turn it off, put in Dark Souls, and start spamming the Red Eye Orb or doing co-op on bosses.
    I actually picked up Kingdoms of Amalur just because...well I like games, and my cousin was super excited about it and it sort of rubbed off on me. I can't even stay interested in it. I got about 30 minutes in and I don't know if I'll go back to it any time soon. Playing it on "Hard" is like being SL 200 with full upgraded gear in the Undead Burg on NG. It's got some theatrical flair in the movements, but...ugh...Dark Souls is just going to continue to live in my PS3 :-)

I know that DkS is "easier" than DS, but it has still wrecked me for playing other games lately. I guess I just expect a game to try and beat me instead of doing everything possible to make sure the makeup is on right and tossing 20minute cinematics at me.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:29 pm

Whenever I play a game, I usually beat it in a few hours, try online but get bored while just endlessly killing people. In Dark Souls, it took me quite a while to beat it, and technically I haven't considering all the NG and Achievements. And in PvP, I lose 70% of fights to people that are just much better players than I am. And I love this game for it, the community, the challenge. I feel like playing this has made me better at gaming, and I just can't get enough of dying. I love dying.
    SATLOS
    SATLOS
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by SATLOS Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:41 pm

Herbo wrote:I actually picked up Kingdoms of Amalur just because...well I like games, and my cousin was super excited about it and it sort of rubbed off on me. I can't even stay interested in it. I got about 30 minutes in and I don't know if I'll go back to it any time soon. Playing it on "Hard" is like being SL 200 with full upgraded gear in the Undead Burg on NG. It's got some theatrical flair in the movements, but...ugh...Dark Souls is just going to continue to live in my PS3 :-)

Another good point about Dark Souls that I think a lot of people don't realize is how old-school it is in the way it reveals its lore and the game world.

Modern games (SKYRIM, Amalur) think they're so sophisticated and grand that they have to stop you and make you listen to exposition (i.e. "World Building") every 10 minutes... It's sooooo tired and soooo cliched. No offense to the story writers of those games, but we're playing a game, not reading a novel or watching a movie. Interest me with the game mechanics, not your umpteenth version of the Lord of the Rings trilogy.

Dark Souls plays it old school. The world/lore is there for those who are interested enough to seek it out, but the main reason you keep coming back is for the gameplay.

The lore is fantastic, and all the more fantastic because it forces the player to dig for it, rather than shove it down his ears every 10 minutes.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:48 pm

Tolvo wrote:Whenever I play a game, I usually beat it in a few hours, try online but get bored while just endlessly killing people. In Dark Souls, it took me quite a while to beat it, and technically I haven't considering all the NG and Achievements. And in PvP, I lose 70% of fights to people that are just much better players than I am. And I love this game for it, the community, the challenge. I feel like playing this has made me better at gaming, and I just can't get enough of dying. I love dying.

I love this man.

the other day i was playing demons souls and i beat i boss crazily quick without any trouble, I quit the game out of anger that it didn't kill me at least once while being a second stage boss.. lol
    lextune
    lextune
    Caffeinated
    Caffeinated

Post by lextune Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:50 pm

Dark Souls is by far the greatest game I have ever played.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:52 pm

Serious_Much wrote:

I love this man.

the other day i was playing demons souls and i beat i boss crazily quick without any trouble, I quit the game out of anger that it didn't kill me at least once while being a second stage boss.. lol

Maybe Dark has just honed your skills enough. big grin That is somewhat my fear of getting Demon's Souls, is that after Dark I won't get the full experience of dying around every corner. Will I be prepared? I hope Illidan is right if I ever get around to it, because I'd hate to feel like I'm playing Dynasty Warriors.

Last edited by Tolvo on Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling Correction.)
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:56 pm

You will still die, dont you worry silly

thing is it will be less often, it wont be quite the same challenge as the first playthrough of Dark Souls, but still punishing enough.

It's just i feel the bosses aren't as difficult as those in Dark Souls in general, but the mobs you have to be more careful with as there is no poise.
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:59 pm

I've gotten to Gwyn on multiple toons, and I will say this though. I really miss my first playthrough. I miss it so damn much. I love the game, but there are times where I wish I could just wipe my memory and just experience it all for the first time again. Dying to slimes dropping from a ceiling, laughing at stupid looking toads before "suddenly" getting cursed, and trying to Parry Super Smough. I miss my youth, my Dark Souls Youth. sad
    Herbo
    Herbo
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Herbo Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:02 pm

*chokes up on a baseball bat*

C'mere Tolvo! let's sort out that pesky memory of yours big grin
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:12 pm

At the same time, I don't know if I want to have to go through the Bed of Chaos again haha.
    justwant2play
    justwant2play
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by justwant2play Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:36 pm

I like this game because it reminds me of Demon's Souls. I don't think any game will top Demon's Souls, at least anytime soon.
    ChizFreak
    ChizFreak
    Revived
    Revived

Post by ChizFreak Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:36 pm

I love the difficulty it has. But after beating the game +30 times, doing all the builds I can think of, getting the Platinum, and doing PvP for a while, I can honestly say I don't know what to do next.
    Serious_Much
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:37 pm

ChizFreak wrote:I love the difficulty it has. But after beating the game +30 times, doing all the builds I can think of, getting the Platinum, and doing PvP for a while, I can honestly say I don't know what to do next.

play demon's big grin (again if applicable)
    Tolvo
    Tolvo
    Town Crier
    Town Crier

Post by Tolvo Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:37 pm

ChizFreak wrote:I love the difficulty it has. But after beating the game +30 times, doing all the builds I can think of, getting the Platinum, and doing PvP for a while, I can honestly say I don't know what to do next.
    Unarmed Level 1 no Shield no armor! cheers
    Akatik
    Akatik
    Obsessed
    Obsessed

Post by Akatik Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:50 pm

Tolvo wrote:
    Unarmed Level 1 no Shield no armor! cheers

Greatsword n crossbow, nothing else except armor.

Or try a ranger.
    nhbdy
    nhbdy
    Addicted
    Addicted

Post by nhbdy Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:59 pm

and if the other suggestions do not keep you occupied I hear a lot of people try dieing when they run out of things in their life (DISCLAIMER: I am not to be held responsible for any actions incurred by the reading of my posts, this one or otherwise)
    Yesuurd
    Yesuurd
    Insomniac
    Insomniac

Post by Yesuurd Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:00 pm

Hardcore game, difficulty makes it enjoy more your achievements.
    I come from playing Nes and especially final fantasy one where you had
    to gain experience and dia and gain and die at it, too much games out there
    that hold your hand all the way, if I had a kid I would want him to play games
    which teach him to work at achieving things again and again, just how life is
    And also the unpredictible way of things, the unforgiving way of things just like life,
    This game gives you just enough and doesn't spoil the player.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:12 am