Who picked up Kingdoms of Amalur yesterday...

meridam99

Who picked up Kingdoms of Amalur yesterday...

Post by meridam99 on Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:38 pm

...and what are your thoughts so far?
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Re: Who picked up Kingdoms of Amalur yesterday...

Post by Whknight on Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:39 pm

Roomie did, though I played the demo. First thought? "EA made this? Great something else I won't touch ever again." I have much hate to EA/DICE after the BF3 crap they pulled. Realisticly, why did they make it look like WoW?...

I don't always bask in the sun, but when I do I am grossly incandescent!

XBL(Silver) - Whknight009

Swift and True! Become a member of the Helpers Brigade!

meridam99

Post by meridam99 on Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:53 pm

I know what you are saying, but EA is only the publisher, 38 Studios and Big Huge Games "made" it. The people involved "Todd McFarlane" who did Spawn (he did the art concepts for the game, which is why it kinda looks cartoony), and R.A. Salvatore who did the Drittz books (he conceived the world for "The Reckoning" and the forthcoming MMORPG). I don't really like EA either, but why fault 38 Studios and Big Huge Games because EA gave them the best publishing deal? If you don't like EA, don't blindly buy their games off of name recognition, buy the ones you want to play. I don't play any EA games myself (not even Madden) but this game made me break my pledge and if I wasn't getting ready for the mods vs. members this Saturday, I would have broken the Cellophane already!
    Serious_Much
    Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much on Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:56 pm

I play EA games from time to time, fifa (popular in britain, dunno about anywhere else) and older need for speed games, but less so now.

seriously though im interesting in this kingdoms of amalur thing, looks kinda interesting

Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!
    Whknight
    Upgrade Master
    Upgrade Master

Post by Whknight on Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:58 pm

Ok touche, should have been 'had a hand in this.' Anyhow to not derail it yes it does look fun but I refuse to touch it, I really don't have the money to buy it if I wanted to regardless. Also in the case of my roomie owning it, they have the online pass crap going on where this code lets you access 7 single player missions, not sure when this comes into effect but that's another reason I dislike EA.

I don't always bask in the sun, but when I do I am grossly incandescent!

XBL(Silver) - Whknight009

Swift and True! Become a member of the Helpers Brigade!

meridam99

Post by meridam99 on Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:01 pm

That is more for "buying the game" versus "renting" the game. If you rent it, you don't get the codes.

Hollowed
    Hollowed

Post by nsane32 on Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:58 pm

I didnt buy it a friend did but not to bad if you like god of war its like that with rpg mixed in

I will protect my lord till the very end

Au ou Pasnic Morarta

Spoiler:

GT:nsane32
    Steam:nsane32
    Herbo
    Regular
    Regular

Post by Herbo on Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:22 pm

I picked it up yesterday.

The Good: There are a lot of customization options for building characters, equipment, etc. The game world is really pretty dang big. I actually like the art style even though some folks think it's too WoW-y. The monsters n such are pretty cool looking from the little I've seen. Game play is entertaining to look at and action oriented, and stuff like spells are really cool looking. I know some people dislike the story or whatever, but it's fine. Not every game has to have an epic story to be fun.
    The Bad: The interface is clunky. It is really really easy. Some of the world design is essentially just pretty tunnels that are skinned to look like out-door areas and you get stalled in exploring because those bushes...are actually the limits of the area. Some of the blood and pixie-dust-explosions are so overdone and oddly placed that it pushes beyond cheesey and into the realm of annoying. The story is delivered in the manner of NPC expositionary dialogue....ad nauseum

Bottom Line: It is fast paced and looks great for the style they were going for. The development of the rp elements of the game isn't really that exciting or deeply engaging. BUT this game isn't trying to give you a Skyrim story line. It is trying to give you bloody and explosive action in every fight and make every single blade thrust look like it was taken from the pages of a comic book...and for that it succeeds.

Too bad I'm still enslaved by Dark Souls big grin

pointlessly, fruitlessly, alone, tired, unloved, tragicly, comicly, heroicly, angrily, happy, rested, while taking a drink, answering the phone, being ganked by dark spirits, for daring to use a bridge, from opening a door, failing on stairs, rolling, jumping, standing, blocking, mashing buttons, using a greyed out item, attacking, with the menu up, in a "safe" spot, getting leg stabbed, set on fire, being summoned as a helper phantom into a backstab by a invader in the hosts world...
    sparkly-twinkly-lizard
    Compulsory Poster
    Compulsory Poster

Post by sparkly-twinkly-lizard on Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:53 pm

a friend described it as what would happen if dragon age and the first fable game were left alone together for some "intimate time". having played both and liked them i may get the game when it goes on sale. still prefer dark souls though, skyrim is feeling neglected and is going to stay that way for at least another 2 months.

Moderator Trainee
    Moderator Trainee

Post by Serious_Much on Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:00 am

yeah may do that too, if it's cheap ill give it a go, been given some decent ratings in the press too which i suppose helps it's cause.

and yeah sparkly im like that, my bro has got skyrim and iv played it for about 10 hours.. i dont intend on playing it again, watching him just zip through the final story mission with equipment you can get less than half way through the game is crazy, and well as someone said he so aptly, "It says something about a game when the most useful item is a bucket" silly

Sage Andarta, Founder of the Crystal Seekers; The Noble Knights

Principal GremSay of the Karmatic Gremlin Gang

Moderator of the Wiki Chatroom- Come join the fun  cheers

PRAISE. THE. SUN. lol!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:44 pm